“Lovely relaxing visit”

Muncaster's Coachman's Quarters
Ranked #4 of 5 Ravenglass B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Stayed at Muncaster 11/12 December on KGB deal - the quarters were very clean and comfy we were in room 1 which was adapted for disabled overlooking owl sanctuary - quarters very well appointed would be ideal for a large group or family. There was no mobile signal but wi-fi was easily accessed and fast. There are no pubs or restaurants nearby but we ate at the ratty arms in Ravenglass serving hearty pub grub with very friendly hosts - staff at The Pennington offered us a lift if we went down in the evening. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Walked around the grounds in the morning and then into owl sanctuary -as it was out of season we felt we had the place to ourselves!! Owls were brilliant and very well cared for - saw the heron feeding 21 wild herons flew in -an amazing sight!! We were very lucky to be joined at breakfast by Patrick the castle owner - what a lovely man. We had a wonderful stay can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Drivingforcesteve

Reviewed 12 December 2012

We decided to stay Muncaster as a birthday treat, the weather on the Saturday was bad which obscured the lovely surrounding's, on the Sunday the weather was sunny which really complimented the house, grounds and surrounding scenery. The quarters were clean but room 3 a little small but cozy feel, good tea and coffee facilities. Our room overlooked the Owl grounds and they have a huge range of owls which are free to guests, they have Red kites and a Buzzard.
Entry to the castle £2 for guests, breakfast excellent. The only downside is there is not much outside the grounds in terms of shops, Ravenglass couple of pubs and a store which is not always open, had to travel to a Mace (Petrol garage) 4 miles up the road {left turn on leaving castle} to get some wine and ice cream, further up over the bridge nice pub with big food portions. Visited Wastwater which is not to far away, in all great weekend which i recommend highly.

Room Tip: Room 3 over looks the Owl grounds
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2012

An absloutely beautiful place, friendly staff, great breakfast and the owls are very well cared for and are very interesting. However our room was so small that my husband said he felt like he was sitting in his mates bedroom like teenagers! Definitely in need of a lick of paint and some TLC - although it was clean. Still, not 4 star by any stretch as advertised - I would say a good 2 star. The biggest disappointment for us was there was no access to a bar! This should be clearly advertised for those visiting for a winter break. And as there are no shops or other places within walking distance we were very, very bored in the evening. So much so that we booked for two nights but came home after one. The scenery is breathtaking, and the grounds are very well cared for. But if you want more than a pretty place, a good breakfast and a bed then you should look elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Beksville
Reviewed 23 November 2012

I stayed in Room 5 for 3 nights (19/20/21 Nov 12).
Good points:
Bedroom was fairly basic to look at, fair sized, no desk, twin beds pushed together plus bunk beds in one corner. The bed was very comfortable.
The ensuite shower room was again fairly basic to look at, but the shower was excellent.
Other reviewers have commented favourably on the breakfast at this B&B, and I can only agree. Service was extremely fast, and the cooked breakfast was amazingly good; probably the best I have had in any hotel. Highly recommended.
There is a comfortable lounge and well equipped kitchen for the use of guests.
All staff were extrremely friendly and welcoming, although they were unable to assist with my internet problems.
Bad points:
This B&B is a complete communications black-spot. Can't really blame geography on the hotel, but it is an important point to note. There is one spot approximately 50 yards from the hotel from where it is possible to make calls (in the pouring rain), but once you're back in the room, forget it. I have 2 phones with 3 service providers, and apart from the one spot mentioned above, I didn't get any signal until I was 2 miles down the road. This may actually be a plus point for some people, but was a pain for me because I need to stay in contact with work, family, etc, and I missed several important calls.
The (free) wi-fi internet was also down for all three days of my stay, and staff were unable to assist; doubly frustrating due to the above mobile phone problems. Several different reasons given for the failure by staff, who in fairness, did offer to let me use their own office network to send email.
On the last evening, I took a 20 minute walk into nearby Ravenglass to meet friends staying at another hotel (Pennington) owned by the same chain. I had stayed there myself previously, and my blackberry picked up the wi-fi as soon as I walked into the bar. Heaven! As a reflection of how friendly the staff are across this whole hotel group, I began walking back to the Coachman's at approx 2030 hrs. I only got about 150 yards up the road when the barman came running after me to offer me a lift back. He didn't need to do that, and I was extremely grateful and impressed.
In summary, a pleasant, comfortable B&B with friendly staff and a terrific breakfast, but may not be suitable if you need to keep in touch.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 November 2012

On arrival we were QUICKLYl shown our room. En route a kitchen & lounge were pointed out to us but not SHOWN. Although we had booked in advance there was no heating on, that had to be put on right away. The member of staff then left saying if you need anything phone the emergency number. The room was small, 'pokey' in fact. The ensuite had a bath but the shower was not attached to the wall, there was no shower screen/curtain. There was a glass shelf above the wash hand basin which was ready to come of the wall. We had to travel 16 mile .round trip to buy supplies for eating as they don't do evening meals. The gardens & surroundings were pleasant. I suppose the saving grace was the breakfast in Creepy Kate's Kitchen which was served by a very pleasant lady. On departing when we handed in the key we were not even asked if we had a pleasant stay, which was probably just as well as I'm sure they would not have been happy to hear our thoughts. This was booked through 'Unique Places To Stay' , which I suggest they take this place off their list. The whole ambience was that of a hostel NOT a 4 star B&B.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank magsger
Reviewed 9 November 2012

we had room 1 in the coachman's quarters for a 2 night stay. The room was very spacious and well laid out for disabled people (which thankfully doesn't apply to us). The room was also very warm (nice as we stayed in November).

There is a good sized lounge, and also a lift for disabled folk (which Mother in Law found very useful).

We were extremely lucky with the weather, and the views from the grounds were stunning. The Castle closed the day we arrived, but the Owl sanctuary was very nice.

The staff were very helpful and friendly, and breakfast was also very nice. Not quite 5 stars but certainly a very high 4. Would certainly go back and recommend.

Room Tip: Room 1 is large and has been decked out for disabled folk
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2012

The Castle itself was very impressive, and the room was much more than we expected. I stayed with my wife for one night with a voucher that was given to us as a gift last Christmas. It was Hallowe'en weekend, so they had a few things going on. It's claimed to be one of the most haunted places in the UK, and there's definitely an eerie feel about the place. In a good way mind. There isn't much to do in the area, and we had a 20 minute walk in hailstone to find the nearest pub. It's a nice little place though, and if you're into your history and culture then there is plenty of that about. The views from the castle grounds are quite spectacular too. I have absolutely no complaints about the room either. It was more of a medium size apartment than a room, and was very warm and comfortable.

Room Tip: My wife and I were in room 9, and it was very spacious. I don't know anything about the other ro...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple