“Another tasty lunch”

Fourpence Cafe & Shoppe
Ranked #1 of 81 Restaurants in Ulverston
Cuisines: Cafe
Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

Great place to eat in Ulverston. Jane and Sam are great hosts and always find time to chat and have a joke. Their food is excellent and the coffee is exceptional. I have never had a bad meal yet and have been lots. The Creme Brûlée is to die for.

Reviewed 28 September 2018 via mobile

We didn't have the chowder although our fellow customers all seemed to be making very complimentary noises. Instead I had the sandwich of the day (5 stars) and the toasted cheese which came with some excellent bacon (also 5 stars). Despite being completely stuffed, we managed to pack in some fruit crumble which, needless to say, was excellent. Both Jane and Sam make wonderful hosts and you feel like you're dining in their front room which is actually also an antique shop. In every way, this was a truly satisfying and delicious lunch in a lovely, quaint cafe.

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

I thought I’d died and gone to heaven!Chance would be a fine thing but Sam & Jane’s fish chowder has got to be the nearest thing!
The ambiance of the ‘Fourpence Cafe & Shoppe’ is what I would call ‘homely’, in that I instantly felt at home.
No doubt an obvious result of the warm and open greeting I received from Sam & Jane when I wandered inside....
I had been perusing the ornaments and pieces of furniture displayed outside the premises when I glanced inside and spotted some clocks on the wall.
I went in expecting to find an antique or bric&brac shop but instead did I not only find many interesting items for sale, there were tables and chairs set out.
After Jane greeted me warmly and I explained my surprise at finding a cafe as well as a shop, the most wonderful smell put a spell on me. I had smelled their wonderful fish chowder!
So, I sat down and Jane brought me a delicious cup of coffee whilst Sam prepared the fish chowder and served it with a warm brown roll. Amazing!
I didn’t need much persuasion to have another coffee with a beautiful apple crumble with cream ánd ice cream. Gorgeous! Made in a way that reminded of the apple cake in my native land The Netherlands.
Needless to say, I shall return here at every opportunity.
I highly recommend you do the same!

Reviewed 10 September 2018

First time in Ulverston after many years in the Lakes and all down to the reviews of this cafe on TA.

After a walk along the front we ventured into the town centre and were impressed with the many different shops. It's a working town and there aren't the tourists you get elsewhere.

We received a warm welcome in the Fourpence cafe and were immediately in conversation with the owners and a patron who recommended the fish chowder.

Two of us had the home made lemonade, very refreshing. We all had the chowder and it was so tasty. A big pot of creamy goodness containing leeks, potatoes and the fish was haddock I think. A big warm fresh chunk of bread and butter to soak it all up, splendid.

I'm only sorry I didn't get to sample a dessert, bound to be delicious.

It's a bit out of our way but we will return at some point, for sure.

1  Thank RazzyBthefirst
Reviewed 9 September 2018

A visit to Jane & Sam (for Jane's Birthday) and another scrummy meal freshly prepared. One of Sam's original vegetarian bakes.... so very tasty. Then Jane's Apple & orange Crumble with cream. All gorgeous!