“Comfortable room and Best chips I've ever tasted!”

The Dalesman Country Inn
Ranked #5 of 12 Sedbergh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We had one night in the 'best room' and it was very comfortable. However, it has obviously had an expensive interior design makeover and we were disconcerted by the glass wall between bathroom and bedroom. As the room is on the front and there is school accommodation over the road, we felt obliged to have the curtains closed in the early evening when getting ready which made it a bit gloomy. There were eight in our party and we had a nice table for dinner together. It would have been appreciated if we could have had a table for eight at breakfast too. As I have said, the chips were sensationally good- the menu was otherwise good too

Room Tip: Have a look at the £160 room and if you don't mind the glass wall fine.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed as a family in the 'cottage' on a return trip from Scotland. The cottage is a short walk through the pretty stone village. I thought it was quaint, with its low beams and historic features. My teenage sons thought it was a dump and saw only the tired 1960/70's furnishings, the TV with a dent in the screen, the bright strip lights, and strange glass bedroom doors. This cottage is great asset but needs a re-vamp and redecoration. However, the food in the pub was very good. The pizza's were excellent, and the breakfasts were very tasty.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank OwlNewforest
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed here 17th April. It is a lovely pub, however the service at breakfast was not good.

When the waiter asked orders for tea/coffee, breakfast order, each time he walked off when we tried to tell him our orders. I asked for scrambled egg & smoked salmon, however as he was walking away when I was giving a response, I can only assume he didn't hear as I didn't get this. I realise I could have gone back to him to ask again, however the customer shouldn't have to chase the waiter, if they haven't bothered to come over to take an order properly; and rudely waking away each time he asked our order & we tried to respond. If the waiter happened to be under pressure, then this is a staff issue, however it doesn't excuse walking away when we tried to give our orders.

We weren't asked if everything had been okay with the breakfast. I realise I could have spoken to management (assuming this waiter wasn't management himself), but again a customer shouldn't have to chase management. Indeed if I wasn't happy I know it's appropriate to speak to management, however at this point I felt upset. Is minor - but one of the menus left out on our table for breakfast only had a take away menu and not a breakfast menu.
Is a shame as is a nice pub.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I cant say the last time i was this disappointed in a supposed friendly county pub. I had read the previous reviews and thought it would be a lovely place to have a meal especially after walking the fells for about 4 hours with friends whilst on a holiday in Cumbria. The food was simply terrible. There was an advert saying new chef needed, no experience necessary...well i could see why no experience would be needed, and In my opinion, the supposed landlady - a term i use lightly - also did not need any experience either! She was very aggressive, in fact she appeared wired, and was completely unapproachable. Finally the kitchen door seemed to have more patronage than the inside of the pub, if you know what i mean. All in all, an experience never to be repeated. Extremely disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank buffi H
Reviewed 19 March 2014

After a long hard drive from the south, we arrived to a friendly welcome from Reece (and Adam). Our room no.5 was prepared for one person but there was two of us. Not a recommendable room, plus tv controls are old and very difficult to use.
Rooms that are recommendable include 1-4. No.1 is different, and is designed and furnished to a very high standard. Others have their own character, they are large and decorated to a high degree. It would have been nice, and practical to have been offered one of these (as an error had been made in the booking, and we were the only guests that one evening), but we weren't! But thank you to Ian for showing us around the rooms, a good salesman.
Bar and restaurant area is really beautiful, and has a very good atmosphere. Good range of real ales, lagers and wines. Gold ale was exceptional. You won't find this pub in a C.A.M.R.A. guide as management prefers not to be included, for good reason.
Evening meal, (apart from the olive in ice starter), was mouth wateringly delicious. Anti pasta starter was scarce, meaning a couple more slices of chorizo would have been appreciated. My wife thoroughly enjoyed an excellent (and large) brisket and veg, my burger was great as were the wonderfully presented fries. Ladies serving, who also worked the bar, were very pleasant and catered for our every need.
Breakfast was exceptionally good, infact we both agreed it was perhaps our best ever. Cooked to order it was presented in wonderful surroundings with quality tea and coffee.
Parking, we had no problem as we were the only guests, but it is severely limited.

Room Tip: Room 1 definitely, but also 2-4 are wonderful.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Well we will be eating at the Dalesman for 5 years, as we have Chidren at Sedbergh School. This is a lovely welcoming pub with great staff. A fanatstic atmosphere where locals, parents and the older students all seem to have a great time.
We like visiting early doors and getting the kids to come up and join us for Saturday or Sunday supper. The food is pretty good - but lots of us come again and again - so more varied specials please, and sometimes (just sometimes) I fancy not being a carnivore.
Overall - a vsiit definitely recommended!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank notshort
Reviewed 12 February 2014

had three lovely days with my husband , son , daughter in law , and grandson , it was very cold but as soon as we walked into the dalesman it warmed up , the staff very friendly , food very good , and room 1 fantastic , lovely walks and lots of little villages to go to , would definately go again

Room Tip: room 1 has a king size bed and has been modernised, front view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank yvonne m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sedbergh
Thorns Hall
#4 of 12 in Sedbergh
Summerhill B&B
Summerhill B&B
#6 of 12 in Sedbergh

Been to The Dalesman Country Inn? Share your experiences!