“Avoid this place” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Queens Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St Bees
Queens Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 St Bees B&B and Inns
county tyrone
“Avoid this place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

My wife and I were booked here for three nights by another party.When we arrived wehad to wait 20 minutes before being given room key and list to fill in for following mornings breakfast and yes as stated in other review could only have juice and cereal or fried but not both.We dropped cases in room and went on to another restaurant for a mealbwithout examining room as we were in a hurry.When we arrived back just before 12 o clock had to use a side entrance as main door shut.This entrance was right next to our room and noise as other residents came in later and left early kept us awake most of the night.The bedroom was sparsely furnished and bed must have been 1960 vintage.The windows and frames were absolutely filthy.Bathroom was large and modern but shower head broken and not even glass for rinsing after washing teeth.We arose in the morning and cancelled booking for the remaining 2 nights .Did not take breakfast we just wanted to get out as quickly as possible

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tyronetraveller024

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Northumberland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

We were on holiday in St Bees and decided to have a lunch time bar meal at the Queens. There was not a massive choice on the Lunch menu but when we tried to place our order we were told that there was no Lasagna, burgers or salmon left. i tried to then order a cheese and onion toastie with chips only to be told that they also had no onion!!!!! the waiter took our order away, only to come back and say they also had no chips!!!!!!! I felt like asking him to tell me what we actually could have as it may be easier.......
When our food did arrive it was bland and nothing to write home about.

We thought however we would give them a fair chance and tried to eat there again on the Friday. We arrived at 6.45. There were no reserved signs on the tables so we took a seat and asked for the menu. We were told that they could not serve us food as they were expecting a large party at 7.00pm and if we ordered there may not be enough food left for the other party so could we at least wait until 8.00pm (bear in mind there were only 3 of us). it was at this point we decided to leave...........i will not be returning and would certainly never recommend this hotel to anyone, unless they wish to leave feeling hungry, annoyed and disappointed.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marie-Mick

Travellers are raving about these St Bees hotels

Warminster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2010

We actually thought this was a great pub! If you are looking for 5 star, then go somewhere with a 5 star rating. This pub was about being British, you get what you pay for and this pub was friendly and honest, a typical village pub! We didn't stay here, but we ate here and were very satisfied with our meal and what we paid for it. We are going back to St Bees next year and will eat here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

We didn't actually stay in this hotel as we only live a couple of miles away, but we went for an evening meal there....we won't be back!
We eat out on a regular basis & I have also worked in the catering trade for several local establishments spanning the last 35 years so I know this falls way below the standard that is on offer in this area.
We both ordered the mixed grill but were informed there was only one available. I would like to say it was a relief that I insisted my partner take the grill as I have NEVER seen such a pitiful offering as what was served up to him. However, the rack of lamb which I chose as an alternative was equally poor.
The grill consisted of liver, steak, 2 thin beef sausages, STREAKY BACON!!! (never in my life have I seen streaky bacon on a grill), the smallest of lamb chops, an egg & a half dozen thick cut wedges & at a cost of £14.95.
Just to name one of the many places where you can have a much better meal, today I had a grill at The Richmond in Whitehaven consisting of a lamb chop, a sizeable piece of steak & gammon, a full half pound of cumberland sausage, 2 thick slices of black pudding, egg, onion rings, mushrooms tomatoes & a plateful of homemade chips & all for a £1 cheaper than the inferior one!
My lamb at the Queens gave me approx 3 bites of lamb, maybe 4 boiled potatoes & some veg all served in the one dish & also costing £14.95.
We did complain about the grill & the landlord did knock £4 off the price but claimed it was a Cumbrian grill & par for the course.
I can only assume, given his accent & his lack of awareness of how good the food can be in these parts, that he has a lot to learn about good Cumbrian food!
If you read this Mr Landlord, might I suggest you take a trip on your next night off to The Richmond to see how it's done properly.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Leeds, Uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2010

On arrival at the Queens Hotel the alarm bells immediately started to ring, the room I had booked was not the one that I was given...I was surprised because the hotel was apparently full (told so by the landlady when I phoned to book). the one I was given was a twin and not a double, in fact I had booked the "only remaining room", the family room at a higher cost but I was happy to pay that as it had two double beds.

When I pointed out that the room was not what I had booked the member of staff contacted the landlady who said she would sort it out. While waiting for the landlady a member of staff was lambasting to a "regular" at the bar about the "plonker" who had parked their car out the front of the hotel...the parking is awfull at this hotel and I parked in the railway station carpark for the duration of my stay.

When I pointed out that the car was mine the member of staff pleaded with me to not tell management and offered to buy me a beer that evening!!!!

Eventually the room situation was sorted and we were given the room next door...not bad for a "full" hotel. Anyway I was satisfied with the room...except for the newly refurbished ensuite that is...it is so small that there isn't room to mount a toilet roll holder and you have to sit "side saddle" to use the toilet as the clearence from the toilet to the wall and door is only a few inches, not an easy feat I can assure you, the shower had a broken fitting (luckily I managed to fix it enough to use it) but the sink is nice though a bit large for such a small ensuite.

Breakfast is...odd! You can have cereal OR cooked breakfast but not both. First time I've come across that one. We got moved from a table set for 8 (the only set places available) to a table for two which was not set as there was only two of us, understandable you might think, only to be followed into breakfast by another couple who sat were we had just moved from and they were allowed to stay...For breakfast you complete a sheet the day before to say what you would like. You would think that nothing could go wrong with such a system...well it did but not anything that couldn't be put right with a little complaining.

The rooms have been refurbished to an "ok" standard for what you pay but the matresses have been neglected, they are as hard as rocks and you can feel every spring in them...not good unless you can sleep on anything. The noise at all hours of the night from the street was horendous but that is obviously beyond the control of the hotel but if you want a quiet nights sleep...well think hard about the Queens in St Bees.

The bar at the Queens is great for real ale enthusiasts and has a selection of ales from Jennings and a guest ale too...very nice...and the beer garden is also very pleasent too.

The only thing missing was the landlady shouting...BASIL...BASIL.

One staff member saved the day with his attentiveness and the way he handled the complaints...he shall remain anonymouse but he got a nice tip!!! Thankyou, you know who you are.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Alrewas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2010

I stayed here for 5 nights in March 2010 on business.

I was impressed by the Queens Hotel and thought a review on Tripadvisor was well worth while!

The Queens Hotel is located on Main Street in the heart of St Bees. The beach is a 10-minute walk away, Whitehaven a short drive and the Westlakes Research Park a 5 minute drive away.

I stayed in Windermere, or Room #15 - this was one of the "deluxe" rooms and was in the newly renovated part of the building. The room was small but functional, although the only real negative was a lack of desk + chair from where I could work - I ended up in the bar, so it wasn't all bad! The room had a single bed, flat-screen TV, coffee making facility and an en-suite bathroom which included a great shower. Functional, but served its purpose for my stay.

The bar serves real ales and the food is very good. Breakfast (I had the £45 per night rate which included breakfast) consisted of a great selection of basics, right up to fell English, and the quality here was also very good.

Parking is basically out the front of the property - there's a recess off the main road where 3-4 cars can fit. Fortunately I was there out of season so I had no problem parking out front each day.

There's a newsagent just a 2 minute walk away and 2 other pubs within throwing distance of the Queens Hotel.

Summary of the negatives - there aren't many and are probably a bit picky but here goes:

- Room #15 is situated right next to the guest exit door, leading to the frontage. When guests use this door you will undoubtedly wake to the noise of the door slamming shut. Only a slight problem early in the mornings.
- The walls and ceiling in Room #15 are pretty thin - the guy in the room above was snoring quite audibly for a couple of nights during my stay, which led to guests banging on walls to get him to wake and stop snoring! If you're a light sleeper, take ear plugs.
- Parking I've already mentioned
- Small room w/o desk area

Summary of the positives:

+ Great food and ale
+ Friendly staff
+ Great value
+ Pleasant village location
+ Pub quiz and bingo held in the week!
+ Great shower in Room #15 (newer part of the hotel)
+ TV + coffee facility in room
+ Comfortable bed (although a single)

Overall a great stay. I'd definitely stay there again when on business in the West Cumbria area.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
#4 of 9 in St Bees
Royal Oak Hotel
Royal Oak Hotel
#2 of 3 in Rosthwaite

Been to Queens Hotel? Share your experiences!