“Excellent location”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shap
Yarm, United Kingdom
“Excellent location”
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for the Total Warrior event.

It was what I expected. Room was basic but unfortunately it wasn't very clean. There were a good number if cobwebs in the room.
The beds were a bit springy.
On the plus side the shower was hot and powerful which is what I needed

The staff were very friendly. In both the reception and restaurant area. We were really looked after by Margaret (I think that was her name).

The food was fair and tasty. And again just what I needed.
Overall pleased.

• Stayed August 2014
julian p, Guest Relations Manager at Shap Wells Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you for your review after your stay with us during the weekend of Total Warrior.
I have passed on your comments to the Head Housekeeper regarding the cleanliness of your Bedroom and with your feedback she will be able to deal with those issues.
I was pleased to read that overall you were pleased with your stay and hopefully if you are attending Total Warrior next year you will stay with us again.
Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Guest Relations Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed here for two nights recently (1st Aug-3rd). The double room we had on the 1st floor was very small, we couldn't pass each other, the bathroom was very basic, I think generally the whole place needs updated. Food was ok but nothing memorable, staff were ok but nothing memorable. I'm struggling to find anything positive really. Not my kinda place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan N
julian p, Guest Relations Manager at Shap Wells Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback I was disappointed to read your comments in fact I was not sure what to make of your review I am struggling to give a postive reply.
We receive lots of compliments from other reviewers on this site I guess its their kinda place.

Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We recently spent 1 night at the Shap Wells Hotel. We were part of a coach tour. When we arrived at the hotel the Duty Manager came onto the coach to welcome us, and to tell us about the hotel and the surrounding area, which was very useful.
Check in was very quick and efficient. The staff at the reception were very pleasant and helpful. We found our room easily, which was facing the front and we had a lovely view. The room was spacious. The bathroom was spotless.
The evening meal was superb. The staff were very organised and efficient. We had a walk around the gardens and local area, which was very pleasant.
The hotel was peaceful and quiet, miles from anywhere, the bed was comfortable, so we had a good nights sleep.
After our first class breakfast, we had a walk up to see the squirrels, and we weren't disappointed, and we have some lovely photographs as the squirrels posed for us.
When it was time to leave the Duty Manager came on to the coach, to thank us for our visit and to wish us well for the rest of the day and hoped to see us again soon.
All in all we had a lovely night at the Shaps Well Hotel and would have no hesitation in recommending it to our friends.
Thank you to the manager and all the staff.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor at the front of the hotel, and we were very satisfied with it. You...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pat D
Thank you for taking the time to write an excellent review after your overnight stay with us.
I was very pleased to read your feedback and will share the contents with the rest of the Team.
I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and with you recommending the Hotel to your friends maybe we may see them as well.
Once again thank you for such positive feedback.

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed from 01.08.14 to 03.08.14. The hotel is nice, old, and it has it's own character. The room no. 54 was clean but on the small side and inline with the reasonable price for the room. The hotel was busy with the warrior event which created a nice atmosphere in the bar area. The food was very good but as my wife pointed out, the salad table is not refrigerated. The cold food/salads are simply sitting at room temperature so beware. Would I say again? Yes.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review after your recent stay with us. I hope we have the opportunity to look after you again if you are visiting the area.
Once again thank you for your comments.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

my husband @ I stayed at your lovely hotel 28th july for 5 days. it was very peaceful the staff were all very nice. nothing to much trouble. the meals were excellent. @ it was a treat to see the red squirrels thank you

Room Tip: higher floors have less a/ unit noise
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your excellent review I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your holiday with us.
I will of course share your feedback with the Team.
Our Colony of Red Squirrels is an added attraction and I am delighted you had the opportunity to see them.
Once again thank you for your very positive comments.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were looking for overnight accommodation on Saturday 2-8-14 as we were taking part in the annual Total Warrior event.
I knew it was hard to find a place due to the popularity of the weekend event, but we found a great place to stay in the Shap Wells hotel, hidden away and such a nice place, im tempted not to tell anyone as i want to make sure i get in again. the hotel is well hidden and quite a little gem, the staff were great and the rooms clean and adequate for an overnight stay.
The hotel isnt the ritz, but it has its own personality in a special setting, a place you feel relaxed in and away from the World.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your very positive review after staying with us over the Total Warrior Weekend.
The Total Warrior Event is held annually and brings thousands of people to the area with many of the participants staying at the Hotel.
I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your time with us especially when we have had reviews on this site from people attending the same event who had not been as satisfied has yourself.
I hope we have the opportunity to look after you next year if you are taking part in Total Warrior again.
Once again thank you for your comments.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was a 5 day coach break to the Lake District. We arrived late afternoon and check in was efficient. Only 1 small lift so getting 48 people with luggage to their rooms took a while. No porters on hand and most of us were OAP's. Evening meals were reasonable and Breakfast was good although you have to go to the counter to get served and this was a bit fretful when a lot turned up together.
Rooms are ok but floors were creaky and walls very thin. ( lots of flush noises)
Generally a reasonable place to stay for the lakes but quite a lot of travelling , it is not near.
Very secluded in a natural valley. Don't stay here if you want a bit of night life. There is quite a nice bar but that is it.
General opinion overall just about OK

Room Tip: All rooms are quite quiet but end rooms have anice view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ROBERT M
Thank you for your review after your recent stay at the Hotel. I have noted your comments and will share them with the relevant Managers.
The Hotel is set in a rural location and the Tour Operators are made aware of this when they purchase the holidays from us so they can tell their clients exactly where we are located.
Once again thank you for your feedback.

Guest Relations Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shap
Wheyrigg Hall Hotel
#2 of 2 in Appleby
Damson Dene Hotel
Damson Dene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite

Been to Shap Wells Hotel? Share your experiences!