“Location, location, location”
Review of Burnthwaite Farm

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wasdale Head
Burnthwaite Farm
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wasdale Head
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed here over a few days at the end of October. Slight drive getting there but the final leg just became more stunning by the minute. Perfect positioning for all manner of mountain and lake walking. Very cosy and warming living arrangements, wonderful 'home' to come back to after a day hiking especially with the welcoming communal area next to the coal fire. Excellent atmosphere, all staff and guests lovely couldn't have been happier with our stay, definitely plan to return.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katherine m

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I recently stayed at Burnthwaite Farm for four nights and my only complaint is that Andrew was unable to accommodate me for the whole week - but that wasn't his fault. A warm welcome, friendly people, a comfortable bed, an excellent breakfast and a cosy lounge to relax in after a day's walking in the rain (well, more than one day, actually, but it was October in the Lakes, after all!). What more can one ask of a B&B? I can't get over how Andrew achieves all this while also running his farm with all the hard work that involves. Not to mention a stunningly beautiful and supremely peaceful location which is a perfect point from which to start so many classic walks in the fells, without having to drive a car.

I cannot recommend Burnthwaite Farm warmly enough! Thank you Andrew and Georgina for making my first walking holiday in the Lake District in 25 years perfect, in spite of the weather. I hope I can return in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My friend and I stayed here in august as a base for climbing scafell pike, I'm so pleased we picked burnthwaite farm, what a stunning location, we could walk to the foot of scafell and climb it without having to get into the car, thy beds are really comfy and the views are picture postcard, we meet some lovely people and enjoyed a glass of wine or two in the cosy lounge. Would definitely vihit again! Thank you Andrew !!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed here for 7 nights in September, in order to walk those peaks in Wainwright’s Southern Fells and Western Fells which I hadn’t already covered. This must be one of the best centres for hillwalking in England, with Scafell, Scafell Pike, Great Gable, Kirk Fell, Pillar, etc all within easy walking distance from the front door.

Burnthwaite Farm must be the most remote B&B in England – it took me nearly half-an-hour to get here from the main A595 road along the Cumbrian coast. The Wasdale Head Inn is remote enough, but Burnthwaite Farm is another kilometre up the valley. This is a wonderful place for anyone who wants to get away from it all – no shops, no TV, no wireless, no mobile phone signal!

Andrew was a welcoming host and nothing was too much trouble. This was surprising since he runs a farm and was doing without help whilst I was there. The breakfasts and packed lunches are huge – I could never manage to eat everything. The bedrooms are basic but clean and the bathrooms and toilets are just across the corridor. The lounge is always warm and inviting, especially after a day out in the wet.

The room rates are exceptional value – I would have happily paid 50% more.

Room Tip: All the rooms looked fine!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Thank you Andrew for the excellent, affordable, accommodation, friendly atmosphere, clean rooms and great breakfast. From the very first contact we had with you we were offered friendly service and we knew this would be a great place to stay while hiking the Wainwright Memorial Walk.

Personally I thought the room rates were an extraordinary deal!

Our twin room (#6 I believe) was not ensuite but across from the 2 bathrooms and toilets. The beds are not right next to each other which was great; allowed two guys a big of privacy.

We especially loved the lounge area with that lovely coal fireplace. This was our 6th and 7th nights on our hiking trip and though we love going up for a couple each evening, being able to relax in a comfortable chair was great. The selection of DVD's was right up our alley (Billy Connelly, Ali G ...) and we enjoyed a night in having a few laughs. We would have loved it if you offered a nightly meal and would have taken advantage of this each night!

We also thought the breakfast set up worked well. No problem to share tables for us!

The packed lunches were large and very well priced.

Burnthwaite Farm should be your only choice when staying at Wasdale Head!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BuccaneerDave
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Stayed for 2 nights over the bank holiday weekend. It was everything that we needed. Very comfortable and friendly. Like most, we were there for hiking. The breakfast was lovely - they did the deal with large tables where everyone sits together. This can be socially uncomfortable but everyone has their hobby in common at least - so it just works. I would happy to stay here again

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Wasdale Farm for 2 nights and had a lovely time. It is a working sheep farm and is situated beneath Scafell Pike & Great Gable which are a breathtaking view to have out of your window each morning. The farmer is really friendly and happily answered all my questions about farming & let me stroke his working sheep dogs. It's really well priced for the area and the rooms are beautifully rustic, clean, comfy and quiet. The B&B is away from any other buildings so it feels remote whilst being only a short walk to the fantastic Wasdale Head Inn. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2013
#9 of 12 in Ambleside
Langdale Hotel
Langdale Hotel
#6 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to Burnthwaite Farm? Share your experiences!