“Fantastic every time!!”

Ranked #18 of 72 Restaurants in Ulverston
Price range: US$12 - US$17
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are an old style Country Pub based in the village of Urswick, nearby to Ulverston, Dalton and Barrow. We offer a friendly atmosphere with a fully stocked bar. For those wanting to dine we offer a pub classics menu with an edge, some items include Cajun Chicken, Steaks, Gammon, Lasagne, Sausage, Burgers, Stir Frys and Homemade Pies. The venue also offers an early bird menu served Wed - Sat between 5pm and 6pm. We are dog friendly in the bar area and welcome families into the establishment. The pub also has BT sport, pool table and dart board as well as several board games and cards available to add to the family experience
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Fantastic every time!!”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Having visited the Burgoyne three times in the past six weeks, I felt a review of the place was long overdue. Each visit has been for different reasons. First visit as a couple, second visit Sunday lunch with the kids, third visit Christmas night out with friends. The first two visits we were lucky enough to get a table in the snug next to the fire. A really nice cosy place to sit on a winters evening. In a large group you would probably need to sit in the Orangery which is still nice. The food has always been fantastic, always exceptional quality. My favourite to date I would have to say was the good old turkey dinner which i would highly reccomend at this time of the year!! Food aside, the place just has a real nice feel about it. For us it just ticks all the boxes, especially as its somewhere that we can also take the kids (who loved the food as well)
I can see there has been a a couple of poor reviews recently which suprises me, however i think it depends on what your looking for. For us its all about quality, which the Burgoyne delivers every time.

• Visited December 2013
generalburgoyne, Owner at The General Burgoyne, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for your recent review Liz. It's very pleasing to hear you have enjoyed each of your visits to the General Burgoyne. We strive to provide quality in everything we do from the food to the atmosphere to the surroundings and of course the service of our staff.

I feel I must comment on how well behaved your children are - a pleasure to have in our pub and a real credit to you, they're most welcome any time!

We look forward to seeing you again in the future. All the best for 2014

Hitchin, United Kingdom
“Ice Cream Slide”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Our second visit to the General B. and as before it was a delight. The welcome and food was wonderful. A slight slip was that at desert the ice cream slid off the slate platter into my lap as the waitress was placing it on the table - no panic and the ice cream did land in my serviette - the platter was removed and soon returned with fresh ice cream. The waitress was very apologetic but no harm done, accidents happen and it was dealt with professionally. I do recommend the General B and I will return on my next visit to Southern Lakes.

• Visited November 2013
generalburgoyne, Owner at The General Burgoyne, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the General Burgoyne, we're pleased you enjoyed your meal, but must apologise once again for the ice cream mishap, which obviously should never have happened. It was in fact Courtneys first evening working for us and I think nerves got the better of her and she mis-balanced the dessert slate. Thank you for being so understanding in such an embarrassing situation for us.

We look forward to welcoming you to our cosy country pub next time you're in the area.

Ainsdale, United Kingdom
“Poor Value”
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We were introduced to this pub/restaurant by friends who had enjoyed a previous visit. We were all disappointed on this occasion. I had the, "Retro catch of the day" which turned out to be the smallest seabass fillet I have ever seen on a weird bed of something described as a medley of veg. It looked like thinly sliced cucumber.That fish should not have been landed, it was very undersized. My friends had the belly pork, again a tiny portion on a bed of mash. I did complain to the waiter who stated that he also thought my portion was small but nothing came of it and one doesn't want to spoil everyone's night by making a big issue of it. As no one responded to my complaint I decided to make it on TA. A bit too nouveau cuisine for me, especially for a pub/ restaurant, and on this occasion, poor value.

Visited October 2013
generalburgoyne, Owner at The General Burgoyne, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
So sorry to hear your experience of our cosy country pub did not live up to your expectations. We are not a run of the mill pub serving 'pile it high sell it cheap' style food - we prefer to focus on serving excellent quality homemade dishes - absolutely everything we serve is made here in our kitchen including our bread and ice creams - quite unique in the area.

Having spoken to every member of my staff, nobody recalls your comments or complaint. I can only apologise nothing was done about your concerns, we do try our very best to ensure we please every customer.. We serve quality food, big on flavour. The 'Catch of the Day' dish is a lighter fish dish, very well suited to those customers who want to ensure room for pudding! Your visit must have been some time ago as seabass is no longer in season. We only use locally line caught bass, which this year has been huge, and hugely popular. The medley of veg you refer to is sauteed potatoes, courgette (not cucumber), spring onions, mange tout, and fresh herbs. The belly pork dish has always generated comments of how generous the portion is and how deliciously big the flavours are, with the pork slowly braised overnight and served with homemade jus (real gravy - no packet stuff here!)

So sorry 'Outbackdel' that you feel your meals were poor value, but that that rather depends on what you consider value to be - quantity or quality. Had you wished for a bigger portion of food perhaps you would have been more suited to ordering the traditional beer battered fish and chips or 10oz steak, chips, mushroom, tomato and onion rings - pub classics and certainly not nouveau cuisine, or we could have provided you with a side order of our delicious chips had you felt the need to fill up on volume.

We are most definitely a cosy country pub (not restaurant) serving great quality food in warm welcoming surroundings, as the volume of repeat custom and entry into numerous food guides supports.

We do hope you consider visiting us again in the future to allow us the opportunity to please and maybe offer advice on suitably sized meals for the larger appetite.

Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Mixed experiences”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Visited twice in September: once for weekday lunch and another for afternoon tea.
Lunch was delicious - a platter for one of us and a beef sandwich with scrummy soup for the other. Service was outstanding and friendly.
The second visit left a lot to be desired: The savoury items of our afternoon tea was tasty but the cakes were disappointing - poor macaroons and the cake that I suspect had been removed from the freezer earlier - no problem with that, but it was burned! We asked for a replacement - not as badly burned but dry. Service was friendly. Afternoon tea based on our experience - not recommended sadly.

• Visited September 2013
generalburgoyne, Owner at The General Burgoyne, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visits to our cosy country pub. We're pleased to hear you consider our service to be good and you enjoyed your lunchtime visit. We're disappointed to hear our seasonal afternoon tea did not live up to your expectations and you considered the Prune & Manuka Honey Slice to be burned, then dry, and the Chocolate & Pistachio Macaroons not to be good. I can only apologise for our shortfall on this occasion - the macaroons are served with all of our hot drinks and we have received many complimentary comments, whilst the Prune Slice although being a sponge based cake is very rich and dark in colour, all I can think is the dark colour the prunes give may have given the appearance of being overcooked.

I sincerely apologise for any dissatisfaction you experienced and do hope you visit again, maybe for an evening meal, when I am sure you will see just why we're one of the few establishments in South Cumbria to have achieved recognition in The Good Food Guide 2013 & 2014 amongst numerous other awards.

We look forward to welcoming you to the General Burgoyne in the future.

Long Eaton, United Kingdom
“Good food in a pleasing atmosphere”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This pub has two distinct areas, the old pub part and a newer conservatory style area. Each has a character of its own.

The food is of a high quality at a reasonable price bearing in mind it is close to the National Park where prices seem to jump up.

Well worth a visit.

• Visited June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit. We're pleased to hear you enjoyed the food in our cosy country pub and look forward to welcoming you in the future.