“Best place for a cuppa - or lunch”
Review of Howgills Bakery and Tea Room - CLOSED

Howgills Bakery and Tea Room
Description: I can't find a website for the cafe, but it is a very good place. used to be called Ellies.
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Good cup of tea or coffee, lovely selection of cakes and bread. Don't miss the cheese scones - they are the best anywhere! Lunch is good, everything is cooked to order in this simple, clean café.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

we meet here on a regular occasion and dispite the small seating area it is a comfortable place to meet.

staff are accomadating and will go the extra mile to ensure you are servied with coffe the way you like it. friendly staff

Reviewed 22 February 2013

Friendly cafe, very family friendly, we only had bacon and sausage baps - reasonably priced and very tasty

Reviewed 22 February 2013

This is now my regular stop in Sedburgh, I say regular, I'm probably only driving through Sedburgh once or twice a year. It really is a lovely little cafe where they do the basics well (tea and coffee) and the home made food is also very nice. I only stopped for a coffee and a home made custard tart yesterday but I took home a chili and cheese sourdough loaf and a date slice, both excellent.

Reviewed 12 February 2013

Visited here and had to wait for seats are very small, food was very expensive for what we ordered two sausage and egg batches and two teas almost £18. Had to query this as menu was on back wall behind counter to be told that they were takeaway prices only so we paid £1 extra per item to eat in.? Feel that there are nicer places to eat in sedbergh as this isn't the only one.

Mr_Smallshaw, Manager at Howgills Bakery and Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2013

Many thanks for your visit and feedback, we try our best to keep the prices competitive within our high street and we are sorry if you feel you were overcharged. You may have been able to find a cheaper option within the town but we use local produce, on this occasion you were served a 10 oz Cumberland Sausage from our local award winning butcher. We also use fair trade and organic teas and coffee at reasonable prices. I think it's worth mentioning food costs and energy costs that are constantly rising, we are also having to add 20% Vat to your food if you decide to eat in.
I hope you were offered a loyalty card when paying for your breakfast which once full will gives you 10% discount on all Tea Shop purchases. If you were not offered one then I would be glad to send you one on the post. Thanks again for your valued feedback.