“The Best”

Ranked #1 of 14 Whitehaven B&B and Inns
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“The Best”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

what a place to stay I have been working in w,haven town centre for 6months on the new development there but its time for the next job I have to say im sad to go I travel all over the country for work and stayed in loads of bed and breakfast over the years but never one like the mansion its home from home to say the least the rooms are biggish clean en-suite but the best things about it are they have a gym sauna and a swimming pool you also have use of the kitchen after work which saved me a lot of money as anywhere else iv stayed iv had to eat out which is about £10 a day for food then a pint are 2 3 4 I was spending a £100+ a week eating out at other places I stayed at met loads of decent lads there and a few ladies I cant fault this place I will be back this year with my family for a w.end away

Room Tip: excellent views of the mountains the sea beautiful place
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank darren k

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I stayed at the mansion with 10 mates we were doing the c2c on the Friday morning note we did it last year on the Thursday as we were told it was the better day to do why I don't no we got back at Tynemouth sunday afternoon sun was out so a few well deserved pints were in order the mansion was a excellent place to stay it was massive it was not like your normal pokey b&b it has a good size swimming pool and a sauna and a mini gym which at no extra cost we all used the pool and sauna it was the perfect start to are grulling day ahead it was clean and friendly also with excellent safe indoor storage for are bikes not like the place we stayed last year are bikes were stored outside in the rain great choice of breakfast and the views from here of the mountains and the sea are fantastic if we do it next year we will def be booking the mansion again thanks to tom&robert & staff.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank malcom r
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed here for 6 months , 3 nights per week while contracting in the area. Tom and Rob could not be more friendly and helpful. It is great for contractors as it is quite sociable, you have the use of the kitchen in the evening and can keep food in the guest fridges. Breakfast is very good, a lot of choice and beautifully cooked. The pool is a lovely bonus

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
8 Thank Michelle O
manchester
Reviewed 13 December 2013

The location of this place comes as a great shock, right in the middle of what appears to be a housing estate. No name on the building, thought i'd overlooked it at first. However, was given a warm welcome and shown to my room. At first glance, it seemed ok. Then I realised the TV didn't work(satellite box missing), the duvet was stained as was the carpet. I also checked the mattress which was not clean with hairs on the sheets. By now, I felt sick.
To be fair, after I complained, I was offered an alternative room which at first glance seemed better with cleaner facilities. However, on closer inspection, the carpet was again stained and the TV miniscule. The radiator was boiling hot and when I tried to close the valve, it hung loose.
To make a drink, you are told to use the kitchen. Then I saw the stove, the sink, tea towels, etc.
I was told the cleaners should have covered everything but that is no excuse. It is up to the owners to check everything is spotless. I'd sack all the housemaids!
I just upped and left. Never again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Steve R
Ian P, Owner at The Mansion Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 5 April 2016
Hi Steve, as new owners we are working through all the criticism in reviews for the previous owners. All of your points in your review have been dealt with, if ever you are back in the area we would love for you to come back and check out the changes. We have revamped some of the rooms and work is ongoing on the rest, TVs and mattresses are new and the cleanliness is as you would expect.

Regards

Ian
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We arrvied at 18:00. Went to wrong door as no signs at all. Pleasant owner answered and said he would open up the other door. Pleasant welcome and showed to our room.
Tom (owner) asked "Why we had come to Whitehaven?, as wasn't the usual place people travelled to unless they has a specific reason". Rang alarm bells then.
We were shown to our room. Tom asked what time we would like breakfast and was very helpful and accommodating with time etc.
All seemed good!!!
We shut the door and immediately did the usual look round the room.
Im sorry, I dont like to do this as I realise this is someones business and like I did, when looking for a place to stay, the reviews matter. All I can say is the people that have left reviews for here, must of stayed in a different room or a different place entirely.
It didnt seem like anyone else was staying here, so surely this wasnt their best room!!!
Basically we stayed there for 30 minutes and left the key in the door and drove 4 hours home instead of staying any longer here.
The carpet was grotty, looked like hadn't been hoovered and the dust etc under the cabinets was horrid.
We went to bathroom, bit tired, mirrors horrible, but did seem quite clean to be honest.
The bed had seen better days, springs unconfortable, bedspread had horrid stain on it Not all negative, sheets seemed quite clean. Perhaps its just me, but doesn't everywhere have bed and pillow protectors nowadays? Surely a basic hygiene requirement?
We sat perched on a small 1950s sofa not daring to look any further, the windowsill at the side still had cup marks and grot from the last occupants. I got up to turn TV over and the whole front of the large chest of draws fell off and hurt my foot. Behind this was a put me up bed. This cabinet had knobs missing, large wooden splinters and was shocking!!
We looked at each other and decided we couldnt stop here and left before we delved any further.
On leaving the room I noticed filthy tea/coffee making facilities on the landing windowsill they were absolutely filthy, photo does not do them justice.
Granted we didn't give the owners the opportunity to put anything right, but they must be blind to not see what is right in front of them!
I see that it looks like previous bad reviews have been removed, but I feel that I must stop people going here expecting to see a bathroom like the one pictured on here or even a bedroom like the one pictured on here. These are not a true representation or what we received.
We did not go to the pool etc, so can't comment on this, but if the room hygeine was anything to go by, its not a good reflection.
This is the first bad review I have left on trip advisor and I dont enjoy leaving this, but £60 a night for this is shocking. I can see past the tired furniture and fittings but dirt and dangerous items are not acceptable!!
Like I said we didnt give them the opportuntiy to put anything right and our £20 deposit was lost, but we just wanted our home conforts after only 30 minutes in here, our weekend had been ruined! Out of courtesy we sent a text to owner advising not upto our standards and advised them to fix cabinet before someone got injured.
They seemed nice and wish them well in their venture but people really do expect more than this, someone elses dirt is not at all appealing!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank RamblingRambler29
Hi, as new owners we are working through all the reviews for the previous owners and addressing all the criticisms. We have revamped about half of our rooms and the rest are being done one at a time. Cleanliness as you say is key and is now up to a standard you would expect for any hotel. Our pool and sauna are also now fully functional and free for guests to use. If you are ever in Whitehaven again we would love for you to come and check out the changes, why not have a look at some of the reviews since we took over September last year and on our Facebook page.

Regards

Ian
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

just arrived home after staying here with my husband and 2 kids.Very clean and tidy place staff couldnt do enoughfor us very helpful and freindly lovley breakfasts plenty to choose from there is a very good sized pool which we all loved we will definetly be going back :)

• Stayed August 2013
9 Thank ashstunkids
Sheffield
Reviewed 6 August 2013

If you're visiting Cumbria or the West Lakes, it's definitely worth staying at the Mansion. This is an ideal central location, in the pretty harbour town of Whitehaven. Close to St Bees for a day at the coast and great for getting in and around the Lake district, Carlisle and Northumbria. Tom and Rob always make you feel very welcome and there is a great relaxed atmosphere in the lovely clean hotel. Always enjoyed our stay here and have returned time and time again. Nothing too much trouble for any guest and the fantastic breakfasts have to be tried. Popular for walkers, cyclists and tourists and great for families with the pool.

Room Tip: All rooms offer a great view, but some on the top floors give views of the town and harbour (especia...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank Jeanette C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitehaven
Premier Inn Whitehaven Hotel
The Manor
#1 of 3 in St Bees
Hunday Manor Country House Hotel
The Corner House Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Mansion Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!