“Short break”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shap
St Andrews, United Kingdom
“Short break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights Dinner, Bed & Breakfast and could not fault it. Staff were really friendly, helpful & attentive. Food was excellent and lots of it. We had a deal that included afternoon tea and could not believe the amount of food presented to us. Would fully recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a nice place to stay & we are hoping to return for a longer stay next time. Manager came and spoke to us and was very pleasant and told us about the red squirrels which were an extra bonus as we have lots of photos.

Room Tip: Try and avoid a room at back of kitchen as fans come on early in morning though did not bother us
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Irene C
julian p, Guest Relations Manager at Shap Wells Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write an excellent review after your " Short Break " at the Hotel.
I was very pleased to read your comments and will pass your feedback on to the relevant members of staff.
Once again thank you for writing such a positive review.

Guest Relations Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Double room cramped, and there was limited access to the wardrobe because of the position of the dressing table, in fact with the added furniture (an easy chair and small table) there was limited space to move and just enough room to walk between the end of the bed and the wall. There was mould on the inside of the shower cubicle and cobwebs on both the over bed lamps which showed the room had not been thoroughly cleaned between occupants. Dinner service was on occasions slow, and staff didn't have dedicated tables, this often resulted in lengthy waits between courses, staff were clearing tables and setting up for breakfast while other guests were sat waiting for dessert. Observed one waitress play with another's hair before returning to the kitchen to collect plates of food! Most mornings there was one staff member serving the hot breakfast which did result in a lengthy queue across the restaurant. Wi-Fi was slow especially if to many people were using it and weak signal strength in our corner room made access to the internet impossible. There was entertainment on 3 of our 4 nights stay but with seating in the bar area somewhat limited and approx 200 guests (4 coach groups and other residents) it was inevitable that those with the 7.15pm dinner slot were not able to sit and enjoy it. I've stayed in numerous Best Western hotels in the UK over the past 12 yrs both on business and for pleasure however I won't be returning to this one in a hurry!

Room Tip: Request a Twin Bedded room if travelling as a couple ... larger rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank bryantyh
Thank you for your review I was disappointed to read about your experience at the Hotel I will of course share your comments with the Team especially your feedback about the Restaurant.
Once again thank you for your feedback.

Regards.

Barmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights, first impressions are good, middle of no where and won't appeal to family's.
Was given room 109, yes 109. Lovely large room, slept well until 6am and then..... A jet engine comes to life outside your window with varying speeds.
So before going out for the day handed key over and requested a room change.
Was given the key to room 7 on our return, first impression small, but no noisy fans outside the window just the car park, unfortunately we had a snorer next door and as the walls are so thin in this room it disturbed my sleep.
Breakfast.... Very very basic, No mushrooms! Do you not eat mushrooms up north? Coffee was vile and orange juice was watered down to within a inch of it life.
Hotel caters for a lot of coach trip company's which I don't mind but as they hammer down the price it's gets reflected in things like the quality of the breakfast.
As a best western diamond customer I was disappointed with my overall stay compared to other of the chains hotels.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bermo1972
Thank you for your review after your recent stay at the Hotel. I was disappointed to read your comments. I find your review interesting especially the one relating to our Group Business where the rates we receive are not reflected in our product in fact your rate was less than our guests who stayed on a package holiday. We do serve mushrooms in the North if you would have asked for them we would have served them to you its a shame you had to revert to Tripadvisor to raise this point.
Once again thank you for your comments.

Yarm, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for the Total Warrior event.

It was what I expected. Room was basic but unfortunately it wasn't very clean. There were a good number if cobwebs in the room.
The beds were a bit springy.
On the plus side the shower was hot and powerful which is what I needed

The staff were very friendly. In both the reception and restaurant area. We were really looked after by Margaret (I think that was her name).

The food was fair and tasty. And again just what I needed.
Overall pleased.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for your review after your stay with us during the weekend of Total Warrior.
I have passed on your comments to the Head Housekeeper regarding the cleanliness of your Bedroom and with your feedback she will be able to deal with those issues.
I was pleased to read that overall you were pleased with your stay and hopefully if you are attending Total Warrior next year you will stay with us again.
Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed here for two nights recently (1st Aug-3rd). The double room we had on the 1st floor was very small, we couldn't pass each other, the bathroom was very basic, I think generally the whole place needs updated. Food was ok but nothing memorable, staff were ok but nothing memorable. I'm struggling to find anything positive really. Not my kinda place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan N
julian p, Guest Relations Manager at Shap Wells Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback I was disappointed to read your comments in fact I was not sure what to make of your review I am struggling to give a postive reply.
We receive lots of compliments from other reviewers on this site I guess its their kinda place.

Kidderminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We recently spent 1 night at the Shap Wells Hotel. We were part of a coach tour. When we arrived at the hotel the Duty Manager came onto the coach to welcome us, and to tell us about the hotel and the surrounding area, which was very useful.
Check in was very quick and efficient. The staff at the reception were very pleasant and helpful. We found our room easily, which was facing the front and we had a lovely view. The room was spacious. The bathroom was spotless.
The evening meal was superb. The staff were very organised and efficient. We had a walk around the gardens and local area, which was very pleasant.
The hotel was peaceful and quiet, miles from anywhere, the bed was comfortable, so we had a good nights sleep.
After our first class breakfast, we had a walk up to see the squirrels, and we weren't disappointed, and we have some lovely photographs as the squirrels posed for us.
When it was time to leave the Duty Manager came on to the coach, to thank us for our visit and to wish us well for the rest of the day and hoped to see us again soon.
All in all we had a lovely night at the Shaps Well Hotel and would have no hesitation in recommending it to our friends.
Thank you to the manager and all the staff.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor at the front of the hotel, and we were very satisfied with it. You...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pat D
Thank you for taking the time to write an excellent review after your overnight stay with us.
I was very pleased to read your feedback and will share the contents with the rest of the Team.
I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and with you recommending the Hotel to your friends maybe we may see them as well.
Once again thank you for such positive feedback.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed from 01.08.14 to 03.08.14. The hotel is nice, old, and it has it's own character. The room no. 54 was clean but on the small side and inline with the reasonable price for the room. The hotel was busy with the warrior event which created a nice atmosphere in the bar area. The food was very good but as my wife pointed out, the salad table is not refrigerated. The cold food/salads are simply sitting at room temperature so beware. Would I say again? Yes.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review after your recent stay with us. I hope we have the opportunity to look after you again if you are visiting the area.
Once again thank you for your comments.

Guest Relations Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shap
Tebay Services Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#4 of 15 in Kendal
Castle Green Hotel In Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa

Been to Shap Wells Hotel? Share your experiences!