“Wonderful stay”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Ulverston
Sydney, Australia
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

I had the good fortune to stay at the Hillfoot Hotel for two week recently. The staff went out of their way to be helpful and welcoming - and I am a very demanding guest! So well done Pippa, Helen and Laura! By the way, I almost didn't book due to a few bad reviews on Tripadvisor, but can only assume these characters are out looking for either trouble or a discount. Honestly, some people!! So my advice, if you're looking for a great place to stay, look no further than the marvelous Hillfoot!

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

I found this hotel on TripAdvisor and Booking.com. After reading a few reviews, I decided to book this for the Diamond Jubilee long weekend. It’s a small hotel; it looks more like a big bungalow with bedrooms on the 1st floor. I believe its run by a family, in this case, a mom + her 2 daughters.

We were 3 couples + one 2 yr old. I had actually booked this hotel (in April) well before the Diamond Jubilee bank holidays. From the outset, I experienced their great service.
1) A few days before our travel date, one of my friends wanted to check that they provided a baby cot. When I called, the lady told me not to worry and they will ensure that everyone (including the li’l one) has a comfortable stay. She had a polite & pleasing tone.
2) Though I booked well in advance, I cancelled the booking just a couple of days before the weekend due to certain reasons. However, that same night, plans changed one more time (perils of traveling with a group) and so I called them back to reinstate the booking, importantly, at the same cost. Again, the lady assured me that it was alright and that they would be able to do so, which was great ! (The point to keep in mind here is that I had booked 3 double rooms, not 1; so reinstating all 3 at the same price that I had initially booked them at was well appreciated.)
3) I had asked them if they would be able to provide a TV with a HDMI port since I wanted to plug in my Apple TV to view movies, and again, they said they’d arrange that. Once I reached there, though the TV in the rooms did not have HDMI ports, they brought their personal TV to my room as soon as I checked in !
4) I realized that I did not carry my Apple TV remote and when I asked them if they can help, they readily called a relative of theirs who they knew also had an Apple TV and arranged for him to bring it over the next day !
5) Lastly, they also provided board games! When I checked out, I packed in the board game too by mistake (since I thought one of my friends had brought & forgot it in my room). I realized that it was theirs only after reaching home (London). I called them to apologize and offered to either courier it to them or pay for it and they told me not to worry about it and that I could keep it !!

So all in all, excellent & personalized service.

Pros:
- Affordable rates
- Good location (hardly 10 mins walk to the ‘town centre’, i.e. Queen St, King St, etc.)
- Clean, spacious rooms (I got room 6 which I guess was a suite since it was quite big)
- Free hot breakfast (a choice of veg sausages for vegetarians)
- Fairly priced drinks menu
- Nice lounge area at the back that opens to a garden
- Plenty of parking

Cons (if I have to be picky)
- The mattresses weren’t that comfortable, and took some adjusting
- The bed in one of the other rooms we had booked
- The standard TV in the room was small with not many channels

Room Tip: Room 6 was great.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jkmani
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Had a great time this weekend in Ulverston. This hotel is home from home and the staff always go that extra mile, from lifts in to town when it's raining to an evening meal for our late arrival. Rooms were warm and comfy with extra toiletries available for forgetful husbands!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Lossiemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel recently and although the staff are very helpful,the dining room and bar left a lot to be desired.The first time we stayed the bar area was actually quite nice and it was close to christmas so there was a better atmosphere.This time it totally lacked any atmosphere and putting 2 large sofas in the bar wasted the appearance.Having said that the rooms are fine and the staff are excellent

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

The rooms were very clean and adequately furnished, but the hotel itself was in need of some renovation. On the other hand, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and I had a pleasant night's stay. I was just left feeling that the hotel was overpriced considering what was on offer (It definitely had the feel of a b&b rather than a hotel).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelbunny_scfr
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

I visited the Hill Foot with a group of my friends for a birthday celebration earlier this year, and we all absolutely loved the place!

The rooms were clean and decorated beautifully, the staff were so friendly and accomodating, and the food available was excellent!

Well done to Pippa and the girls for such a brilliant renovation of the place! It's gorgeous, and an excellent event venue.

We will definitely be visiting again!

• Stayed February 2011
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

I stayed at this wonderful hotel for one night only on a business trip. The staff couldn't be more helpful. The room was spot on and ideal for the price. I will definitely be returning with the family in the summer for a short break.
Cant wait !!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ulverston
Lonsdale House Hotel
The Furness Railway Hotel
The Furness Railway Hotel
#1 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Clarence House Country Hotel & Restaurant
Clarence House Country Hotel & R...
#2 of 2 in Dalton-in-Furness

Been to Hill Foot Hotel? Share your experiences!