“Made friends with most of the village!”

The Cross Keys Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Milnthorpe
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I didn't chose Cross Keys. I was just put there by the company that I visited for a week.
And that, I am soo thankful for. The hotel is in the southern Lake District and the little city of Milnthorpe is at its very best in late May. Beatrix Potter used to live in the area and her books and illustrations with rolling hills, little rivers, trees and flowers seem to influence the people living here.
The landlord and his wife and the five girls in the bar/restaurant made my stay pleasant and memorable.

The hotel is in a building that probably has been there since fifteenth or sixteenth century and extended/modernized over the years. Winding staircases and corridors - as always in real British Inns - but very well functioning in all respect. From the large selection of Ales and Lagers in the bar to the well-equipped bathroom with generous towels and frotté gowns.

The weather was nice but not hot, so I do not know what the rooms will be like in the summer. But surroundings are quiet and I slept with windows open all nigts.

The real surprise was how the locals treated a "damn furriner" like me. I was immediatley accepted and had great fun every night. I also visited the local Cricket Club and learned "all" about Cricket. I realize that I didn't - but I sure felt like I did.

Great stay at a decent cost. Will go there again. Andthen my wife will be there, too.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Skogsgurra

Reviewed 2 May 2013

My partner and i went away for a few days and stayed in this lovely hotel,we were absolutely delighted with the room,it was immaculate and the bathroom was lovely and spacious,it made our break special.The owners were really helpful and friendly and always had time for a chat and the hotel itself was lovely,my partner was very impressed with the Real Ales on sale.All the staff were friendly and we cannot find anything that was not first class.We are planning on another visit next year,for a bit longer,maybe when the Beer Festival is on :-)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Patlovesleeds H
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I stayed for 1 night very recently at The Cross Keys as I was visiting family/friends nearby. The room was immaculate and very spacious. The bathroom was spotless and equally spacious.

Breakfast was excellent with a choice of fruit, cereal and a full English to your liking.

Although it was a brief visit I would recommend to anyone visiting this beautiful part of the world. I hope to go back soon!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cosmicgirl-8
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Very happy with my stay hear rooms were very clean,bathroom spacious and you even get a bath robe and lots of little added extras you don't get in most hotels throughout your room would recommend a stay hear

• Stayed: April 2013
5  Thank Chrisrskem
Reviewed 11 October 2012 via mobile

I stay here all year round on business, Ian and Sandra provide everthing that you need at a price that is realistic. The food is nice, the rooms very clean and well appionted. Location is perfect for the Lakes, and the M6. A Large free carpark is Also provided. What more can you want.?

• Stayed: October 2012
7  Thank mikegmikeg1970
Reviewed 20 September 2012

My wife and I, stayed there on a recent trip to the Westmorland Show, to be honest the main issue here is not the Hotel but the owners/managers a husband and wife team that would not be out of place in a 70s TV comedy. Her rude, offensive and scruffy. Him stressed, inapt and scruffy. I was informed by one of the very good members of the Bar staff of which there where many and the delightful girl who served breakfast in the morning, that there had been recent problems with the Chef who had recently resigned and left them, some what in the lurch. However that would or could not explain the wife's obnoxious behavior, when I explained the lamb chops I had ordered well done arrived with a pulse!! Or why when we left the next morning he still wanted to charge for them!! I'm sorry we won't me staying there again until there is under new Management sign put up outside.
I

Room Tip: Hope you not checked in by the Management..........
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank AndrewBC2619WU
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The Cross Keys is a good budget hotel; it would perhaps benefit from some investment, but you get what you pay for. There's a warren of rooms above a busy bar and mine was comfortable enough, looking out over the main crossroads in the village. I thought the busy A6 might keep me awake but in fact there wasn't a great deal of traffic on it, and the double glazing did its job well. There are some unusual touches in the rooms; a bathrobe, which was nice, a good selection of quality shampoo and soap, and on the desk, a writing set and a pair of scissors - somebody is clearly thinking outside the box.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
8  Thank Patrick M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milnthorpe
Cumbria Grand Hotel
Travelodge Burton M6 Northbound
7 mi away
Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Lyth Valley Country Inn

Been to The Cross Keys Hotel? Share your experiences!