Shap Wells Hotel
US$179
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
1,233 results
All reviewscoach partiesred squirrelscoach tripbath houselake districthotel groundssingle track roadparty nightevening mealthe main hotellarge hotelbuffet styleinteresting historybar menuoff the beaten trackremote locationduty manager
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed at Shap Wells Hotel last week, as part of a Majestic coach tour. I had read lots of reviews, and looked at photos before we went, but nothing prepared me for just what a treasure this hotel is. The hotel is a gem of a place, quiet and quaint with lots of Art Deco features. The grounds are stunning, lovely streams and little waterfalls as well as amazing views. Not only was it a real treat to get up close to the red squirrels in their natural environment, but it was wonderful to see so many varieties of birds too. The staff are amazing. They are genuinely friendly and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble. One of the staff ( Kieran),even gave my disabled son his tie at the end of the holiday. A very touching gesture, which we really appreciated. The kitchen and dining room staff work so incredibly hard. The food was excellent, with good choices and of high quality. They acomodated my son's food needs brilliantly, and without fuss. The whole hotel was clean and tidy too. We most definately hope to return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank saracen10
julian p, Guest Relations Manager at Shap Wells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such an excellent review after your recent stay at the Hotel.
I was very pleased to read you and your family enjoyed your holiday with us.
We receive many compliments about our staff and I will of course share your comments with the rest of the Team.
It was a great pleasure to look after you and I know your son was upset on the day of your departure because he didnt want to go home after such an enjoyable Holiday.
We hope to see you back at the Hotel in the near future.
Once again thank you for such a positive review.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I tried to book 2 nights in October having checked rooms were available on the Best Western central bookings site. I was hoping to use a 'buyagift' voucher for 2 nights B&B. I called to make a booking and was promised a call back within 10 minutes. No return call was made so an hour later I called again...and as soon as I mentioned I'd be using a voucher they said they hadn't any rooms available. When I challenged this and said their central bookings site would allow me to book on line they admitted they did have a few rooms but were unwilling to make one available as they didn't want to be overbooked!

My experience was of extremely poor and dishonest customer service and so based on this experience I won't be using my voucher to stay in the Shap Wells...even if they have a free room!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bootie03
julian p, Guest Relations Manager at Shap Wells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

I was very surprised to read your review you posted on this site especially when you havent even stayed with us. The reviews are based on our guests experience and their feedback after their stay at the Hotel.
We have already removed the comments you posted on the Hotels Facebook page due to them being factually incorrect.
The Hotel does accept Buy A Gift Vouchers and this is based on our availability and when you requested your dates we were unable to offer that availabilty.
The Hotel has a score on Trip Advisor of 4 as well as a Certificate For Excellence which reflects the reviews of our guests who have ACTUALLY stayed with us and shows the real level of Customer Service we offer. I am sorry you felt the need to write such a negative review.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Im probably not the target customer for this hotel having used it purely as a sleep over during a long trip north. From what I saw most people here were on holiday, walking, bike riding etc in the beautiful surrounding countryside.

Common areas (reception/Bar/Restaurant) all acceptable in presentation if a little drab, but the facade slips when you start the long walk to the rooms, there was, in the corridor I was in a very strange unpleasant chemical (cleaner?) smell. My room (a double) was small functional and a bit worn out, dull beige/yellow decoration all again looking very tired. Bathroom was quite ugly, poorly designed Shower over bath resulting in 50% of the bathroom getting soaked, a simple 90 degree turn in the curtain rail would have solved that, fixtures looked very old lots of rust around pipe work where it entered the wall etc, not somewhere you would want to take a long soak after a hard days walking.
Hotel prided it self on Free wifi, well good luck with that! I tried for hours to connect but was constantly blocked with a MAX users Message, when I rang down to ask for any guidance no help offered, and I got the impression this was normal.
Breakfast ok, very limited selection of fruits, hot food was good, no bakery products.

Priced at £61 a night I think was ok but tbh I wouldn't want to stay longer.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your review you have posted after your recent stay.
I was disappointed to read your comments especially when we receive such positive comments about the Hotel so much so we have many guests returning time after time.
The Hotel is far from tired and consistently has ongoing refurbishment work carried out on the building. I suggest your comments are very much in the minority with many of our guests enjoying the experience of staying at a Hotel which has an amazing History...... maybe modern Hotels are to your liking on your future trips.
Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This large hotel is very attractive and certainly secluded. You can't walk to the village and back for a quick pint! It isn't very near Shap, but it may be the closest place.
That said, the location is absolutely stunning and very peaceful. They have the longest drive I have ever known to a hotel...
The room was clean and nicely decorated (twin room £78 per night) with a small bathroom and sloping wall so you have to lean in the shower / bath if you are any taller than Ronnie Corbett.
The hotel was full and plenty of guests were sat in the communal areas. A coach from East Yorkshire Motor Services was parked in the rear car park when we arrived.
The food was nothing special. Cumberland sausage with mash, cauliflower, green beans and caramelised onion gravy (£9.95). After a long day it was welcome food but lacked flavour. To follow, lemon meringue pie (£4.95) which didn't taste of lemon. However, it did contain a cluster of what can only be described as looking like small back eggs. I left what was left of my sweet!
No cask beers available at this 92 room hotel! Tirril Brewery "Smooth" and Theakston Best Bitter keg were tried, but the Laphroaig was very nice until they ran out. An alternative was chosen for the last drink of the day. The bar closed at 23:30. Good job this isn't a large hotel (sarcasm). To be fair, we were the last people up at 23:45 on a Saturday night.
After a good nights sleep, early breakfast in the restaurant was cereal, toast and tea. No cooked breakfast at 07:00. There was, however, entertainment laid on by a poor bat flying round the restaurant desperately trying to find a way out. He probably wanted to go for a nice cooked breakfast as well.
Lovely situation and beautiful building.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BoomTriker

Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your recent stay with us. I will of course take out the positives as well as the negatives from your feedback and share them with the Team your comments provided interesting reading.
Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Travelled to this hotel as part of a Coach trip to the lakes with our friends. Our friends had birthdays while we were at the hotel so it was a special occasion as it was an 80th birthday.
First the good part the hotel is set in some fantastic grounds with its own Red Squirrel population that are easy to see every day. The food was very good given the hotel was full with lots of coaches. The manager was good in that he introduced himself at the beginning and took on all comments made.
Each coach was given a time to attend breakfast and dinner. Unfortunately we were the later time so a lot of tidying up was going on while we were being served one bag of table cloths was thrown across the room near us. The main issues are

A) The menu was good and starters were ordered but while eating our starters we were asked what we wanted for our main course interrupting our starters. Felt like Butlins!! Never had this before in any hotel or restaurant. Very strange for this level of hotel.
B) One of our party was 80 and I asked reception if a surprise cake could be arranged for the following evening. They said that they would call me back. Unfortunately they called my friend whose birthday it was, he was totally confused as he did not order a cake. Promises that this was now sorted by reception were accepted but on the evening nothing happened and when I asked the waitress they knew nothing about it. Then they said they would check and found the cake. The manager later apologised and refunded the money for the cake but the impact was lost.
C) Drink service at the table happened on the first night only. Despite asking for a wine waiter none came so I went to the bar and got the drinks myself. This was every night except the first night.
D) Bar closed promptly at 11pm for residents but the staff continued drinking by apparently serving themselves. The staff when off duty shared the bar and lounge with customers which is unusual in my experience.
E) HOW NOT TO APOLOGISE. We mentioned on check out that our cups and tea and coffee facility in the room were not cleaned or replenished. The house keeper came to see us and said she had been TOLD to come and apologise even though she was not in on that day. She obviously did not think or want to apologise as her tone of voice and attitude made this totally apparent. It made a small issue very much worse and gave us a very poor impression of customer service in the hotel. More service training is needed for staff I believe.

In summary good food, good hotel with some customer training issues for staff. If these issues were addressed then it would be one of the top hotels. The manager was good and needs to impart his attitude and attention to detail across the whole team.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robert F

Thank you for your review and feedback after your recent stay with us, I was disappointed to read some of your comments especially after I had spoken to you myself just before you left the Hotel.
The Restaurant service was complimented by guests many times during your stay .... the taking of Main course orders whilst you were having your Starters avoids lengthy service delays and indeed the Restaurant staff were able to serve 180 meals from Starter to Dessert inclusive in less than 2 hours .... a testament to the way our service system works so well.
I will of course ask the Food & Beverage Manager to investigate your comments relating to the Bar / Table service. The majority of our Staff live in and being nearly 5 miles from the nearest village we do allow them to use our Bar facility. I can assure you that your remarks of them apparently serving themselves are certainly not correct.
When the General Manager was made aware of the problem you had had with the Birthday cake he gave you a refund on the Friday morning just before you left the Hotel.
The Housekeeping issues you highlighted relating to the Hospitality Tray were brought to the attention of the Head Housekeeper who was Asked not Told to come and see you and apologise on behalf of her department.
Once again thank you for your comments we will certainly use your feedback for the future.