“Excellent Friendly Clean Hotel”

Lonsdale House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Ulverston
Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

Myself and my wife stayed here in August for our wedding Aniversary weekend, I contacted the hotel in advance and asked for Champagne on Ice and flowers to be put in the room as a surprise for my wife on arrival and they certainly did not let me down and did me proud! Room had a lively view of the gardens, a comfortable 4 poster bed, very clean bathroom with Jacuzzi bath. The room had character and was very clean. Breakfast was enjoyable, cooked to liking, served hot. All in all this hotel gets top marks from me, attention to detail from staff and the very friendly owners was superb. Ulverston was very nice too, we will be back in 2013 and we will definately stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Carlp0408

Reviewed 21 February 2013

Lonsdale House Hotel
This hotel is really good, I have been staying in this hotel for a considerable amount of weeks due to being on a remote placement with my university course.

Location:
The hotel is in a lovely location and the surrounding village is amazingly cute, there are a few village shops to look around and a little tesco express or co operative if you need to do any supermarket shopping.

Service/Staff:
The staff are lovely and really accommodating, they made me and my friends feel so welcome. The owners of the hotel are a really nice couple and are willing to do whatever they can if you need something.

Cleanliness:
The rooms are cleaned everyday and were very clean when we arrived not a spec of dirt anywhere really, cannot fault that in any way shape or form.
The also offer a laundry service which is really helpful if you're staying for a long period of time.

Hotel rooms:
I have stayed in two different rooms in this hotel and both have been lovely, they are very cosy rooms and feel homely. They do seem a little outdated but it just adds to the character of the hotel. Both rooms had a tv with sufficient signal to watch at night after work. The first room I stopped in had a lovely shower and the second a lovely shower and bath which was a great privilege compared to what I have in my university residence. Both rooms varied in size one of them was big enough to have a sofa in it which I believe is a sofa bed, which was quite cool for just chilling out on.
However the bed I had was a little uncomfortable for my liking, felt a little bit like my back was breaking at night and so I began to sleep on top of the pillows for comfort. In saying this it might just be because I am used to have really good mattresses at uni and home.

Breakfast:
Breakfast was lovely, ranging from a full english to a bowl of ceral with fruit and maybe a pot of yogurt. I really enjoyed waking up and having breakfast here. No faults!

Overall just a really nice stay and I'd happily return. :)

Room Tip: Rooms downstairs have better wifi connection
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank WHATUP_13
Reviewed 17 February 2013

have just stayed the night here and am struggling to know where start. Firstly we arrived and we were demanded to pay up for our room in cash. On inspection of our room no 307 we were shocked of its poor standards bearing in mind it was £96 for the night. On arrival at breakfast at 9.28 we were greeted by two lovely waitresses who were most helpful and took our order of cooked breakfasts. Firstly the table next to ours had their breakfasts straight away having arrived 20 minutes after us, and when our breakfasts arrived between 10.15 and 10.45 they were not cooked properly. The mushrooms were just sliced and put on the plate and were completely raw along with the tomatoes. The sausage looked well cooked in appearance but was clearly raw and pink on dissection. FInally at 11 am when 5 of our 7 breakfasts had arrived we decided to call it a day and cancel our remaining breakfasts. Results of our investigations into the breakfast issues showed that the chef (elderly owner) couldn't cope with making 7 breakfasts all at once and it was indeed beyond his ovens capabilities. Checking out also proved difficult as there was no bell on reception to draw staffs attention, once this was achieved though it proved a reasonably smooth process and included a refund for our breakfasts.
Overall a poor experience at this hotel and I would strongly suggest not staying here. On a positive note ulverston is wonderful place and we enjoyed our weekend adventure.

• Stayed: February 2013
10  Thank lytham4ths
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Stayed here for one night on business, the hotel was ok but no better (and potentially worse). The hotel is very close to the centre of Ulverston, but the car park opposite is a pay and display and not cheap if you park during the day.

The hotel itself is obviously quite old, has some character but not a lot. My room (317 or 307) was a twin room, it's obviously had a part refurbishment which looks neither here nor there. Imagine a new carpet with cheap 80s furniture and a mobile phone screen trying to be a television. On the positive side, the room was clean and tidy and the bathroom quite nice, however the shower couldn't cope at 6am with the demand and was a bit hot and cold - useable but not exactly enjoyable.

Breakfast was fairly good, and I received fast service which I like when trying to get away in the morning.

So, all in all just OK for a nights stay, not great but not terrible either.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank HolidayPaulo
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Stayed 11/12/2012 in the middle of winter.

I booked a double room (Double bed) for 3 nights mid week. The room I was allocated was a twin (two singles). There was a portable heater already switched on when I entered the room, this was because the radiators in the room & bathroom didn't work. I knew this because there were signs on them saying Out of order, Do not use. The room itself was very basic and dated. The flat screen TV was no bigger than my laptop screen so I didn't bother turning it on.

The bathroom was absolutely freezing. No toiletries. The shower was nice and big and worked well. There was only one small bath towel. The towels couldn't dry because the radiators didn't work so I couldn't have a shower in the morning. The extractor fan in the bathroom wouldn't turn off so I went to jam my tooth brush in it but had second thoughts when I noticed how filthy the fan was.

The free internet in the rooms that they advertise on their website doesn't work.

The room that the Hotel shows on there website doesn't resemble anything like room 307.

Breakfast was OK and staff efficient.

There is a sign downstairs displaying: Restaurant closed until further notice due to unforeseen circumstances.

I mentioned all of these problems to the receptionist, who I might add was really nice and friendly, but couldn't move me rooms as the hotel was fully booked. I told her that I would be checking out in the morning because of all the issues and she totally understood.

There is a pay & display car park directly opposite that you have to use at your own cost.

I am doing the Hotel a favour by only rating it a Poor. The only reason I am not rating it a Terrible is because the young receptionist with the red hair was lovely and tried her best to help.

No apology from the the old dear on reception whilst checking out the following morning.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 307. You have been warned :)
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank daz m
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I recently stayed overnight at this hotel in Ulverston. The room was lovely with a four poster bed and I really wished that I could have spent longer. The hotel staff were very friendly and hepful and I would well recommend this hotel to anyone who is a single traveller.

Room Tip: Try a four poster room!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We were made very welcome by the friendly, knowledgeable and helpful staff. The room was clean and comfortable and there was a delightful garden guests could sit out in - weather permitting! The hotel was perfectly situated for Ulverston town centre - easy public car parking directly opposite the hotel. Breakfast was nicely cooked. We would love to return one day!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ulverston
The Ship Inn
Abbey House Hotel
Abbey House Hotel
#3 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Hotel
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Ho...
#2 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Damson Dene Hotel
Damson Dene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite

Been to Lonsdale House Hotel? Share your experiences!