“Saturday bike ride coffe stop”
Review of Howgills Bakery and Tea Room - CLOSED

Howgills Bakery and Tea Room
Description: I can't find a website for the cafe, but it is a very good place. used to be called Ellies.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Saturday bike ride coffe stop”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Stopped here to refuel Saturday morning, nice place order coffee and food. They forgot my food so was waiting a while after everyone who I was with had already finished, so they didn't charge me for my coffee as a sorry so alright but nothing special. The female member of staff hadn't got a clue, she didn't under stand what beans on toast was until point it out to her on the menu, and she was slow on the till and to react to my missing meal.

Kendal, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Take away or eat in pricing - Heating food must be expensive in Sedbergh”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My partner and myself had just finished walking in the Howgills and wanted a basic cafe for a cup of tea and snack. We went to this cafe as it seemed to fit the bill for a basic snack at a reasonable price. I saw a piece of lattice pastry containing Feta and Spinnage on display within counter area at front of shop. The price was £1.95 which was reasonable. I asked for it to be heated and we also ordered a pot of tea for 2.

We then had to wait about 15 minutes (although the cafe only had three other people in at the time). The tea was then brought which was only a fairly small pot containing about 11/2 cups each and no extra hot water. I had to wait a further 5 minutes after which I was served up with an incorrect meal for people who had come in after us. When I pointed this out my lattice pastry followed straight away. Whilst it was reasonable it was definitely not worth waiting for and had no accompaniment.

When I came to pay I was charged £3.80 for the lattice. When I queried this I was told the price on display was the 'take away' price. The labeling on display made no reference to 'take away' price or eat in price. When I suggested that a doubling of the price merely for heating and a basic table was unreasonable the response was 'I only work here'

From previous reviews this appears to be a common problem with this cafe. I for one will not be returning there. On the day in question I was researching a walk for a local walking group and had the cafe been reasonable they would have benefited from future business from a group of about 15 the following week. That will not now be the case.

Be aware - you have been warned.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank normanfrench
Mr_Smallshaw, Manager at Howgills Bakery and Tea Room, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear customer, thanks for your feed back. We have been having this issue fir some time and have since removed all pricing labels. It's worth saying that when you purchase any items in our
Cafe it's not just the price of the product or in fact the heating of the product, we have overheads including insurance, VAT, staffing costs to deliver this service. We actually receive mixed feedback in store most of which is positive, unfortunately the negative feedback always seem to reach trip advisor and not the manager in store. We have tried several ways of helping customers identify the difference in price, we now charge you for your order before you actually receive it, this means any confusion can be identified at the point of sale. Our prices are reviewed periodically and are competitive within our high street. We also have combination options in store in the menu on the table which you are encouraged to read first, £1.50 for a pot of tea is a fair price and we top up your teapot for free, If you required hot water then you would have gladly been given this on request. We are sorry you felt you had a bad experience, on this occasion we can only apologise. We do hope any other customers reading this feedback will identify any confusion with the store manager who may be able to identify and rectify any problems or concerns with our service, we would urge customers to check menus and literature before ordering to avoid any confusion. Thanks again :)
cumbria
“Very Expensive”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband and I have been to this tea room on several occasions and have never had a reason to complain. However, today we visited for a cuppa and something to eat. I went to the counter to pay, only to find I am charged £6.20 for two mediocre sausage rolls! I do believe that is an outrageous amount to pay. As a result, we won't be returning.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank helendanny
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Pleasant cafe for a cuppa, good value”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Pleasant cafe on the High St, good value, pot of tea and cake for under £3. I called in late on a Friday afternoon and my only negative comment would be that the manager and assistant were more interested in packing away and cashing up than taking my money and checking I'd enjoyed myself!

• Visited May 2014
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Fab home baking”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We bought bread and cakes from the bakery and were impressed with the variety, quality and freshness.

Visited May 2014