“Amazingly good value, superb venue”

St Mary's Mount Manor
St Mary's Mount Manor
Ranked #13 of 27 Ulverston B&B and Inns
East Sussex
“Amazingly good value, superb venue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

The ladies at St Mary's Mount have welcomed us and our party over the years for the Ulverston Festival in June. Very comfortable bedrooms, beautiful decor, excellent quality breakfasts done just the way you like them.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Just ask for what you need when you ring - the proprietress will sort you out.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank bryow22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

A beatiful manor house on a hill in Ulverston, we had a great and eccentric room suite in the roof complete with TV, bath, skylights and headbashing beams. The owners (a husband and wife team) are very sweet and kindly: this is a true bed and breakfast in the best and worst of that tradition. A family home, converted to take paying guests, it's covered in pictures, books, mementos and family photos. It's full of character so for people who hate the sterility of hotel chains, it's a great choice. But if you crave a bit more anonymity than staying in what amounts to a stranger's house, this may be a bit too close for comfort.

Arriving felt a bit like turning up at your aunt's house - our host wasn't quite back from the shops, and we were mildly scolded for not having fully confirmed our booking (we thought we had). We fancied watching TV in the evening only to find out the Sky Box was on the blink. I wandered downstairs to see if anyone was around who might know how to get it working. Bumping into our female host, I realised to late that her solution was to get her husband out of bed to have a look at it. Very sweet, but excruciatingly embarrassing.

Room Tip: The attic rooms were great but not a) if you have poor peripheral vision (ouch) or bad knees (very s...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I want to love this place...with it's Victorian character, interesting artifacts, comfortable furnishings and warm friendliness but I struggled to.

I hope the owners read this and tackle my grumbles because I want to come back:

The rooms are dusty not cleaned well enough. The attic room had cobwebs everywhere. Some had obviously been there some time and some were fresh with live spiders which I had to dispose of. Don't look behind the bed or the sofa! You can write messages on the dust layer sitting on the beams. The sheet had a pubic hair so possibly not changed. Needless to say I didn't sleep well.

There was also an empty biscuit wrapper & empty milk capsules from previous person.

The attic rooms are quirky but not very practical because in bed you rest your head into the wedge of the slanting ceiling which has a drape that almost sits on your forehead. I had to kneel to wash my face in the on-suite basin because of it's position which was quite funny :).

In spite of these comments I'd stay there again if the house keeping of the rooms are sorted.

Room Tip: Avoid attic rooms. 1st floors rooms are better but suffered dust problems also if your prone to alle...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Delbertini
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

A single night here prior to my walk on the Cumbria Way, but my second night in this particular hotel as my agent put me up here last year too before the same walk. A very comfortable and spacious room again, and a lovely meal to set me on my way first thing the following morning. This hotel is a short distance (five minutes walk) out of town but I had no problems finding it and identifying the right premises. Please note though that there is still no sign at the front of the building. Thanks Mrs Bobbett, hope to see you again some time!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

This was our second stay at St Mary's Mount, having spent the first two days of our honeymoon here two years ago. Our room was in the stable annex, with a self contained kitchen, ideal should you wish to cook for yourself, although, there are many excellent restaurants in the town within short walking distance. The bedroom has opulent furnishings & the bathroom/wet room with Jacuzzi tub is amazing. We had breakfast in the main house, a feast fit for a king - made from locally sourced produce, with homemade preserves from our hostess, fresh fruit & a truly excellent full English.... To sum up, if you can manage to go walking after breakfast, a heavenly soak in the Jacuzzi tub awaits your return, followed by a dreamy nights sleep under rich downy covers in the super king size bed. We will be visiting again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bridget B
Hallbankgate
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

Firstly, I struggled to find this place. There is no sign outside saying that its a B&B. There's not even a sign saying the name of the house until you walk down the driveway. Given that the entrance isn't on the postal road it's no wonder I couldn't find it.
I called up to say that i was struggling to find it but got the answer phone then, about 30 mins later when I did locate it I got told that the host hadn't got around to calling me back yet.
I was in a room in a seperate block to the main house. The decor was nice but the basics weren't met. The sockets in the wall were loose so when i pulled out my mobile phone plug the television went off momentarily. Scary!
Also when I came down for breakfast in the morning I found that the main door to my block had been locked overnight. This also seemed to be the fire escape so that seemed a bit dangerous.
Breakfast was ok but nothing special. I'm aware that the owners were away so things might have been better had they been around.
There were some nice touches such as a guest kitchen and fresh communal milk but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Thirsk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Stayed here with 3 friends prior to walking the Cumbria Way. Fantastic period house built I believe about 1820. Stayed in one of the attic rooms which had a sitting room and a fabulous bathroom .Due to its location headroom was a little restricted at the doorways, so watch your head. The owners/staff were very helpful. The breakfast was superb, from fresh fruit to the full English. Would recommend it without any hesitation.

Room Tip: Would recommend the attic room with sitting room.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends