“second honeymoon”
Review of The Pennington

The Pennington
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ravenglass
Reviewed 28 April 2012

have never used trip adviser before as i prefer to make my own judgement on hotels as a lot of it is down to individual taste, but having just returned from a stay at the Pennington i felt compelled to share my experience. when they heard it was our silver wedding they upgraded us to the honeymoon suite at no extra cost and from that moment on, nothing was too much trouble. We ate in the estuary restaurant and the food would not have been out of place in a top London hotel, it was wonderful, presentation and taste were excellent, i did not expect that sort of food in a tiny village in the lake district. All the staff were helpful, pleasant and well mannered especially Barry, the duty manager, after my husband locked the keys in our bedroom{and it was the spare as the key swipe had broken} he looked after us and got a locksmith out to get us in and really could not do enough for us, so if you read this Barry, a huge thank you, some of the staff are very young but have impeccable manners and do there job very well, so well done to you all, maybe the staff at the nearby pub could do with taking some lessons in manners!!!

1  Thank sonfitzpatrick
There are newer reviews for The Pennington

Reviewed 25 April 2012

We loved this hotel in the peaceful village of Ravenglass. Good size room with marvellous bathroom, generous tea/coffee/chocolate provision. freeview tv, free wi-fi. All very clean and well furished and decorated. Good restaurant menu and splendid bar menu which can be taken in bar or restaurant. Food was good and both Real Ales on offer were excellent. Nice lounge, outdoor drinking area and very good views from front of hotel across the estuary. Breakfast superb. We will definitely be back.

1  Thank Chas G
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Just returned from the Pennington Hotel after spending three days with them on a KGB deal. We paid £79 for two people for two nights and have to say I was embarrassed to accept all the hospitality and first class accommodation that was offered to myself and my fiance from the wonderful staff for the money we paid. I would have paid £579 it was so good.

Debs on reception was so welcoming after our long journey, the room was out of this world and so was the bar and restaurant. We ate at the Ratty Arms the first night and at the hotel on the second night. There was a £23 set meal for three courses and the food was out of this world.. Would go as far as to say the best food that I have ever eaten, top marks to Darren the chef (he some how found out it was my birthday and my raspberry parfait was decorated with Happy Birthday, such a lovely touch). The head waiter was wonderful and the young guys behind the bar even remembered what we were drinking the night before.

Ravensglass is the hidden gem of the Lakes and a place that is a must to visit by all. There is plenty to do and see, when you have been once you will definitely want to return again

Room Tip: Ask for room 11!
3  Thank mimilisa
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The Pennington is in a lovely location, well worth a walk before or after the meal. The restaurant is quite modern and I think a more seaside type rustic charm may suit it better. The staff were pleasant and attentive, we went for the 3-course dinner at a fixed £23. The menu was quite adventurous, with both my wife and I trying different things. Whilst my courses were only average to good my wife enjoyed all her courses. My soup was flavoursome but could have been warmer and my pheasant was rather dry and lacking taste, however I enjoyed the experience overall. My overall rating was judged more on my wife's comments.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

My husband & I stayed at The Pennington for 2 nights in April. We had room #3, a large, comfortable room on the ground floor with a wonderful view of the estuary. The bed was comfortable, the customer service was impeccable, the location was perfect, and the breakfast (included) each morning was delicious. Although the TV and WiFi both experienced technical difficulties during our stay (the TV kept cutting out (satellite problems?) and the WiFi didn't work during our 2nd night), we enjoyed our stay immensely and would return in a second.

Ravenglass is an adorable, friendly village with several scenic walking routes surrounding the area. We had plenty to entertain us during our stay and relaxing at the hotel (with either a pint of local real ale or coffee plus dessert) topped off each day perfectly.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stayed for 2 nights on a voucher deal. Faboulous location. The hotel staff are extremely welcoming and helpful. The rooms have everything you could need, and the entire hotel is spotless. Ate in the restaurant on one night. The food and presentation was exceptional. It was a great deal of £23 per head for a 3 course meal including a bottle of wine! Breakfast was also great.
Lovely area for walks. Also had a meal in The Ratty Arms by the station which was lovely.
We will definitely come back for a stay, even at normal room rates.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We visited the Pennington after finding a special deal and what a fantastic find. The room was lovely, very clean and modern with everything you could need and even fresh coffee!!!
We decided to eat in the restaurant as was knocked out by the quality and presentation of the food (the free bottle of wine was well received too).
All the Staff were friendly and professional and couldnt do enough for us.We will definitely be returning soon.

1  Thank Danni B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ravenglass
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
#6 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Gosforth Hall Inn
Gosforth Hall Inn
#2 of 2 in Gosforth

Been to The Pennington? Share your experiences!