“Avoid even at £55 per night.”
Review of The Ship Inn

The Ship Inn
The Ship Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ulverston
“Avoid even at £55 per night.”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to cancel our original booking to a different B&B in Ulverston after seeing the website for this B&B in Bardsea. The website displayed photos of gorgeous looking rooms and promised that all rooms within the inn had been fully refurbished. We were given room 2 which, at a guess, hasn’t seen refurbishment since at least the mid 60’s! On arrival we were told that for some reason they thought the booking was just for one person so there weren't enough pillows for both of us because they were busier than expected! We were given an extra towel so that we had one each but were still left with just 1 coffee cup and 1 glass with the tea making facilities.

Our room was really old fashioned, with a pink sink in the bedroom and peeling wall paper in the bathroom. The lock mechanism on the door was flaky at best and required 5 minutes of messing around with in order to lock or unlock the door.

I saw a review on here raving about the ‘fluffiest towels I’ve ever seen in a B&B’. I wouldn’t like to imagine the towels they had experienced previous to this B&B as the ones we received were far beyond their best and really required replacing. They were thin and fraying!

Our room was above the front door where customers to the B&B/pub went to smoke. So as well as smelling smoke, we were disturbed by people chatting all night outside.

We were both looking forward to the breakfast which the website described as, 'A full English Breakfast'. We were very disappointed to find that this ‘Full English Breakfast’ actually consisted of Eggs, Bacon and Baked Beans with white toast! No sausage, no black pudding, no mushrooms, no tomatoes, no choice of white or brown toast! Also breakfast was only served to 8:30! No lazy Sunday morning lay in whilst in the Lake District!

Some of the above could be looked over if the room was clean….but it wasn’t. The light fittings had cobwebs and dust hanging from them, the shower needed a good scrub and there were ‘those’ hairs from previous customers on the bathroom floor.

Save your money, it may seem like a bargain for £55 but this place really was dreadful!

Room Tip: Avoid all rooms!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Leo_nw75

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I have reviewed The Ship Inn previously but only ate and drank there on our last visit (June 2012).
My husband and I decided to book in at short notice for a 3 night break from 5/4/13-7/4/13. We received a very warm welcome, Katy remembered us by name and bought us our first drink which was a very nice gesture.We had a lovely room (no3) at the front of the hotel. The room is en-suite but with a bath only, however as room 2 was free Gwen and Katy offered us the use of the shower in there, this was perfect for us.The bed was extremely comfortable and as I am a woman of a certain age I had the window open all night, It was very peaceful, the area is so tranquil.Once again the food was absolutely fantastic and great value for money.The beer to my husbands delight is kept to a very high standard. The locals are all really friendly and interesting people, they made us very welcome and included us in their banter. We left very relaxed and several pounds heavier!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank terry335
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I stay away from home on business many times through the year all over the country and think of the ship as the best on all accounts.
Firstly, I was welcomed very warmly, I found the room to be very clean and the bed very comfortable.
I popped down to the bar for a pint of beer where again I was greeted with a smile and a great choice of beer, from local real ales to well known brands of lager. The locals from this lovely village were very friendly and again made me feel very welcome... It was certainly refreshing after spending many times in larger hotels without any atmosphere.
It was now time to chose something to eat for my evening meal, I had a choice of the eating from the tapas menu or the main menu, another fantastic selection ( the only problem is to choose only one !) I decided to go for a starter of chilli, ginger and lime marinated prawns on skewers on a bed of salad - so so delicious, I could have had it again and again.. For the main course, I chose the Moroccan lamb which was slowly cooked in apricots, mint and almonds.... Totally flavoursome and cooked perfectly.. The chef smashed it !!

After a few more beers I retired to my room, awoke and then went down for a very tasty full English breakfast, served very fresh with a smile.

I will always stay here when visiting the south lakes and will be bringing my partner up for a weekend stay very soon!!

Thanks to everyone at the ship...

Paul from West Sussex

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Paul M
Medway Kent
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Returned on Friday from a week's holiday (same party of 10 as Matt W) and feel we have to rate this superb establishment. We ate there the first night and were so impressed that we went back for two more family meals later in the week. The food was great, with the chef preparing everything freshly, including vegetarian meals that he created from scratch. Great beer (Celebration Ale was a favourite) and good atmosphere. The owners and locals really made everyone feel part of the place whilst we were there. Will be back, thanks for a great service which made our holiday.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kim W
Chatham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Just got back from a weeks family holiday in Bardsea, and this gorgeous little villiage in was the highlight of our break. We were in a large group of 10 adults, but despite taking up a third of the dining room they were more than happy to accomodate us and were very welcoming. Fine local ales and some of the best chips we've ever tasted! One of our group is a vegetarian and the chef put on some lovely veggie meals which went down a treat. Unfortunately they ran out of the venison pie the first night but put on extra venison henrys when we came back to make up for it, and it was well worth the wait! The prices were very reasonable too for top notch food.

The locals were very chatty and the whole place has a very cozy "front room" atmosphere which is just the ticket after a cold day out walking on the fells. I will definately be back at some point in the future! Many thanks to Katie and co for the great service.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Matt W
Prestonian Lancashire
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Just called in after a walk in the area, a warm fire , good beers, warm welcome and a great bowl of chips ! Evening menu looked good and there are curry evenings, don't serve sun evenings and may be worth checking opening times Only a small inn but could stay overnight.
Hope to return for a proper meal in the future

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank angela18
Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We booked the hotel for New Year. Everyone was very helpful and flexible from organising our stay to arranging breakfast. Gwen was most helpful in dealing with my food allergies at breakfast and accommodating a late cooked breakfast following the New Year celebrations. Our room was warm and comfortable..

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ulverston
Sea Wood Bed and Breakfast
#2 of 2 in Cartmel
Hill Foot Hotel
Hill Foot Hotel
#4 of 5 in Ulverston

Been to The Ship Inn? Share your experiences!