“Nice take away food”
Review of Howgills Bakery and Tea Room - CLOSED

Howgills Bakery and Tea Room
Description: I can't find a website for the cafe, but it is a very good place. used to be called Ellies.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Nice take away food”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had take away food from here a couple of times during our stay in Sedbergh. The rolls we had were very fresh with a good quantity of filling. I didn't mind waiting for them to know that they were freshly made. My partner said their large sausage roll was absolutely delicious.

Visited August 2014

Catterick, United Kingdom
“A Bit Shambolic”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had a day walking part of the Howgill Fells and headed into Sedbergh to treat ourselves for the benefit of exercise and fresh air. Not much was open but this seemed OK but then I wondered if I'd entered the e-make of the Victoria Wood "two soups" sketch. We worked our way through the menu but nothing we fancied (Cheese secones, fruit scones, flapjack....) was available. We did get drinks after a lengthy wait, a common experience across many reviews. I was both surprised and a bit disappointed. If this was the sort of cafe in somewhere like Hawes it would close in a week. Basic business is having the right stock in terms of quality and quantity, staff that can operate at more then a snail's pace when it only requires a kettle and a till that actually works so when you want to pay for what's a deficiency. it doesn't take 5 minutes for someone to beg it to work. A lovely little town, plenty of tourists, enough locals to make a success of a good, simple cafe. This isn't the one, sadly.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank 130mondeo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Saturday bike ride coffe stop”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Stopped here to refuel Saturday morning, nice place order coffee and food. They forgot my food so was waiting a while after everyone who I was with had already finished, so they didn't charge me for my coffee as a sorry so alright but nothing special. The female member of staff hadn't got a clue, she didn't under stand what beans on toast was until point it out to her on the menu, and she was slow on the till and to react to my missing meal.

Kendal, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Take away or eat in pricing - Heating food must be expensive in Sedbergh”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My partner and myself had just finished walking in the Howgills and wanted a basic cafe for a cup of tea and snack. We went to this cafe as it seemed to fit the bill for a basic snack at a reasonable price. I saw a piece of lattice pastry containing Feta and Spinnage on display within counter area at front of shop. The price was £1.95 which was reasonable. I asked for it to be heated and we also ordered a pot of tea for 2.

We then had to wait about 15 minutes (although the cafe only had three other people in at the time). The tea was then brought which was only a fairly small pot containing about 11/2 cups each and no extra hot water. I had to wait a further 5 minutes after which I was served up with an incorrect meal for people who had come in after us. When I pointed this out my lattice pastry followed straight away. Whilst it was reasonable it was definitely not worth waiting for and had no accompaniment.

When I came to pay I was charged £3.80 for the lattice. When I queried this I was told the price on display was the 'take away' price. The labeling on display made no reference to 'take away' price or eat in price. When I suggested that a doubling of the price merely for heating and a basic table was unreasonable the response was 'I only work here'

From previous reviews this appears to be a common problem with this cafe. I for one will not be returning there. On the day in question I was researching a walk for a local walking group and had the cafe been reasonable they would have benefited from future business from a group of about 15 the following week. That will not now be the case.

Be aware - you have been warned.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank normanfrench
Mr_Smallshaw, Manager at Howgills Bakery and Tea Room, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear customer, thanks for your feed back. We have been having this issue fir some time and have since removed all pricing labels. It's worth saying that when you purchase any items in our
Cafe it's not just the price of the product or in fact the heating of the product, we have overheads including insurance, VAT, staffing costs to deliver this service. We actually receive mixed feedback in store most of which is positive, unfortunately the negative feedback always seem to reach trip advisor and not the manager in store. We have tried several ways of helping customers identify the difference in price, we now charge you for your order before you actually receive it, this means any confusion can be identified at the point of sale. Our prices are reviewed periodically and are competitive within our high street. We also have combination options in store in the menu on the table which you are encouraged to read first, £1.50 for a pot of tea is a fair price and we top up your teapot for free, If you required hot water then you would have gladly been given this on request. We are sorry you felt you had a bad experience, on this occasion we can only apologise. We do hope any other customers reading this feedback will identify any confusion with the store manager who may be able to identify and rectify any problems or concerns with our service, we would urge customers to check menus and literature before ordering to avoid any confusion. Thanks again :)
cumbria
“Very Expensive”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband and I have been to this tea room on several occasions and have never had a reason to complain. However, today we visited for a cuppa and something to eat. I went to the counter to pay, only to find I am charged £6.20 for two mediocre sausage rolls! I do believe that is an outrageous amount to pay. As a result, we won't be returning.

Visited June 2014