“A friendly B&B with real ale and great food!”
Review of Queens Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St Bees
Queens Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 St Bees B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 March 2010

I stayed here for 5 nights in March 2010 on business.

I was impressed by the Queens Hotel and thought a review on Tripadvisor was well worth while!

The Queens Hotel is located on Main Street in the heart of St Bees. The beach is a 10-minute walk away, Whitehaven a short drive and the Westlakes Research Park a 5 minute drive away.

I stayed in Windermere, or Room #15 - this was one of the "deluxe" rooms and was in the newly renovated part of the building. The room was small but functional, although the only real negative was a lack of desk + chair from where I could work - I ended up in the bar, so it wasn't all bad! The room had a single bed, flat-screen TV, coffee making facility and an en-suite bathroom which included a great shower. Functional, but served its purpose for my stay.

The bar serves real ales and the food is very good. Breakfast (I had the £45 per night rate which included breakfast) consisted of a great selection of basics, right up to fell English, and the quality here was also very good.

Parking is basically out the front of the property - there's a recess off the main road where 3-4 cars can fit. Fortunately I was there out of season so I had no problem parking out front each day.

There's a newsagent just a 2 minute walk away and 2 other pubs within throwing distance of the Queens Hotel.

Summary of the negatives - there aren't many and are probably a bit picky but here goes:

- Room #15 is situated right next to the guest exit door, leading to the frontage. When guests use this door you will undoubtedly wake to the noise of the door slamming shut. Only a slight problem early in the mornings.
- The walls and ceiling in Room #15 are pretty thin - the guy in the room above was snoring quite audibly for a couple of nights during my stay, which led to guests banging on walls to get him to wake and stop snoring! If you're a light sleeper, take ear plugs.
- Parking I've already mentioned
- Small room w/o desk area

Summary of the positives:

+ Great food and ale
+ Friendly staff
+ Great value
+ Pleasant village location
+ Pub quiz and bingo held in the week!
+ Great shower in Room #15 (newer part of the hotel)
+ TV + coffee facility in room
+ Comfortable bed (although a single)

Overall a great stay. I'd definitely stay there again when on business in the West Cumbria area.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business