“Don't follow the Kendal Crowd, try Milnthorpe”

The Cross Keys Hotel
The Cross Keys Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Milnthorpe
London, United Kingdom
“Don't follow the Kendal Crowd, try Milnthorpe”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I have recently completed an End-to-End cycle ride, and this is one of the B&Bs I stayed in. My plan was to stay in privately owned facilities, rather than chains.

The Cross Keys is easy to find on the main cross roads in Milnthorpe, and an easy alternative to Kendal, just a few miles up the road. I had single occupancy of a double, with a huge bathroom and a good comfortable bed. The windows were old style sash, but double glazed, and a little bit of a faff to open. Breakfast coffee is from a Kenco cartridge system, but if these are the only two things I can find fault with, you will know that it was good quality and good value for money. Don’t follow the crowd and stay in Kendal, unless you have to, have a look at this one instead.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank RMJ1066

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Tortola
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This is a very small town, and the hotel is right on a corner giving ideal access to plenty of areas of local charm to either walk to or drive to. The room is an excellent size with king size bed, wardrobe, cupboard space. Tea and coffee facilities, with a proper kettle so you can boil water for whatever drink you require. Quaint touch, also had chocolate and horlicks drinks in the room. The cups were small but the staff were eager to help and gave me two large mugs to use. The wifi we thought was going to be a problem as we couldn't gain access in our room, quick call and the owner went to check this out and promptly called me back after he had fixed it. Only complaint IF one had to find one, was we had a room on the top floor (3) and with no lift, husband had to make a few trips to car and back with our bags (I of course waited in the room with my feet up drinking coffee) definitely come again, the hotel also being a pub had a vast array of beers on tap and the food, eaten either in the restaurant or in the bar lounge was excellent, amazing to find haddock with poached egg, bread and butter for breakfast, very nicely cooked fresh.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank esb8
Granbergsdal
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I didn't chose Cross Keys. I was just put there by the company that I visited for a week.
And that, I am soo thankful for. The hotel is in the southern Lake District and the little city of Milnthorpe is at its very best in late May. Beatrix Potter used to live in the area and her books and illustrations with rolling hills, little rivers, trees and flowers seem to influence the people living here.
The landlord and his wife and the five girls in the bar/restaurant made my stay pleasant and memorable.

The hotel is in a building that probably has been there since fifteenth or sixteenth century and extended/modernized over the years. Winding staircases and corridors - as always in real British Inns - but very well functioning in all respect. From the large selection of Ales and Lagers in the bar to the well-equipped bathroom with generous towels and frotté gowns.

The weather was nice but not hot, so I do not know what the rooms will be like in the summer. But surroundings are quiet and I slept with windows open all nigts.

The real surprise was how the locals treated a "damn furriner" like me. I was immediatley accepted and had great fun every night. I also visited the local Cricket Club and learned "all" about Cricket. I realize that I didn't - but I sure felt like I did.

Great stay at a decent cost. Will go there again. Andthen my wife will be there, too.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Skogsgurra
Burton Latimer, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2013

My partner and i went away for a few days and stayed in this lovely hotel,we were absolutely delighted with the room,it was immaculate and the bathroom was lovely and spacious,it made our break special.The owners were really helpful and friendly and always had time for a chat and the hotel itself was lovely,my partner was very impressed with the Real Ales on sale.All the staff were friendly and we cannot find anything that was not first class.We are planning on another visit next year,for a bit longer,maybe when the Beer Festival is on :-)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Patlovesleeds H
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I stayed for 1 night very recently at The Cross Keys as I was visiting family/friends nearby. The room was immaculate and very spacious. The bathroom was spotless and equally spacious.

Breakfast was excellent with a choice of fruit, cereal and a full English to your liking.

Although it was a brief visit I would recommend to anyone visiting this beautiful part of the world. I hope to go back soon!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cosmicgirl-8
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Very happy with my stay hear rooms were very clean,bathroom spacious and you even get a bath robe and lots of little added extras you don't get in most hotels throughout your room would recommend a stay hear

• Stayed April 2013
5 Thank Chrisrskem
Reviewed 11 October 2012 via mobile

I stay here all year round on business, Ian and Sandra provide everthing that you need at a price that is realistic. The food is nice, the rooms very clean and well appionted. Location is perfect for the Lakes, and the M6. A Large free carpark is Also provided. What more can you want.?

• Stayed October 2012
7 Thank mikegmikeg1970
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milnthorpe
The Wheatsheaf at Beetham
Premier Inn Kendal Central Hotel
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#4 of 14 in Kendal

Been to The Cross Keys Hotel? Share your experiences!