Queens Hotel
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
Stork Hotel(Frizington)
Great 4.5/5
Stanley Arms Hotel(Calder Bridge)
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsdaily specialslog firecoast to coast walklandlordpubmelissanathanstartbeesbeddingportions
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 October 2010

When we arrived we were shown to our 'deluxe' room - we had not asked for this and were not told it was deluxe till the bill was produced at the end of our stay. The boiler had broken on the day we arrived meaning our room was freezing- when I asked about this at the bar I was simply told 'sorry' and not offered a heater or another room on the other side of the hotel- which was heated. When we checked out the landlord attempted to charge us for 3 nights instead of two- we had the bill change only to find that we had been charged more than agreed on the phone as they had upgraded us to deluxe- we then commented that our room had not been heated, the landlord remarked that we should have asked to be moved. I lied and said we did as there was no way I was paying more!!!
The hotel itself is a lovely building and the food is great, however there are tiny things that are not up to hotel standard;
no toilet roll holders
no mirrors in rooms
thin Walls
no real room facilities
rude staff

Anyway I'm sure if it had been heated we would have enjoyed our stay more- but whenever we were in the hotel we had to remain under the duvet which is ridiculous.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 5 October 2010

My wife and I were booked here for three nights by another party.When we arrived wehad to wait 20 minutes before being given room key and list to fill in for following mornings breakfast and yes as stated in other review could only have juice and cereal or fried but not both.We dropped cases in room and went on to another restaurant for a mealbwithout examining room as we were in a hurry.When we arrived back just before 12 o clock had to use a side entrance as main door shut.This entrance was right next to our room and noise as other residents came in later and left early kept us awake most of the night.The bedroom was sparsely furnished and bed must have been 1960 vintage.The windows and frames were absolutely filthy.Bathroom was large and modern but shower head broken and not even glass for rinsing after washing teeth.We arose in the morning and cancelled booking for the remaining 2 nights .Did not take breakfast we just wanted to get out as quickly as possible

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tyronetraveller024
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We were on holiday in St Bees and decided to have a lunch time bar meal at the Queens. There was not a massive choice on the Lunch menu but when we tried to place our order we were told that there was no Lasagna, burgers or salmon left. i tried to then order a cheese and onion toastie with chips only to be told that they also had no onion!!!!! the waiter took our order away, only to come back and say they also had no chips!!!!!!! I felt like asking him to tell me what we actually could have as it may be easier.......
When our food did arrive it was bland and nothing to write home about.

We thought however we would give them a fair chance and tried to eat there again on the Friday. We arrived at 6.45. There were no reserved signs on the tables so we took a seat and asked for the menu. We were told that they could not serve us food as they were expecting a large party at 7.00pm and if we ordered there may not be enough food left for the other party so could we at least wait until 8.00pm (bear in mind there were only 3 of us). it was at this point we decided to leave...........i will not be returning and would certainly never recommend this hotel to anyone, unless they wish to leave feeling hungry, annoyed and disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marie-Mick
Reviewed 17 August 2010

We actually thought this was a great pub! If you are looking for 5 star, then go somewhere with a 5 star rating. This pub was about being British, you get what you pay for and this pub was friendly and honest, a typical village pub! We didn't stay here, but we ate here and were very satisfied with our meal and what we paid for it. We are going back to St Bees next year and will eat here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2010

We didn't actually stay in this hotel as we only live a couple of miles away, but we went for an evening meal there....we won't be back!
We eat out on a regular basis & I have also worked in the catering trade for several local establishments spanning the last 35 years so I know this falls way below the standard that is on offer in this area.
We both ordered the mixed grill but were informed there was only one available. I would like to say it was a relief that I insisted my partner take the grill as I have NEVER seen such a pitiful offering as what was served up to him. However, the rack of lamb which I chose as an alternative was equally poor.
The grill consisted of liver, steak, 2 thin beef sausages, STREAKY BACON!!! (never in my life have I seen streaky bacon on a grill), the smallest of lamb chops, an egg & a half dozen thick cut wedges & at a cost of £14.95.
Just to name one of the many places where you can have a much better meal, today I had a grill at The Richmond in Whitehaven consisting of a lamb chop, a sizeable piece of steak & gammon, a full half pound of cumberland sausage, 2 thick slices of black pudding, egg, onion rings, mushrooms tomatoes & a plateful of homemade chips & all for a £1 cheaper than the inferior one!
My lamb at the Queens gave me approx 3 bites of lamb, maybe 4 boiled potatoes & some veg all served in the one dish & also costing £14.95.
We did complain about the grill & the landlord did knock £4 off the price but claimed it was a Cumbrian grill & par for the course.
I can only assume, given his accent & his lack of awareness of how good the food can be in these parts, that he has a lot to learn about good Cumbrian food!
If you read this Mr Landlord, might I suggest you take a trip on your next night off to The Richmond to see how it's done properly.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple