“Best fish and chips ever!”
Review of Chippy Bank

Chippy Bank
Ranked #15 of 73 Restaurants in Ulverston
Reviewed 18 August 2014

If you've a hankering for fish and chips, this is the plaice for you (ha!).

Crispy batter, great chips, and can recommend the garlic dip. We went at 4:45 (opening time) and there was already a queue of 4 or 5 locals - no wonder!

1  Thank TLovatt

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We visit the Chippy Bank in Ulverston most Friday evenings. What brings us back again and again? The quality of the fish and chips.

The chips are always cooked through, hot, tasty, don't taste of stale oil and aren't ever soggy.

The fish, well, it's just the best I can get for miles. The batter always crispy and doesn't contain that awful yellow sludge just underneath the surface that seems to be the norm in most chip shops. The fish always superbly cooked and fresh, never over-cooked and dry.

The mushy peas, always hot and mushy, no hard bits, not too salty and not dried up. The service in the table side is always quick and polite and best of all, the place is clean. It has a 5 star hygiene rating. They serve tea which my husband assures me is fresh and nice, I drink water so I can't comment. I suppose the one disappointment would be the bread and ..... well, I'm pretty sure it isn't butter. I didn't realise they still made Mother's Pride :o) It's white, thin and served with scrape. It's almost traditional. I don't eat it but hubby does. I guess if they needed to they could change it for a better loaf and use butter but as they're always so busy I guess they probably feel they don't need to.

There is a wide range of dishes to choose from, the usual sausage, sausage roll, pies, chicken and burgers to name a few. Why anyone would want to eat anything else when the fish is so good I don't know.

It's always busy as there at the takeaway counter which rightly suggests it's a great place for dependable fish and chips. Price wise it's not expensive for the quality. Recommended.

3  Thank sooperb
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Second visit to this chip shop for us and loved it as much as the first time, lovely crispy chips, great tasting fish and really good mushy peas. Fast service and all freshly cooked, always a queue here which says a lot about this place but don't worry as you are served really quickly. One of the best chippies I've ever been to and can't wait to go back again. The place is also lovely and clean and has a cafe too so you can sit in and eat, we had our dog with us so we just went back to the car park and devoured them there and then as we couldn't wait till we got home! Very highly recommended and you wont be disappointed. 7 King St Ulverston LA12 7DZ

1  Thank Julie R
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Everytime I come to Ulverston I always call at the Chippy Bank. Simply the best fish and chips in the furness area!

1  Thank Beer C
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The best chippy in the area! Amazingly crisp batte every time. Great service and the opportunity to sit in. If you haven't been you must!

2  Thank paleninteresting