All reviews car park cooked breakfast large bathroom four poster bed pub hotel full english beer garden next morning great pub ample parking stayed for one night take away comfortable hotel pie decent quality nice breakfast sunday afternoon
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

I visited as part of a small group for a wedding recently. Originally booked through Hotels.com for two guests, one member of our party rang the hotel well in advance to inform staff that there would be 4 guests staying at 'the Cottage' instead of 2 and could we request early check in due to the time of the wedding. These requests were fulfilled very well - we were told there would be no increase of the £95 paid at booking and we could check in at 11.30.

Fast forward to our visit... we arrived at half 11 to pretty much the entire car park being closed for a family fun day (we were told we would be able to park our car in the car park on arrival). This meant that a member of staff kindly allowed me to park on his drive nearby (still not really okay), but the other car in our party had to park 1 mile!! up the road at another hotel where she was told that 'this has happened before at the Cross Keys'. There was no apologies for this inconvenience and the impression we got was that we just had to deal with it. Check in was completed by Simone who was very friendly and confirmed we would pay £95 for the room.

The Cottage was described as 'undergoing refurbishment' and oh my does it seriously need it (as well as a good clean). The kitchen was outdated and filthy - we even had exclusive access to a dusty and terrifying staired cellar which could have been dangerous with children. There was so much mildew on the window panes and throughout the bathroom that I didnt feel brave enough to risk a shower in the morning. Furniture is very very dated, however the bedding and towels (bar the bath mat) appeared very clean. Location wise you can access the Cottage through the bar or via a small lane onto the main street, however it is directly off the smoking area so was noisy until quite late and we were greeted with the sight of vomit on one bench in the morning.

The morning after, we attended breakfast at 9am through a bar that smelt of a delightful egg-beer
combo (breakfast finishes at 9.30am) but the waitress didn't actually make eye contact with us until 9.30am let alone take our order despite only 2 other tables being in. Breakfast disappointed after the wait as all our orders had at least one mistake and we never got any toast.

To add insult to injury, on check-out we were made to feel that we had got a 'great deal' and they were 'doing us a favour' on the cottage at £95 and actually we should have paid £95 PER COUPLE. Trust me, the Cottage is definately not worth £95 a night, let alone £190 for 4 people. If asked, we honestly would have refused to pay it as staff obviously do not communicate or have a proper booking system in
place.

Sorry for the extra long review - it's hard to put into words when you have a stay that honestly is just laughable. If only I was a stand up and I would have some great material. My opinion would be that this is NOT 4 star in any way, steer clear until management understand what presentable means for accomodation and I'm really looking forward to reading the generic reply I'll no doubt recieve for this very honest review!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
CooperUK, Owner at The Cross Keys Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2018

Hi
Thanks for taking the timem to leave us a review.

As per previous review from another member of your party i can only apologise for the car park being out of action for a family fun day. it is the first time we have ever done this raising money for local Charites and entertaining the local community . I'm sorry we didn't meet with expectations and your comments have bene taken on board as this is not the service the team are trained to deliver.

I hope that you do try us again in the future

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed in the cottage for an overnight stay while our close friends got married nearby! From the start of the visit it just went downhill. No one advised us on booking that the car park would be out of action whilst the friends we shared the cottage with were able to park on an employees drive we had to ask a nearby hotel as there wasn’t room for our car if we could park there. They were happy to let us and then made a joke of the fact we were staying at the cross keys this didn’t hold us in good hopes. Whilst the beds were clean everything was filthy. I felt dirtier after getting out the shower with the mouldy bath mats etc. The kitchen was something out of a horror film, disgusting mugs mouldy cutlery I washed all before being able to make a cup of tea then washed them all again to save some poor soul having to go through what we did! On checking in we were advised it was dated and that some previous guests had spilt red wine all over the walls. This wasn’t even half the problem. On our way to breakfast this morning there was vomit all over one of the outdoor benches! Very pleasant...
breakfast was an absolute comedy sketch it was that bad we waited for over thirty mins before asked what we’d like with only two other tables in! There was no coffee or juices and then our order were wrong the waitress purposely ignored us when we asked for a menu (the grammar on it was absolutely shocking) and although polite once we got served the food was a let down with no one able to eat! No one received the black pudding they asked for but by this point it had been that bad no one could even be bothered to ask... no toast or anything. When checking out we were nearly asked to pay more and were made out it was a favour at 95 a night. We were so deflated we couldn’t even face complaining as it was just vile.
We had a wonderful time at the wedding it’s just such a shame this place had so much potential yet was such a let down! It didn’t ruin our weekend but we certainly won’t return and we’re just in complete shock at the four star status.
Sorry cross keys you didn’t cut the mustard.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Sophia H

Hi
Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review.

I'm not sure why the car park wouldn't be available unless it was when we had our local family fun day and the car was taken up by stalls and activities for families and charity. The rest of your review concerns me and I've passed the comments onto the team to investigate. I'm sorry we didn't meet with your expectations on this time and I can assure you that this isn't how you should have been treated.

I hope that you do try us again in the future

Reviewed 5 August 2018

Enjoyed an overnight stay at the Cross Keys as part of a cycling tour. My room was comfortable and clean. Dinner and breakfast were both good.
All the staff I met were very friendly and helpful. I would happily stay here again.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
CooperUK, Owner at The Cross Keys Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2018

hi

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review

i'm glad you enjoyed your visit to us and your meal. we hope to see you again next time your in the area

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Both ladies who served breakfast were lovely and the staff I met were very welcoming. The breakfast was also nice however there is only one cooked option which is a full english however, you can ask for a different variation of it.

The room was dirty with limescale and mold on tiles in bathroom and dust on toilet when i first entered the room. As well as, a carpet which had stains on it (it seemed things had been tidied instead of cleaned). Except from the bed which was clean. On my last night staying here, there was a strong smell of garlic when I entered the room (I assume the smell was from the pub downstairs). Whilst I was asleep I was woken up by people moving in and out of the staff rooms outside my room at 1 and 3 am.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Bea C
CooperUK, Owner at The Cross Keys Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review

I'm sorry we didn't meet with your expectations on this occasion. Your comments have been taken on board and fed back to the team to investigate and resolve. We hope this hasn't put you off completely for a return visit and hope to see you again

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Just had the loveliest hunter chicken and steak and ale pie for tea before our long journey. Scrumptious! At the Cross Keys Milnthorpe. Totally dog and child friendly. Well worth a visit. Friendly staff and nice light environment. Pop in and see

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review.

I'm so happy you enjoyed your visit to us and was satisfied with our steak pie. it certainly is a big hit on our new menu. We hope to see you again soon when your next in the area.