“The little restaurant with a big heart.”

The Inn at Ravenglass
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Ravenglass
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We went to the Inn at Ravenglass last Saturday night (05/07/14) for a meal, although we had never been there before the manager Debbs made us feel very welcome, in fact you would think she had known us for years, she was full of information about the Real Ales on sale, when it came to the food she reminded us that it was first and foremost a fish restaurant, in fact there is only one other fish restaurant in the whole of Cumbria, she then informed us that the fish had been caught locally and supplied to her by the local fishmonger. The menu was very comprehensive, the resultant food was of a very high standard, on more that one occasion either Debbs or one of her waitresses came the see if the food was ok.
I would fully recommend this restaurant to my friends if they were in the area, plus I look forward to going there again, incidently the Fish Soup with smoked haddock in is to die for.

There are newer reviews for The Inn at Ravenglass

Reviewed 1 July 2014

The Inn opened for Easter and we decided to try it, wasn't disappointed the food was very very good, the service was slick and professional, you were made to feel very welcome, the dinning room was very friendly & welcoming if small. We will most certainly visit again and recommend it to all those folks that like good food especially FISH! which is caught locally.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We were staying locally on the campsite and at first thought that we had found the ideal place to eat. We were disappointed on several counts.
The owners have only been in residence for a year and only selling food for a few weeks, but by now must have realised that they are grossly understaffed. Tables stood laden with dirty dishes for long, long periods until the kitcken girl came out and tried her best to clear away the dirty plates. However, she left the job unfinished and attended to something else. We were around for five nights and during all this time we had to wait for the one bar person ro serve the customers. The big downer was when a customer came in with two wet untethered dogs, one of which proceded to brush past me and as a result I, and one or two more customers got wet legs. One dog then proceeded to piddle in the middle of the floor to the amazement of all except the pub owner, who seemed totally unconcerned.
Some short time later another dog-owner complete with big dog came in and we were entertained by snarling canines. All this time the pub owner just carried on serving beer.
On the plus side they keep good real ale and appear to have a nice menu, mainly locally sourced seafood.
We were hoping to eat at the pub on the Monday evening, but after the dog episode and the fact that no food is served on Sunday or Monday we luckily avoided this "treat"

2  Thank hotfeat44
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We recently visited the area for 4 nights and stayed just outside the small village of Ravensglass. We tried this inn on our first evening, as the menu was extensive and very tempting. The food was first class and the pub very friendly. We thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and listening to the locals enjoying their evening out too. We went back on our last evening, but it was fully booked and the landlady apologised, but we hadn't given it a thought that being a Saturday it would be very busy. We continued with our drinks order and sat outside watching the sunset. We departed, as we thought we had better look for somewhere else to eat before it got too late, as we walked around the corner the landlady came chasing after us. She had just had a party ring to say they would be late, so she said she could fit us in. We were delighted, we went back and had another lovely meal. Wonderful food and a very good price. It's quite a down to earth pub, but lots of character and very friendly, just how we like it.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I went to the Inn at Ravenglass a couple of weeks ago,
The whole experience was very mixed.
Firstly I must stress all staff were very friendly and genuinely tried their best.
I started with a couple of drinks before ordering any food, the lady behind the bar was doing her best but working alone so the service was a little slow.
I did think that maybe this was a sign of how things may go and this was confirmed when whilst sitting next to two couples outside who had been waiting 20 minutes for a couple of coffee's.
I decided to order food anyway as I was not in a rush, I asked the waitress if I could order the food and a drink to which she replied 'could you please get your drink from the bar' this wasn't a problem but I thought a little odd and I was a wee bit concerned that I may lose my table but someone offered to save it for me.
Then the food.
I chose a Monkfish Wellington which I have to say was very nice, everything was cooked well and the balance of the meal clear to see, however the portion was very much on the minimal side and although this was fine I did wonder why they hadn't suggested I may like to consider a side order when ordering the main.
This was I have to say put right when I asked the waitess if she could get some creamed potatoes to me quickly which in fairness she did.
If that had been the end of the experience then this review would have been in the whole positive but it didn't end there.
I asked for the bill on completing my meal I said I would retire to the bar and ordered another drink, I then waited and waited, so I asked again to be told 'I'm sorry I will sort it now', another ten minutes passed and I asked again, another apology and then another near ten minute wait and finally the lady behind the bar said ' oh you want your bill don't you, what did you have' so I told her and she said 'that's £18 pounds' no paper receipt.
I honestly felt if I had wanted to I could have left without paying and without anyone even blinking.
The other mistake I made was asking for a drink at the same time I paid the bill, the words of 'I will sort that in a minute filled me with dread' 10-15 minutes later I finally finally got the drink I had ordered.
so what is the gripe?
not the friendliness of the staff
not the quality and price of the food and drink
not the atmosphere of the place
its all just about the level of service, the place was quite busy and I do understand that, it is really just an observation that what they really need on a Saturday night is some more staff.
would I eat there again?
yes I think I would, but not if I was in a hurry to go anywhere after.
Could do better