“Bad reviews”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I was on the pub the evening the 3 bad reviews occurred(yes they have put different dates, but they were seated at the same table). That group wanted something for nothing as soon as they came in, spouting'tripadvisor', virtually before thay had sat down. I was with another 2 adults and 3 children.Our meals were all fine and we watched with interest as the reviewers before tried to get reductions. Well done to the staff for not falling for it.

4  Thank jrad240
There are newer reviews for The Duke William

Reviewed 27 July 2014

By no means perfect but we had a steak and chips meal x2 which was well served, full portion size all trimmings and very good value at £9.95 each. Pub is not hugely appealing from the outside but actually the lounge was nicely set out and welcoming. A bit devoid of atmosphere in the lounge just because there was only us and another couple in. Lady who served us was very friendly and the beer was well kept too. Was happy enough to want to try it again next time we visit Staveley and from what we saw the recent awful reviews I've read did not match our experience. Don't go expecting a gastro pub however, what we had was still basic "pub food".

Reviewed 26 July 2014

they are clearly trying to rip tourists off with the food. The menu looked great and good value but what arrived I couldn't believe. Even my terrier would have left hungry!! When I complained the scouser lady said " well that's how it is" service!! What service?? The beer was fine which led us to believe the food would be as well. How wrong we were. If you eat like a sparrow it will suit you fine. Otherwise you WILL be dissapointed. After I complained to the landlord he promptly jumped into his new Mercedes and sped off. Probably fearing the wrath of the rest if my group. Probably a wise decision.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We ordered lamb and it was dreadful. The portion size was for a child and we came away still hungry. The lamb had definitely been cut into very small portions, there was a very small spoon of mash potato and frozen peas with three shreds of cabbage. The lady who served us with the food was clearly very embarrassed. When we challenged the owner he wasn't bothered. It's obviously a tourist rip off pub, that explains how the owner can afford to ride around in a Mercedes.

1  Thank Sue R
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Visited this pub with a group of friends and we were all eagerly awaiting our meal.When they arrived we were appalled at the size of the portions,they were more like childrens portions.When we complained we were just told..well thats it...dont you want it ?Even the waitress said to us she thought they were small when she served them !The owner was quite rude when confronted and tried to blame his suppliers.Dont get me wrong...the food was quite nice...I ordered shepherds pie but said I didnt want chips with it,I thought they would have given me more vegetables,but no...a few shreads of cabbage and a few peas ! Mind you...the napkins were good !...nice and thick they were...and big too...so I took mine with me when we left....along the street to the chippy...which incidentally is lovely !!

1  Thank Catherine B