“Recommend for your visit for South Lake District”

Muncaster Country Guest House
Ranked #3 of 5 Ravenglass B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Have just departed from this B and B after 2 nights while attending a family wedding at Muncaster Castle across the road. This converted schoolhouse is a great place to stay both for the castle and its owl collection or to explore the Southern Lakes and Coast.
Our hosts were delightful and nothing was too much trouble for them. The lounge boasts the most comfortable high-backed sofas and a glorious log burner. While I went out walking, my wife curled up on a sofa in front of the fire and our hosts plied her with cups of tea without her having to ask.
Great bedroom, shower and duvet just right.
Breakfast was very good and included crumpet and fruit bread options, which is unusual.
There is an honesty bar that is well-stocked and Sky-TV in the lounge, although the current ashes performance put both myself and my host off watching late into the night.
All-in-all highly recommended. If I am back this way again, this is where I will stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SpiggyMason

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I stayed here several times during the last years - and I'd always come back!!!! A very welcoming atmosphere, very good food, beautiful rooms... even muddy boots and wet stinky coats are now problem! It felt so good to come to the guest house totaly wet after a whole day in the rain - having a shower before sitting in front of the fireplace having a coffee. Thanks for everything Sue and Vin!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed one night in this guest house as I was attending a wedding party at Muncaster Castle and I wish I could have stayed longer. The owners are very nice. The bedrooms are spacious, and tastefully decorated and the beds are very comfy. They have a lovely lounge with an honesty bar, a tv and lots of boardgames. The breakfast was divine and the service during breakfast superb. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, its romantic for couples, quiet if you prefer to spend some time alone and for families I am sure children would love it too. Its location is perfect for walkers and of course people attending events at the castle. I would love to go back at Christmas time. Thanks again for a brief but lovely stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I have family who live in the area so I know it well, but this was the first time that I'd stayed at the Country Guest House and I can thoroughly recommend the experience. I was in a separate annexe, with plenty of self-catering utilities and a Freeview TV service; for full access to satellite TV I was able to use the residents' lounge with its honesty bar - a refreshing touch in such a untrusting age.

The room was warm and welcoming, the service was friendly and attentive and the breakfasts were more than sufficient; even though the weather was wet the spirits were high. There is free wi-fi internet access - when I stayed this didn't reach to my annexe but there was no problem with access from the lounge. I didn't have dinner in the guest house, but if the breakfasts are anything to go by I'm sure that'll be high quality too. Overall an experience I'll be happy to repeat in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights whilst horse riding nearby. After a day on the wet and windy fells the warm and comfortable visitors lounge with its log burner was very welcoming. Room 5 was large and beautifully fitted out, especially en-suite. Hosts very friendly and helpful and breakfasts excellent. Although a little off the main Lake District there is plenty to do nearby. Be warned - hardly any mobile reception in guest house although you can use landline free of charge. Great to have a real break away from demands of work and family! We would definitely recommend this guest house to all our friends.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back enable you to see some interesting birds.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Loved our stay. Everything was perfect don't hesitate to book this Guest House. The rooms are very spacious and spotless with nice décor. A lovely cosy lounge and the dining room over looks the gardens. Excellent.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Stayed here for a wedding in the nearby castle with some friends. Beautiful old school building, which is more like a cottage. Fantastic lounge area. All warm with log fire. Breakfasts were hearty and plenty of food! Free wifi, sky tv in lounge. Would come again!

• Stayed: September 2013