“A game of two halves”

Lonsdale House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Ulverston
“A game of two halves”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

First the good bit: Breakfast was well cooked, served quickly, and with a smile from our waitress. The hotel (I'll come back to this word later...), was clean and adequate. As part of a large group some of us had nice, recently renovated rooms whilst other rooms seemed a bit careworn still.
Our jacuzzi's plug didn't fit and we had half a shower curtain. The wifi was good.

But.... woe betide anyone that wakes up the proprietor at the ungodly hour of 10.45pm having locked their key in their room and needing a spare, we were informed that this wasn't a 24 hour hotel, and made to feel we should have spent the night on the landing.

It was festival night in Ulverston, but not for everyone. The pub opposite was noisy til late, and our host was obviously not in the mood, Service with a smile? Our survey says... 0/10.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Scoffnouse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Henley on Thames
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Many of the reviewers sniping about this hotel seem to have forgotten that it is extremely cheap. I booked a double and twin for Saturday night (nowhere else in Ulverston had availability) as we were visiting family in the town.

It was absolutely fine. If we go to the Four Seasons we expect fresh flowers in the room, fluffy bathrobes, good quality toiletries and sofas. That's because we're paying north of £500 per night.

In Lonsdale house you don't get any of that stuff, but you are paying £90 for two people including breakfast. We got a perfectly comfortable room with a four poster and decent bath and shower. Everything was scrupulously clean and we would have slept well if it hadn't been for some prat talkling very loudly outside our room, which can happen anywhere.

For the price, this is a perfectly decent hotel. The garden looked nice though we didn't have time to walk around it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Keswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We only stayed one night, but we had a very friendly welcome the girl on the desk showed me 3 rooms all very nice and clean,she kindly gave us a ground floor room as my partner has trouble going up stairs it was a twin but she made it a double for us .Very helpful and pleasant stay there
would recommend it .

Room Tip: Well i saw 3 rooms and all were fine
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

having been told the restaurant would be open on our arrival this was not the case , also there was no bar open.... we stayed for 3 days and only breakfast was available..... we were not offered any price reduction for what was a basic bed & breakfast.... all in all an old fashioned place in need of an update and a restaurant and bar in running order.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank nin5

Travellers are raving about these Ulverston hotels

Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

Myself and my wife stayed here in August for our wedding Aniversary weekend, I contacted the hotel in advance and asked for Champagne on Ice and flowers to be put in the room as a surprise for my wife on arrival and they certainly did not let me down and did me proud! Room had a lively view of the gardens, a comfortable 4 poster bed, very clean bathroom with Jacuzzi bath. The room had character and was very clean. Breakfast was enjoyable, cooked to liking, served hot. All in all this hotel gets top marks from me, attention to detail from staff and the very friendly owners was superb. Ulverston was very nice too, we will be back in 2013 and we will definately stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Carlp0408
Rotherham
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Lonsdale House Hotel
This hotel is really good, I have been staying in this hotel for a considerable amount of weeks due to being on a remote placement with my university course.

Location:
The hotel is in a lovely location and the surrounding village is amazingly cute, there are a few village shops to look around and a little tesco express or co operative if you need to do any supermarket shopping.

Service/Staff:
The staff are lovely and really accommodating, they made me and my friends feel so welcome. The owners of the hotel are a really nice couple and are willing to do whatever they can if you need something.

Cleanliness:
The rooms are cleaned everyday and were very clean when we arrived not a spec of dirt anywhere really, cannot fault that in any way shape or form.
The also offer a laundry service which is really helpful if you're staying for a long period of time.

Hotel rooms:
I have stayed in two different rooms in this hotel and both have been lovely, they are very cosy rooms and feel homely. They do seem a little outdated but it just adds to the character of the hotel. Both rooms had a tv with sufficient signal to watch at night after work. The first room I stopped in had a lovely shower and the second a lovely shower and bath which was a great privilege compared to what I have in my university residence. Both rooms varied in size one of them was big enough to have a sofa in it which I believe is a sofa bed, which was quite cool for just chilling out on.
However the bed I had was a little uncomfortable for my liking, felt a little bit like my back was breaking at night and so I began to sleep on top of the pillows for comfort. In saying this it might just be because I am used to have really good mattresses at uni and home.

Breakfast:
Breakfast was lovely, ranging from a full english to a bowl of ceral with fruit and maybe a pot of yogurt. I really enjoyed waking up and having breakfast here. No faults!

Overall just a really nice stay and I'd happily return. :)

Room Tip: Rooms downstairs have better wifi connection
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank WHATUP_13
Reviewed 17 February 2013

have just stayed the night here and am struggling to know where start. Firstly we arrived and we were demanded to pay up for our room in cash. On inspection of our room no 307 we were shocked of its poor standards bearing in mind it was £96 for the night. On arrival at breakfast at 9.28 we were greeted by two lovely waitresses who were most helpful and took our order of cooked breakfasts. Firstly the table next to ours had their breakfasts straight away having arrived 20 minutes after us, and when our breakfasts arrived between 10.15 and 10.45 they were not cooked properly. The mushrooms were just sliced and put on the plate and were completely raw along with the tomatoes. The sausage looked well cooked in appearance but was clearly raw and pink on dissection. FInally at 11 am when 5 of our 7 breakfasts had arrived we decided to call it a day and cancel our remaining breakfasts. Results of our investigations into the breakfast issues showed that the chef (elderly owner) couldn't cope with making 7 breakfasts all at once and it was indeed beyond his ovens capabilities. Checking out also proved difficult as there was no bell on reception to draw staffs attention, once this was achieved though it proved a reasonably smooth process and included a refund for our breakfasts.
Overall a poor experience at this hotel and I would strongly suggest not staying here. On a positive note ulverston is wonderful place and we enjoyed our weekend adventure.

• Stayed February 2013
10 Thank lytham4ths
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ulverston
Sea Wood Bed and Breakfast
Sea Wood Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 5 in Ulverston
The Ship Inn
The Ship Inn
#5 of 5 in Ulverston
Clarence House Country Hotel & Restaurant
Clarence House Country Hotel & R...
#2 of 2 in Dalton-in-Furness
#1 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Abbey House Hotel
Abbey House Hotel
#2 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness

Been to Lonsdale House Hotel? Share your experiences!