“Our new Favourite”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2012

My boyfriend and I made a reservation for our 2nd anniversary here, I, not having been there since I was interested in food, really enjoyed everything, and so did Jamie. I had the 'Deep fried Brie Wedges' (w/ cranberry compote) to start, he had 'Salmon & Cod Fish Cakes' (w/ sweet chili dip), both came with side salad of rocket, peppers, cherry tomatoes and balsamic dressing. The brie was perfectly creamy and the fishcakes were buttery and delicious, the accompaniments complimented the dish in all the right ways.

For the main, I had 'Penné Pesto Feta'- a creamy fusion of basil, parmesan, feta and olive oil. I always make lots of Italian based pasta dishes at home and rarely find one in a restaurant that I like more than my own, but this is one of them :) Jamie had the 'Tagliatelle Salmone'- tagliatelle in a creamy tomato sauce with smoked salmon strips with a fillet of salmon poached in white wine placed on top! The salmon was moist, the sauce was creamy and the flavours came together brilliantly The waitress asked us both if we wanted any parmesan or pepper (we both had extra parmesan)
We both took our mains home with us because we could not resist a dessert (I am enjoying it and reminiscing while I'm writing now)

We both had the Tiramisu for dessert. It was just the right balance of rich, velvety coffee flavour with the creamy mixture and chocolate savings and chocolate sauce drizzled on top. Served with a choice of homemade ice cream or whipped cream, Jamie had ice cream and I had the latter. We both consumed the whole plate of it despite our increasing fullness.

We had a delightful smiley waitress, the service was very quick, we were in and out in 2 hours.
The meal without drinks was £37.50 which is very affordable for 3 courses with a side, it was £48.05 with drinks (lovely large glass of full bodied red, a bottle of Peroni and 2 J20s).

This restaurant was what Italian food is all about- simple, fresh ingredients, brilliantly melded flavours :)

2  Thank JessTheMess73
There are newer reviews for Ristorante Rossini

Reviewed 15 March 2012

This very quaint little place is just delightful. Hosted by wonderful staff, you are made to feel special. We were dealt with my a wonderful young lady, Anoushka, who made us feel special and made time to talk and make us feel important despite the sheer business of the place. The other young lady working was a delight too always with a smile on her face. The food is also brilliant value for money and delicious. I highly recommend the fishcakes! I would definately recommend the place and will be returning! Thank you for a wonderful evening!

1  Thank mjones1974
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Some friends and I had been meaning to visit Ulverston for a walking break in the lake district for years. We finally did in January this year.

Unfamiliar with Ulverston’s eateries, we asked in a local pub (Farmers Arms) for recommendations, the chap behind the bar suggested Rossini’s. After we got back to our guest house, our swift half was long since forgotten and so too was the advise of the bar steward.
That evening my group and I walked past a couple of empty looking restaurants and then stumbled upon Ristorante Rossini’s.
With the recommendation back to the front of my mind, I walked in and asked for a table of five. I hadn’t booked and they were extremely busy so I was nervous about getting a table. A few minutes later the kind staff had adjusted the room layout and created a table for us.

The food and wine which followed was exactly as we’d hoped for in a really comfortable and buzzing environment. I had the Chicken with an orange and tarragon sauce which was cooked perfectly; the rest of my party went for a mixture of pizzas and pastas and reported similar delight.

Loved the food, loved the service and loved the prices: Ristorante Rossini is the perfect local Italian with all the homemade and unique qualities of a non-chain establishment I wish it was closer to my home town!!

4  Thank Phillip Y
Reviewed 18 February 2012

The Ristorante Rossini in Ulverston, is just round the corner from the huge stone cross at the end of the high street. It is a lovely Italian style cafe/restaurant with very good food at really decent prices. They have a great pizza menu, and also serve all the good Italian dishes we are all used to.
They serve the excellent Italian Birra Peroni, along with a large selection of wines. On the night I visited the restaurant, I ate the Spaghetti Carbonara, and it was really nice. The restaurant is attended by two lovely girls, one is called Anoushka, and the other called Kaia, they are both so nice, if the food was not as good as it was, I would still go back !

Thank you Anoushka and Kaia, I will be back when I next have to work in Ulveston.

Richard Kaminski.