“Very pleasant stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 11 Sedbergh B&B and Inns
Herts
“Very pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Dalesman on a cold February Saturday. The bar was warm and welcoming as was the room. We had dinner there that evening and our party of 5 agreed that the food was very nice. Parking is a little tricky but staff do their best to help out.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Beverley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013 via mobile

We visited this pub on a very cold and winter evening. The atmosphere was welcoming with a very nice wood burning fire. The staff were very friendly and the service excellent. I had the steak which was well presented and came with home made chips. My partner had the pasta which was very tasty and well priced. The kids ordered from the children's menu which was again home made unlike most pub food. All in all this is a very nice pub which I would recommend and well worth a visit for any hungry traveller.

Stayed February 2013
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

We have used this b&b on more than 4 occasions (in last 7months) and have always received the very best welcome by all staff members in fact they always appeared to 'bend over backwards' to any of our requests. The staff are warm friendly and attentive. The rooms have received an upgrade and are very tastefully decorated and enticing. Of all the b&b's in the area we would always choose the dalesman. Evenings are enjoyable sitting talking to the friendly staff and locals and enjoying the relaxing atmosphere. The food is very good also and reasonably priced. Don't go there if you are looking for cheap bar food with no atmosphere and terrible service, Do go there if you enjoy good food, good conversation and warm friendly cozy nights next to the log fire. This place is the best around.

Room Tip: Room 1 is special and more like a honeymoon suite, however room 2 has the most amazing bed, room 4 i...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

I visited Sedbergh recently as a stop over from Scotland to Cheshire and had the good fortune to stumble upon this delightful Guest House. I was stranded due to the snow on the motorway and needed a bed for the night amd was not dissapointed! Not only did the staff organise a lovely room for the night with a huge bathroom and lovely wooden features but they also gave me a great deal as they were sympathetic to my situation.
I ate here aswel and had the prawns in garlic and chilli followed by one of their fantastic steaks. What an experience! The staff were polite and friendly and made what could have been a difficult situation a happy accident.
I will certainly be going back and highly recomend that others do the same.

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Windermere, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

Booked a nights stay for 3 for a birthday surprise- paid a deposit arrived to check in to find they had subsequently cancelled our booking and re sold the accomodation to someone else. no explanation given as to why - they tried to find another room in the village but were unable to do so. Returned our deposit and apologised - that was it - if I wanted to call them later and re book another stay, they would "do me a good deal"
Emailed them on my return but have had absolutely no response.
Diabolical way to treat people.
would therefore not recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: dont forget to confirm your confirmation - paying a deposit is evidently not enough
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank RomaB157
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

Just got back from a weekend stay with the hubby and can honestly say this is the best place we have stayed at in the area. We have visited sedbergh several times but first time at the dalesman.

The first thing we noted was the friendly helpful staff and roaring fire! The food was delicious and we took advantage of the new menu offering affordable food whilst not compromising the quality.

Its a busy pub with friendly locals and a welcoming environment. We made many new friends.

To finish off the room was a treat - recently refurbished it offered us a special stay! It was quiet during the night and set in a peaceful location.. And the cooked brekkie was very welcomed before our trek up the fells!

We have already booked our next stay for the summer and cant wait to visit again. Thank you everyone, especially the landlady and staff who made our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2013
Cumbria, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

Disappointed because I've been before and rated it much higher than this time, so it seems to be going down hill.

I stayed here for a few nights whilst in the area. You have to check in at the bar, which can be difficult if the bar is busy as you have to wait your turn with all the seasoned drinkers. I was alone on this trip and had a single room. Previously I've been in a double and been much more impressed.

The single room I was given was, with no exaggeration, smaller than a prison cell! The main part of the room was about four feet wide by eight feet long. The bed was pressed up against the wall under the single glazed window, which left a draft running over me at night which led to a stiff back. There was a tiny section with a door to the lavatory and sink, and the shower was next to this in the main bedroom by the door. This shower cubicle was about the same size as an average man's coffin. I am larger than the average man and found it a squeeze. The control knob kept falling off the shower (which I couldn't bend down to pick up as there was no room) and the door kept coming off it's runners. The steam from the shower filled the bedroom......

I had dinner in one night and, whilst nothing special, this was fine but rather expensive for what you got.

Breakfast was also disappointing. On previous stays this has been a highlight. It is now much less generous in its portions and on one morning I had to ask for toast as none was provided. I thought they'd just forgotten me but when I asked it started a torrent of similar requests from other toast-less guests!

One final gripe, I came back one evening after having been out all day and found that housekeeping had left my room door ajar and insecure. I was not impressed as it is quite easy to enter the guests accommodation from the rear door off the street outside unobserved. No harm done on this occasion though.

On the up side the cask ale is very good, although it is just as good (if not better) just over the road in the Red Lion which also has a bigger selection.

All in all a poor and pricey experience and disappointing that standards have fallen. I'll not be going back.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Whiskyhunter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sedbergh
Thorns Hall
Sun Inn
Sun Inn
#1 of 12 in Kirkby Lonsdale
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,318 reviews

Been to The Dalesman Country Inn? Share your experiences!