“Whitehaven festival trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lowther House

Lowther House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitehaven
Lowther House
Ranked #12 of 14 Whitehaven B&B and Inns
Orpington, United Kingdom
“Whitehaven festival trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

Getting accommodation in whitehaven at festival time is near impossible but a friend from whitehaven booked us into the Lowther House for 3 nights over the weekend and what a great experience it was from when we first arrived our host Mr Trevor Lloyd greeted us with drinks and homemade cake, our rooms were large and gracefully decorated with a nice big bathroom, tv and wifi if you need it, Breakfast was fantastic with all locally sourced produce and plenty of it, our host Trevor was the highlight of our stay such a knowledegable man especially about his home county of Cumbria and the lakes and the funny stories he told made the best start to any day, we enjoyed it so much we have allready booked for next year. Harry & Pat.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

I have struggled to find good quality accommodation in Whitehaven without breaking the bank, and I think this is it (you know there is a problem with a place if the top-rated accommodation is a PremierInn. Nothing against PremierInn, because they do a good job, but private hotels and guest houses should be able to do better.

Anyway, back to the review! This is a large private house with large immaculately appointed rooms (clean, attractively decorated, comfortable bed, my room had a key). There is a large sitting room with fine view across the valley. There was a good WiFi service in all areas I visited. The breakfast consisted of high quality locally sourced ingredients. Trevor is charming and knowledgeable and will come and collect you from the train station if you call him in advance.

I can't fault this place. I paid paid £70 for a single in a double room, which appears to be the going rate in the area regardless of quality.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank WebbyABZ
wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

My Wife and I had a great one night stay here on Sat 18th August, the rooms are very very spacious and decorated with style, Trevor the owner is very knowledgeable about the area and happy to share his knowledge with guests.

I read a comment below about no key’s? all I can say is we had a key both for the main door and our bedroom door so all was good on that front, the breakfast is as you would hope both very good and plentiful using fresh local produce and yes it is served in the kitchen allowing you to chat if you like to Trevor the owner as he prepares it in my mind making it a pleasant and sociable start to the day.

It’s probably not the cheapest place to stay but if you’re looking for spacious ,clean and comfortable with a great host then this is defiantly worth a visit.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
N. Chatham, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I really enjoyed my stay here. The owner, Trevor, grew up in the area and I found him to be a terrific host. His personality, charm, and knowledge of Whitehaven and the surrounding area really enhanced my trip and I can honestly say I wouldn't have had as good a time if it weren't for him. I look forward to staying here again. The room was lovely and so was breakfast. No, there isn't a separate breakfast area for guests, but so what? It's a lovely home from 1860 and eating in the kitchen adds to the charm.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

I stayed at Lowther House for one night while on a mid-week business trip.

I found the rooms well appointed and the bathroom of a very high quality. The owner met me at the station and gave me a lift to my meeting in the morning - very helpful.

The breakfast was very good - round the kitchen table and with exceptional ingredients.

Other reviewers have mentioned the lack of bin, keys and tea making facilities. I would agree with the first point but with only three rooms keys are not necessary and as for tea making facilities, they are one of the more unpleasant aspect of British B&Bs.

• Stayed November 2011
Taunton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

My wife & I stayed at Lowther House on Saturday the 22nd August 2010. Prior to our arrival it had been arranged that the owner would collect us from the railway station and transport us, and our luggage, to the House. This was fortunate as the House is situated about half a mile from the station and the last half was up a steep main road. It should be mentioned that on our departure the reverse occurred.

Whilst the owner was most accommodating the House itself, whilst well-appointed does not warrant the price of £90.00. Our room, whilst of reasonable size, was adequate fell far short of what one would expect in a B&B – notably there was no waste bin for rubbish, neither was there a chair or, surprisingly, any tea making facilities. It should also be noted that there was no key either to lock one’s room or to enter the house should one be late – when this latter matter was raised the owner said that he would be up no matter what time one returned.

Breakfast was held in the kitchen and whilst one ate the owner either hovered around or went about his chores in the same room – mainly cooking breakfast and washing up – not the ideal venue for someone having breakfast.

Would we recommend it? To be honest “No”

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bukom
wright2607
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

My husband and I stayed at Lowther House for the Whitehaven festival, and the accommodation was lovely. We had a lovely breakfast, but I felt slightly perturbed having Trevor, the owner of the accommodation, hovering over us whilst we were eating. We were also asked to pay for the accommodation on the Saturday morning! My husband and I went sailing for the afternoon, and were told, that we couldn't get back into the premises until 4pm. We arrived home at 4.10, and waited outside in the rain until 4.50! You can't have a key to your room unless you ask, and you can't have a key to the front door at all. As Trevor said, he is always about. This wasn't the case on the Saturday afternoon. Had I known all this before I wouldn't have stayed at Lowther House. I feel it a lame excuse, that "people take the keys home with them". At the end of the day, it is Trevor's home, and as lovely as it is, it is not a bed and breakfast, or a boutique hotel. Would I stay there again? No we wouldn't, but only because we prefer to be able to please ourselves when we come and go. And feel secure with a key to our room.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wright2607
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitehaven
Premier Inn Whitehaven Hotel
#2 of 14 in Whitehaven
Chase Hotel
Chase Hotel
#5 of 14 in Whitehaven
Jasmine House Bed & Breakfast (Cumbria)

Been to Lowther House? Share your experiences!