“Welcome fish and chips after battling with the weather”
Review of Shap Chippy

Shap Chippy
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Shap
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Merseyside
“Welcome fish and chips after battling with the weather”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We come to Shap with our walking club every three or four years, There are no cafes in the village that open on a Sunday so if you don't want to go in one of the pubs this is the only alternative. We had just completed our walk on a unseasonable August day and wanted some sustenance after our efforts so we headed for the chippy.

The last time we came here was 4 years ago and service was very slow. I don't know if they are new owners but the service was very good.. The seating area is bigger as the range has been moved. After sitting down we put our order in, a couple on minutes later the pot of tea had arrived and then a few minutes after my fish, chips and mushy peas. A good portion and well cooked.

This is a nice chippy and well worth a visit if in the area, also its not too much of a detour from the M6.

GeorginaP, Owner at Shap Chippy, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
Thank you for sharing your views of Shap Chippy - I am glad you enjoyed your visit. As you say, we are only a couple of minutes from Junction 39 of the M6 - if folk don't like going back on themselves they can use Junction 40 at Penrith to get back on/come off the motorway!

Carlisle, United Kingdom
“best fish and chips in cumbria”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

These are the best fish and chips in Cumbria. The batter on the fish is very light and golden you get extra chips during the meal at no extra cost.The staff are very attentive and helpful. Well worth a visit.

• Visited July 2014
GeorginaP, Owner at Shap Chippy, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
Thank you very much for taking the trouble to review us!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“The best chippy ever!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Friendly and welcoming staff, nothing too much trouble. Great menu choice, hubby loved the battered haggis and the kids was very happy with the fish, lovely light batter and the whole meal not greasy at all. Chips were really lovely, an excellent idea not to over fill plates with tons of chips that go cold before you get to finish them, but instead offer a free top up of chips, so if you are extra hungry after all that fell walking you can eat more ;-) free top up of tea/coffee was most welcome too.
Exceptionally clean restaurant (especially the loo which is twinned with a loo in Nepal)!
Looking forward to a return visit next summer!

GeorginaP, Owner at Shap Chippy, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
It is lovely to read reviews like yours - thank you for taking the trouble to write it! Our staff work very hard to provide food, service and premises that we can all be proud of and it's lovely when it all works and is so clearly appreciated I'm glad you liked the loo, too - the toilet-twinning organisation is such a great charity. See you next year!
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Food!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Have been a couple of times during our stay at Reagill (nearby).
Very lovely chips, fish, scampi and smoked halloumi!
Bit disappointed with today's sausage but husband had a great one last week.
Highly recommend a meal from here, just what you need after a day walking in the area.
A great find :)

GeorginaP, Owner at Shap Chippy, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for your kind words - I am glad you enjoyed your meals with us! We pride ourselves on our local butcher's Cumberland sausage and our home-smoked meaty smoked sausage; we also do a regular chip shop sausages - perhaps what your husband had today?!
Penrith, United Kingdom
“Good food but slow staff”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I waited 10 minutes (no exaggeration) before I was even acknowledged. I then waited another 15 minutes to receive my order. A simple hello, I'll be with you in a minute would have been great but there was nothing. The food I did take home was lovely but I doubt I'll be back.

Visited August 2014
GeorginaP, Owner at Shap Chippy, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for your review, I am so glad you found that the food was lovely.
I am sorry you had a delay before being greeted - we do our best to give friendly and prompt service and even this weekend with the thousands of extra visitors to the village our feedback suggests we served the vast majority of people with minimal delay. Please accept my apologies - and I do hope you will try us again!