“Appalling service and food.”
Review of The Snooty Fox

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Uldale
The Snooty Fox
Ranked #1 of 1 Uldale B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 June 2010

We have a holiday home in Cumbria and arranged to take friends here for a pub supper one Saturday evening, having read good reviews about the food. Our table was booked for 7.15pm, our starters arrived at 8.15pm and our main course at 9pm. The service was appalling. We were given no explanation or apology for the delay. The starters were okay but the main courses were disgraceful. The food looked awful - everything on the plates was dried up - and it tasted worse. We barely ate a thing. No eye contact was made when we were leaving nor at any point were we asked if we had enjoyed our meal. I wrote subsequently to complain about the appalling service and food but have had no reply. This pub appears to rely on passing trade, i.e. holidaymakers, rather than repeat trade or else it would take more pride in its food and service. We won't be back.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
14  Thank fmck49

Reviewed 21 February 2010

We were staying in a cottage nearby.

Ate every night apart from Weds when the kitchen was closed.

Food and ale were consistantly top class. Pricey -but you get what you pay for.

need to book at weekend this is best place for miles around.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 January 2010

Stayed here while my partner was working in the area for a couple of days.

Rooms were large, clean and well furnished. Although a little cold with the radiators on full blast. Mind you it was -3 outside.

Bar area was clean, comfy and welcoming. Locals were chatty. Landlady helpful and bar staff friendly. Real ales kept well from local breweries. Prices ok too. Think it was £2.50 a oint for the real ales.

Food was great. Portions were HUGE, and they are missing a trick with that. Lots of food wasted, smaller portions(that would still be ample) would probably tempt you to order a pudding along with the starter and main. Thus increasing their turnover and adding to your taste buds delights. I dont think we cleared one plate even with the food being that good. Wasnt anything on the menu that I wouldnt have ordered so made it quite tricky to choose. Spoilt for choice.

Breakfast was huge also but with a reasonable choice of alternatives. The chef was helpful and cheeful.

Couldnt really fault our stay, we were glad to find a decent proper pub. We'll be back for sure.

Cheers.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 January 2010

I have stayed at the Snooty Fox and have always thoroughly enjoyed myself. The rooms are excellent and the service is attentive and very friendly. The views from the rooms are stunning. You could certainly climb Scafell Pike after one of Mark's breakfasts - they are superb!
I also own a holiday cottage in Uldale and our visitors frequently say how excellent the food is at the Snooty Fox and how friendly their welcome is. When we stay in our cottage we often eat there and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2009

Having greatly enjoyed my one previous meal here, I thought it would be good to break the journey en route to my fathers funeral which was the next day. I phoned the saturday evening to ask whether they did sunday lunch and what time they stopped serving to be told - we serve all day sir. We arrived at 1430, to be greeted in the car park by the chef.
He said words to the effect of 'I'll save you the bother of getting out (which I had already done) because we're closed'.
My reply 'But I phoned last night to confirm you were open',
His retort 'We've never been open on a sunday'. (See the website for the hours)
My reply 'Then please tell the bar staff so they can advise customers correctly'. Would you mind if the girls use the loo before we go?'
His reply 'feel free' and then 'No on second thoughts I dont like your attitiude, you can [--] off, go on bloody [--] off out of our car park!'.
No point pursuing the conversation so we departed, to eat at another open, friendlier hostelry. Later that day I phoned the proprieter who said the chef had related the conversation finding me very aggressive, but had not told her his language. She intimated that she was on the bar that sat eve and hadnt been aware of my call - I must have had a bad line on my mobile and misheard. She wasnt prepared to accept that our witnessed conversation (by my 24 yr old daughter) wasnt aggressive on my part, altho she did say she'd follow up the foul language.
I for one am not prepared to accept the manner and language I was exposed to - even had I misheard the bar staff when I phoned - the we were exposed to tirade was unacceptable.
Make your own minds up! We will not be returning.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
11  Thank Steve0001
Reviewed 14 April 2009

Went to this pub in October and February, The food is excellent and not your normal bar meals of burger and chips. The staff & locals are very friendly and they take dogs in the snug bar side. We are going back to Uldale in October and will definitely be using the pub again.

PS. didn't get charged for our mints!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2007

The food here is excellent however, the prices are above average for this area. It was a shock to be charged for the ubiquitous after dinner-mints which arrived with our coffee, we had ordered the coffee but not the mints. It is this kind of thing that leaves a bad taste - we will not be returning to this pub but we will be back to the area.

Stayed: August 2007
6  Thank MaryTLondon

Been to The Snooty Fox? Share your experiences!