“GOOD FOOD”
Review of Moorcock Inn

Moorcock Inn
Ranked #4 of 12 Sedbergh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Rather than drive straight home to Cheshire we decided to have dinner at the Moorcock Inn which advertised on a sign outside the pub "Food served all day". We entered the pub at 17.35 and my husband went to the bar to order the drinks. When he asked for the menu he was told rather brusquely that food was not being served until after 18.00. We had no problem with this but he was not offered the menu so we could look at it prior to ordering at 18.00. The landlady seemed a bit grumpy so he did not like to return to ask for it but we asked the girl cleaning the table and she was happy to let us have two menus. A plus point for Moorcock is that there are gluten free meals on the menu and my husband was very pleased with his g/f choice of Moorcock chilli con carne. There is not much choice for vegetarians so I went for the goats cheese tart which was delicious. Maybe the landlady was having a 'bad hair day' but she could not be described as 'welcoming'.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JENNYWREN778

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Visited here with my husband and a couple of friends. Service was good and the food was absolutely delicious. Couldn't fault it. I had whitebait which was to die for and the most gorgeous game casserole. Didn't have room for a dessert. The wine was delicious too.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sharon M
Reviewed 6 February 2014

After a great stay this time last year, my Partner and I returned to The Moorcock for another January weekend break, taking advantage of the winter three-for-two bed and breakfast offer.

We were planning a weekend of walking, taking advantage of the pub being only 20 minutes walk from Garsdale train station. Therefore on the Friday we took a superb five hour walk up to Kirkby Stephen, and on Saturday we went the opposite way, walking six hours to Ribblehead. There are trains back to Garsdale from both locations at around 4-5pm which is perfect timing! Both were great days out, making The Moorcock a perfect base for walking.

We were warmly welcomed at the pub and made to feel very at home in our room, which as my previous review describes, is cosy, and a great combination of modern and traditional. I often don't sleep well away from home, but no such problems here as the bed is very comfy.

We were welcomed into the bar each evening, not only by the landlady but also by some of the locals who seemed very happy to chat away with us and make us feel welcome. The food was, (like last time) home cooked (no ready-meals here) and first class. It is nice to see some original dishes on the menu such as garlic mushrooms topped with smoked Wensleydale cheese (from the creamery four miles down the road) and game and pheasant casserole. The portions were generous and as a vegetarian I was well catered for without a veggie lasagne in sight.

The full breakfasts were beautifully done, with each individual item cooked well and not greasy (the poached eggs were awesome and tasted very fresh indeed!)

After the very wet walk on Saturday we were pleased to be able to leave our wet gear in the flagstone hallway, and even more pleased when we came down the following morning to find that the landlady had put an additional heater on and lined up our wet stuff alongside it to make sure it was nice and dry for us!

We had a fantastic winter long weekend break (Thursday to Sunday), which came to only £150 each for three nights bed and breakfast accommodation, three big evening meals and an ample amount of wine and beer.

I can highly recommend The Moorcock!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matt E
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I used the Moorcock for an overnight stay arriving late at night. I was shown to a clean well furnished room with en-suite and had a good nights sleep followed by an excellent full English breakfast. Exactly what I wanted! Run by a lovely friendly couple and very welcoming. Will certainly be going back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank TridentTeam
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Just back from a couple of nights at the moorcock inn. Very friendly pub with rooms. We stayed in the wensleydale family room (me, my husband and our dog. ) comfy bed, great shower and clean. The food was fantastic- breakfast and evening meal delicious- lots of choice including good veggie options. Our dog was made very welcome. I can't see why this place has had bad reviews- ignore them if you like traditional style places with good home cooked food and friendly atmoshere rather than sterile travelodge type hotels.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I have been using the Moorcock on and off for about 5 years and it's now gone downhill so far it's unlikely to recover unless someone new comes along, throws a lot of money at it and sacks the staff especially the cooking ones. Not a great atmosphere any more, the food which always was good could now be better. Won't be going back unless the current owners sell up and someone who knows the trade moves in. Eau-de-moggie is very noticable which is quite off putting as soon as you walk in.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Dave B
cazcampo, Owner at Moorcock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

It's difficult to respond to this as there is nothing particularly targeted in this review. All I can say is I'm sorry you were disappointed by your time here and I can only wish you had mentioned any if your issues at the time. We have not had anyone leave negatively or with any unhappy comments so I know nothing was said during your stay which upsets me as I would have liked to have dealt with/apologised for any issues at the time.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Stayed here a few years ago and enjoyed it so booked an overnight stay to break the journey from Devon to Scotland to visit family. On going upstairs to our room there was an awful odour of air freshener mixed with what we have since discovered by reading other reviewers was eau de cat. The stair and landing carpet needed ripping up and burning.

When we stayed here previously we had a nice evening meal and this time we both chose Beef Stroganoff (made with fillet steak according to the specials board). Well, at £15.95 you do expect to get fillet steak but this was the cheapest cut they could buy, I gave up after two mouthfuls and even my partner whose has a voracious appetite left most of hers. The sauce had a peculiar flavour too which I swear I could taste in my cooked breakfast.

We won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GrumpyOldDevil

I'm so confused by this review as you were so nice both during your stay and on departure. When my waitress asked you if your stroganoff was okay your response was "well I shouldn't have ordered it really as I don't like mustard"! I remember this so well as it was an odd thing to order with mustard being traditionally a main ingredient in the dish. As for the cut, I can assure you it is certainly not cheap- each stroganoff is freshly made to order with a 6oz fillet steak from our local butcher and we always have great comments on it. Your comment on the smell seems to have come from reading someone else's review, surely if you felt this you would have mentioned it at the time? Instead of saying you had enjoyed your stay?! I'm sorry that you were disappointed by your time here but maybe in future you should let the proprietor know of any problems whilst you are there so they can try to rectify or at least apologies face to face instead of saying everything was fine only to write a review such as this?

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sedbergh
Stone House Hotel
#2 of 8 in Sedbergh
Summerhill B&B
Summerhill B&B
#6 of 12 in Sedbergh

Been to Moorcock Inn? Share your experiences!