“Just lovely”
Review of Lowther House

Lowther House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitehaven
Lowther House
Ranked #13 of 14 Whitehaven B&B and Inns
Thurso, United Kingdom
“Just lovely”
Reviewed 31 August 2010

My husband and some colleagues had previously stayed with Trevor at Lowther House and now it was my turn to experience Trevor's renowned hospitality. We arrived to be greeted by Trevor with tea and delicious home made cake. Our room was large and beautifully decorated, spotlessly clean with a gorgeous bathroom. Trevor obviously takes great pride in his house, and I can't really blame him. Even though it is in a row of houses on a steeply sloping street, you would never know it judging by the view from the rooms - it looks so private and secluded from the side and back.
I know other people have commented about the lack of locks on the bedroom doors but this didn't bother me. I did barricade it with my case though, since my husband has a tendency to sleep walk and I didn't want to wake up to find him wandering off down the street in his pants!
Breakfast was a treat and we could have eaten as much as we wanted. Trevor was an attentive host and we had a good chat with him. It somehow seems like visiting a friend when you are sitting in his kitchen being served breakfast - a lot more personal than a dining room.
I hope we manage another trip to Whitehaven so we can stay with Trevor again, he is just a lovely man!
Another reviewer commented on the parking - we managed to get parked directly opposite and had no problems, apart from dodging the traffic to cross the road!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Derbyshire
Reviewed 28 July 2010

This is the first time we have been to White Haven and it does need a face lift! but our accommadation was very good as was our host, he advised us on great places to visit (the lakes, good pubs etc.) and nice dining experiences, in all all he made my birthday/wedding anniversary special.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Lichfield
Reviewed 3 May 2010

A strange one really. This place could be wonderful but just needs some tweaking. Things that were a little odd were:

1. When I asked about parking the owner told me to park opposite, a sign clearly stated you needed a permit to park there but he said it would be ok as 'Whitehaven can't afford traffic wardens'. We didn't get a ticket but if you advertise parking then you should have a permit for guests.

2. No lock on our bedroom door and no key provided for the front door as the owner told us that he is there all the time so no need. I wasn't hugely comfortable with this either.

3. No shower in our bathroom. The owner said it was out of order so we had to crouch in the bath with a mixer tap. No offer to reduce our bill or move us to a different room, this place sells itself as boutique but I didn't feel that was on and also the bathroom was very dated and not boutique. To be fair the main room was very nice and did fit my idea of boutique.

Ok, that was the bad. The good things were that the owner is massively knowledgeable about the local area, the breakfast was very good and he used local produce and was very kind in offering to drive us to a local restaurant for dinner so that we could both drink.

I had really mixed feelings, the owner was obviously trying hard and seemed to be a very nice man but the place needs a bit of a rethink. I think perhaps some of the problem was style over substance, room looked nice but no tea/coffe facilities, no hairdryer etc meant we weren't overly impressed.

I truly hope that the owner amends these problems as this could be a very special B&B

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 24 September 2009

Lowther House in Whitehaven was a real joy to find. The place is not heavily promoted and to be honest I only chose it because the options for myself and three friends starting a cycling trip across country were limited.
How lucky we were to be left with this option. Trevor the owner takes hospitality to a new level. This venture is obviously a labour of love and his enthusuiasm shines through.
We were greeted with tea/ coffee and homemade cake before being shown to our splendid, spacious rooms.
Trevor had an immense knowledge of the town and its history and was keen to help one of our party with information about his family tree which had connections with the area. His recommendation for dinner proved to be a winner and upon our return we were treated to wine and cheese and biscuits (touches which went far beyond the usual).
Our breakfast was fantastic with award winning local produce. Our bikes were secure overnight and there really was nothing to fault.
The only problem was we had to cycle away after just one night. Would really have liked to stay longer. Have no hesitation in reccommending this place. I really wasn't expecting to find this quality in a small town. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends