“Highly Recomended”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Under Skiddaw
Scotland
“Highly Recomended”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We were lucky to get a room here last minute as we passed through. It was pricey but well worth it; beautifully done rooms; really excellent genuine service and a great breakfast.
My only tiny observation was that the breakfast portions were pretty small, for the overall cost.
The gardens are really beautiful and the setting is glorious.
The building and our room certainly either was either recently decorated or just the hotel is maintained to an extremely high standard as the décor and cleanliness, and the bathroom were all in tip top condition - immaculate.

2 Thank scot321

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My travel agent suggested Lyzzick Hall for my 2 night stay in Keswick on my cycling trip through the Lakes District. They couldn't have picked a better location. It is about a mile and a half north of Keswick so you are away from the crowds but close to everything the northern Lake District has to offer. My room was spacious and cozy for one but still would have been fine for two. I got terrific sleep after 2 tough days of cycling. The view from the grounds of the hotel is beautiful even on a cloudy day - a number of the famous fells surrounding Keswick can be seen. For cyclists, it is very close to Honister, Newlands, and Whinlatter Passes, and the C2C route is easily accessible. Breakfast was hearty although fairly standard for what I have encountered in England. Dinner though was astonishingly good - I ate there on both nights of my trip, and have to say that the service was very attentive but never intrusive, and the food was amazing and great value for the price. Highlights for me were the ham hock terrine, the roast rump of lakeland lamb, and the creme fraiche mousse. The meal on my first evening was probably the best meal I have had in my many trips to Europe. Definitely worth a visit!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank soonerfaninbhm
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Lyzzick Hall is one of my favourites! We went for a family meal for my grandparents diamond wedding anniversary, the good was beautiful, the staff couldn't do enough for you and the sun was shinning, just to top it off.

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. Room was lovely. Very comfy bed and lovely views from the window. Shower was very poweful and always warm enough.Towels were huge and very luxurious. Towels
were also provided for use in the swimming pool.
Pool was lovely, great after a day walking.
We had a meal in the hotel and the mushroom rissotto was superb, the best I have ever had.
Drinks in the hotel are very reasonable.
The staff are a credit to the owners. They are always happy, helpful and smiling. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank lubylu2
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Arrived for silver wedding celebration - had booked a 'superior' room, upon arrival told we had an upgrade to Robinson room ( because of a cancellation) - good sized bathroom but in our opinion an 'ordinary' bedroom ( the lovely view was over two slate rooves). Frustratingly the hot water supply took a while to come through - not what you would expect in top quaity hotel. Breakfast rushed and not appealing ( overcooked bacon, dry sausage and cold toast) On checkout not asked if we had enjoyed our stay - staff appeared disinterested. Would not recommend - it is overpriced.

Room Tip: Robinson room at the far end of a corridoor so no passing noise
3 Thank fox23164
Yorkshire Dales
Reviewed 15 September 2013

What a wonderful place which we found at short notice going to stay in Keswick to go to the Theatre by the Lake. Very friendly and welcoming staff on duty, who informed us that they had upgraded our room as they had received a cancellation. A very comfortable and good-sized room - the Derwent Room - with a huge kingsize bed. Lovely clean bathroom.
Dinner was fantastic - great food. Could not fault any of it! However the service was out of this world with a staff that had obviously been well trained to be attentive and notice what was happening to their diners. Only had two of the four courses on offer for the dinner, but that was plenty for us both.
After a great night's sleep we found that breakfast the next morning was of the same high standard both in terns of the quality of the food and the thoughtfulness of the service!
We didn't use the fitness facilities or the spa
Overall a wonderful gem of a hotel set in a stunning location and a super find! We shall return!

1 Thank Bob H
Houghton, Michigan
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My family and I stayed at Lyzzick in early Aug, based upon reviews from this web site. We were not disappointed! The room - the Garden Suite - was nice, having a private garden was wonderful, the bath was good, a bit of attention from the grounds staff with fallen twigs, leave, etc in the seating area would be nice... but.... the reason for the 5 stars is not the rooms, nor the pool/spa area - very nice and enjoyable, rather it is the staff, common areas, and food. Often hotels claim they have welcoming and helpful staff and comfortable common areas and then.... Lyzzick Hall does, once you walk in the doors the staff are there to solve all your problems, even those you never really had, and the common areas hit the ideal - in my opinion - of country hotels, lived in, yet utterly clean and maintained, these are places that obviously are there for one reason to make your stay comfortable, books, games, views, and staff members to do whatever, they are all there. Then the kicker, the food, others have discussd the breakfasts, I agree with those who say it is a civilized, generously portioned meal with any changes/addtions - I was with two 13 year old girls - are not just tolerated but are suggested, are fine. But breakfast is a minor issue, wait until dinner, just wait....oh it is good, the food is wonderful, the service is great, the management who wander about every night you can tell are there because they want to be there and want to make it better - how, I am not sure, but I wish them luck.

So, at the end of the day, this is one of those places that truly does not meet your expecations, it exceeds them. I see I did not mention the gardens, and terrces, opps, they are very nice too.

Go and enjoy, we will be back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Overwater Hall
Overwater Hall
#1 of 1 in Ireby
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Lyzzick Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!