“Lovely pub in which to spend a weekend in the Lakes.”
Review of Eagle & Child Inn

Eagle & Child Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Staveley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We have stayed at The Eagle and Child 3 times, so totally disagree with the bad reviews I have just seen. The bedrooms are really comfortable, evening meals well served and a typical price for the Lakes.
The English breakfast is one of the best I have ever had, including fresh fruit, yogurt and drinkable coffee!!!
The bar maid cheerily took my booking for a table in the evening as it was busy being school holidays!!
The lady at breakfast was chatty and pleasant and gave excellent service, and remembered us from previous visits.
We enjoy staying in the Lakes, we can walk to the Hawkshead brewery Hall, or catch a bus up to The water mill at Ings, another good Lakeland pub.
The showers and bathrooms are excellent. The fact we stayed 3 times says something!!
Maybe the other reviewers don't understand the Northern manner!!!!

Room Tip: I love room 1 with a sofa to watch TV as well as the bed, Room 2 has lovely riverside views.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 May 2012

We stayed at the Eagle and Child for one night as we were attending a family wedding at the Hawkeshead brewery. We had a lovely time, the staff were friendly the atmosphere was great. The rooms were clean, well furnished and the bed was comfortable. We had a nice view of the stream opposite and the tea/coffee facilities were good, as was the breakfast the following morning. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Never have I been to any pub and been made to feel so unwelcome, this pub is for the locals only, staff are happy to have two drunk yocals swearing and mouthing off in earshot of my young children , short southern woman behind bar was rude especially when I approached her about ordering food I was 15 mins ahead of the 6pm time to order she expressed a curt manner in telling me it was strictly 6pm asI walked away I overheard one of the drunk yocals say to her " THAT TOLD HIM" returned to the curt women paid my drinks bill and made a swift exit with my wife and two young boys and headed for the BoarInn ,Crook for a much more freindlier welcome,this was like a scene from Deliverance alls it needed was the two drunk yocals to get the Banjos out AVOID this miserable pub go see for yourself BANK holiday Monday 7.5.12

Room Tip: Avoid this place better options close by
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Roy C
Reviewed 27 April 2012

This place is unbelievable the staff here should be working at the local undertakers not in any way working in the pub and leisure industry. If you want to visit the most miserable pub in Britain for a laugh then this is the place fill you're boots. Even the customers were miserable as sin but they seemed to be local oiks! There was no need to make us feel so unwelcome I would have preferred it if they had just told us to go away rather than serve us but once we'd got our drinks it was too late.

Room Tip: Try the Duke William instead great welcome and good food
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank shaun37iggy
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Ok so im biased as i used to live in Staveley however our experience of this accomodation is first class. Paid £75 for the room and breakfast. The room was lovely and well decorated and the breakfast was first class. We stayed on a Thursday night which is quiz night and great fun. The beer is very good and the landlord and staff are so polite and helpful. Stay here, you wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: Wonderful experience.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I don`t really want to write a raving review about this pub/restaurant/hotel as it will only encourage every Tom, Dick and Harry to patronise this brilliant place and it be fully booked when I want to return. I wasn`t too keen on booking this hotel after looking at the picture of the front, it looked like an average old village pub, "BUT HOW LOOKS CAN DECEIVE". Upon arriving quite late around 8.30pm we were welcomed and booked in warmly and efficiently.
The short haired young lady could not do enough to help us. She promptly settled us in and made up the bed settee for our daughter. The restaurant beckoned and we ordered our meals. the staff were genuinely polite friendly and the meals were great, tender steak, fresh veg, tasty, well presented and hot.
The atmosphere and decor in the pub and restaurant was to say the least freindly and eclectic (my type of pub). I stayed at the bar until closing time chatting to the freindly bar staff and local natives.(can`t remember all their names but one was Dave the Builder and another WigWam Bill, oh and not forgetting Big Foot) ;-) Local ales and lager flowing a plenty. Returning to our room I couldn`t help but notice the tasteful vibrant decor, (unusual for an old village pub) or any modern hotel for that matter.
Next morning the same short haired young lady sat us down in the breakfast room ( which reminded us of a medieval banquetting hall) and politely and promptly took our order while we perused the variety of fruits, cereals and yoghurts to start our breakfast. The "Full Cumbrian" came and a tastier and heartier breakfast will be hard to find anywhere, promptly served by you know who, while serving four other tables as well.
The accomodation,food,ales and atmosphere and especially the service all gets a blistering five stars from us, and a pat on the back to all the staff.
So a word to the management :- when every Tom,Dick and Harry as booked in after reading this review, keep a room spare for me.. PLEASE!!!
Thanks and well done.
Graham, Deb and Poppy.
Bridlington.

Room Tip: Don`t know about the other rooms but the family room is worth the extra dosh.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Recently had a meal at the Eagle & Child and can honestly say it was the worst presented meal I have every been served. The food was equally unimpressive, lacking flavour and imagination.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Copiter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staveley
Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
#6 of 13 in Kendal
Crooklands Hotel
Crooklands Hotel
#2 of 13 in Kendal

Been to Eagle & Child Inn? Share your experiences!