“A pleasant stay”

Thorns Hall
Thorns Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sedbergh
Reviewed 2 April 2014

A nice country house a short walk from Sedbergh. It's organised along the same lines as other HF houses I've been to. Order your evening meal before you go out in the morning and lunch before retiring. I was in a twin room below the kitchen which was roomy enough. The POWER shower warrants the capitol letters, it was as hot as you like and difficult to get out of, it was so good. The kitchen staff start around 06:30 and aren't too noisy and shut up shop by around 9pm. Food, as always was excellent. They have WiFi, but I didn't find out about it (and the password) until the penultimate day and even then it was from another guest.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tilt-scale-gyro
There are newer reviews for Thorns Hall

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed at Thorns Hall last weekend for a murder mystery event. It's a lovely old building, cosy and full of character. I stayed an en suite twin bedded room which was clean and comfortable. Lots of space and with everything that I needed.

We had breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner there and all of the meals were well made, tasty and satisfying. The staff were brilliant, very friendly and helpful. The whole weekend was fun and great value for money. I would definitely go there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Trish17J
Reviewed 3 September 2013

In Oct. 2010, I took a walking tour with HF Holidays called Herriott way. We stayed at the Thorn Hall in Sedburgh England. What a truly wonderful experience. The rooms were cozy with ensuite bathrooms. The hall was built in the 1500s. We had full meals and a lunch prepared for our walking days. I heartily recommend HF Holidays and Thorn Hall for a great get away. The village of
Sedburgh has narrow cobblestone streets, a private boarding school right out of "Harry Potter" and a sweet shop! Also known as the book capital of the UK, many used book stores and cafes for afternoon tea.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed here as a base for a walking tour of the Dales with HF Holidays. The whole experience was wonderful…the food was good, the accommodation comfortable and the manager of Thorns Hall very helpful. Interesting evening entertainment arranged. And best of all, the walking tours were really well thought out. Can’t wait to return.

Room Tip: This is a VERY old house so some of the rooms may be a little sloped or slanted. This was a problem...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ClaireAnnex
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Myself and my partner stayed here on the 22nd of June for one night as we were meeting up with family who had been holidaying in the area. I didn't realise it was a walkers hostel when I booked it but we found the place to be clean, warm and welcoming. Our room was no. 12 in the stable block it was basic, but the bed was comfy and the bedding was spotless. The only downside was the window didn't close as it had warped, I did think I was going to be cold as the weather was cold, windy and wet, but the manager had the foresight to put the central heating on throughout the buildings so it was fine.

Breakfast was great, plenty to eat cooked well and good quality and most importantly a lovely big pot of tea to wash it all down with. The staff are the friendliest people I've ever encountered anywhere I've ever stayed ,so well done Thorns Hall.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carolmack_11
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My sister-in-law and I have a week with HF Holidays every year and this was definately one of the best! We were extremely fortunate with the weather and had wall-to-wall sunshine. Our room was at the front of the house and very comfortable - room no.5. The five guided walks we did were very well lead and just the right distance and difficulty. The food was generally very good apart from roast beef that I couldn't eat on the Sunday and the service was excellent - we never had to ask for refills such as tea,coffee,milk,toast etc.and our breakfasts were set in front of us within minutes of ordering. The manager,David and his wife run a very well organised house indeed and our packed lunches were some of the best we've had with HF. I would find it very hard to find any fault with our holiday!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lily6373
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Myself, husband and three children stayed at above hotel 1/4/13 to 4/4/13 on an HF guided holiday. The location was great for the cold conditions, it was easy to walk into town. We had two rooms and the hotel had put a third bed in one room to accommodate us all. The rooms were warm and comfortable We always enjoy HF holidays with the family but at Thorns Hall all the staff went the extra mile to ensure we had a good holiday, the manager even ordered in our younger daughter's favourite orange drink at the bar and showed us the cellars. The food was delicious and appeared promptly.
We loved seeing cheese being made at the creamery in Hawes and visiting Levens Hall gardens, there are loads of attractions in this area for families.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank cheshirehousewife01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sedbergh
Stone House Hotel
The Dalesman Country Inn
The Dalesman Country Inn
#4 of 12 in Sedbergh
Howgills Guest House & Apartments

Been to Thorns Hall? Share your experiences!