“Climb a mountin for your 50th”
Review of YHA Wasdale Hall

YHA Wasdale Hall
Reviewed 8 May 2013

This hostel was Fantastic me and 9 friends stayed 2 night and I would definitely go back. The manager and staff were so friendly and helpful and the food was great for a reasonable price. Also it has a great lounge area and the views are breathtaking. So I would like to say thank you for making my birthday weekend unforgettable.

Regard

Mark

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank mark p

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Definitely a hostel I'd come back to. The location on the lake is magnificent and hostel just looks amazing.

We were made to feel welcome from the start and the staff were very kind, helpful and generous. We only stayed the Friday night before heading off to wild-camp below Great Cable and Scafell Pike, however, we were welcomed back on Sunday afternoon and the staff had allowed us to use the showers and facilities even though we weren't staying the Sunday night. It was really great to freshen up before heading south and for that my friend and I are really grateful.

I don't think a one night stop over really does this hostel justice, so I definitely plan to come back and spent more time in the area. My thanks to Ged and the other members of the team at the hostel for being so accommodating.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We spent two nights last weekend with our walking group (22 of us) at this hostel. The hosts were very friendly and helpful, they also seemed to be enjoying their work. We must also make a mention of Geoff the dog a very entertaining addition to the hostel staff!

The food was wholesome and well cooked. We had both evening meals and breakfasts at the hostel and enjoyed all the meals.

They have a very comfortable library/lounge and a games room in the basement. There is also good parking at this hostel.

Its in an excellent location on the shores of Wastwater and handy to some of the Lake District's best walking. We were very fortunate as we had dry and clear conditions on all three days.

It looks like the YHA or National Trust have spent some money on the building which is good news.

The dorms were all very comfortable and everyone in our group enjoyed the weekend.

A great place to stay especially if you are a walker.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Excellent food from a really helpful staff with friendly attitude.Plenty of space in bedroom. Superb base to explore one of the best areas in the Lakes. Good to see improvements that have been made to a magnificent building that was deteriorating at one time. I could not fault it in any way.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 March 2013 via mobile

Haven't stayed in a YHA for many years, but this is a lovely hostel: great location, comfortable, homely and very clean. A big thank you to the team for exceptional service under trying conditions. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 23 March 2013

This YHA is indeed a very beautiful location and a nice place to stay just in front of the Wast Water. The place is divine in the early morning I spent here. the beautiful lake and the hills opposite was drenched in a magical blue shade, with the snow covered Scafell peak is just behind. There are a few rooms from where just open your eyes in the morning to see the snow cladded mountain.
This is not a luxury starred hotel, but definitely a starred hostel. Clean and very well maintained. The drawing room with the huge fireplace and the books around takes you to Victorian feelings. The staffs are very helpful and we were guided very well for the next day planning.
Really an affordable stay with affordable food option, ample of parking, kitchen for self cooking option. Only a few note of caution, somehow this YHA location was not featured in the GPS. So was a bit difficulty to find the route. Also as per the GPS, the hotel is guided through hardknott pass when travelling from Wndermere. This road is avoidable in the winter as well as in other time too as its one of the stiffest pass and my vehicle gave up badly. So take the route only when you are comfortable with your car

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights, 5th and 6th March 2013. Had a great stay in this beautiful remote valley. I arrived around 5:30 pm after an excellent day up Great Gable and Kirk Fell. The weather was surprisingly clear and sunny! Check in was quick, evening meal, breakfast and packed lunch for the following day ordered. The staff were friendly, helpful and chatty, asking how my day had gone and where I had been. Showered and fed and as there was no t.v. and a football game I fancied watching on that night. I asked and the girl on reception and she phoned a local pub to ask if they were showing it. Result! I got directions and was on my way! Second day I was off up Scafell Pike and as I was walking alone, they asked what time I would be back. Great customer service as if I hadn't been back it could have been a call to the Mountain Rescue. All right it's a youth hostel and shared rooms, so you know what you're getting. But all in all clean with hot water and decent food together with great customer service. I would definately stop here again.

• Stayed: March 2013
The Strands Inn & Strands Brewery
Low Wood Hall Hotel
Low Wood Hall Hotel
#2 of 2 in Nether Wasdale

Been to YHA Wasdale Hall? Share your experiences!