“Pretty much flawless.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Scales
Scales Farm Country Guest House
Ranked #1 of 1 Scales B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Pretty much flawless.”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I've stayed in quite a number of B&Bs in my time and I can say hand on heart that I've never received service of the level that Scales provided. Every annoying request that I had was handled brilliantly and they even went so far as to get up extraordinarily early to provide breakfast to us as we had to set out at the crack of dawn for a cycling event.

The reception area is very cosy (and we appreciated the tea and cake after a very long journey) and the room was very comfortable. There were plenty of towels / bedding and in the unlikely event that the radiators would not suffice for your warmth, there was even an electric (oil filled) radiator and a separate electronic fan heater to heat you up.

One really clever touch I noticed was using the heat from the back of the room fridge to warm a cupboard near the front door where you could put your damp clothes to dry ready for the next day. Nothing like putting on toasty warm gloves before heading out into the brisk northern air. :)

Only two minor things I'd note about the room that weren't perfect were that the shower had fairly low pressure (and was difficult to get the temperature right on) and that the bathroom fan was a little noisy (maybe off balance or needing some lubrication?). But really, that's just nitpicking as both were fit for purpose.

I'm terrible for names, but the three staff I met were all brilliant. Very friendly, very helpful and very knowledgeable on the local area. If I was to return to the Lake District for any reason then I'd certainly know where I'd be staying.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Wow! Says it all really.

Very warmly greeted by Helen upon arrival. Beautiful house. Everything is tickety boo here.

Tea and cakes awaiting our arrival. Awesome!

Room spotlessly clean, well appointed. Comfortable beds, great coverings. Fridge full of refreshments, lots of tea, coffee and biscuits. Excellent shower and great toiletries. Very, very quiet and no traffic noise (in room #6) though main road right in front.

Very comfortable lounge to hang about in. Walking info throughout including a great 3D relief map of the Lake District (available at Stanfords Map Shop in London).

Pub next door with excellent meals, great beer selection and very friendly staff. Helen had booked us a table prior to our arrival.

Morning breakfast was excellent with high quality food.

Stayed in Scales as part of the Wainwright Memorial Walk. Very well positioned for Blencathra.

This is an absolutely outstanding property that is well run, comfortable, welcoming and an incredible value. Congratulations to you all on job very well done.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Me & my partner stayed for 2 x nights in July 2013!

Rooms- we stayed in cottage 1 This room is used for guests with dogs (we are dog owners & booked this place because it was dog friendly) the room was spotless and unlike other placs we have stayed that have been dog friendly there was no wet doggy smells or other people dog hair! The rooms are light & airy with lovely bedding?

Staff- are very knowledgable and chatty....but not in your face and leave you to get on with your trip! On arrival we were welcomed with amazing homemade cake & a pot of coffee (all complementary).

The breakfast- was great they had a large selection of cereals & juices, and the cooked breakfast was yum!

If your looking for a chilled few nights away or an actioned packed walking / cycling weekend this is your place!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Three friends and I stopped off at this B&B for an impromptu breakfast as it lay on the route we were taking around the base of the fells on our walk towards Mosedale.
Despite having just missed the official scheduled breakfast time we were still able to enjoy much needed cups of tea and coffee and a cooked breakfast was quickly provided. The proprietors were extremely friendly and accomodating from start to finish, without that breakfast I don't think we would have survived the rest fo the walk.
I will certainly reccomend this place to anyone thinking of staying in the lakes as it is conveniently located, very friendly and very good value.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I recently stayed at scales farm guest house with my dad we had planned to walk across sharp edge and summit blencathra while we stayed here, we did summit blencathra but didn't manage to go across sharp edge due to weather conditions.
We arrived on Thursday the 8th of August and Helen who runs scale farm gave us both a big welcome.
The guest house was spacious clean and it had a very relaxing feel to it.
Our room was very comfortable and clean and we had plenty of room to move around.
The guest house had plenty of reference guides and Helen and her husband had a wealth of knowledge especially about blencathra and sharp edge.
Our breakfast in the morning was very good with a great choice of things on the menu.
We couldn't manage to book a full 3 nights due to a golden wedding that had sole use of scales farm so me and my dad had to stay down the road at a place called the hollies, this guest house was no way on the same level as scales and didn't have a friendly feel to it.
Scales farm is a credit to Helen and her husband.
Thank you for our stay and making us feel so welcome future trip on the cards to complete sharp edge.
Giles Wilson

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Puts many a hotel to shame. Kippers for breakfast were superb for husband and vege breakfast for me great. Stayed in room 6 which was large, airy, extremely well laid out. A lovely 2 days with my family who occupied the other rooms.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2013

From the first call to the moment we left everything was what we wanted. So if you want a great room, fantastic food, exemplary service and enjoy feeling your custom is appreciated then look no further and book now. Excellent, we will be back.

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scales
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
Horse & Farrier Inn
#1 of 4 in Threlkeld
Lane Head Farm Country Guest House
Netherdene Country House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Scales Farm Country Guest House? Share your experiences!