“Worth every penny could not ask for any better.”
Review of Craggs

Craggs
Ranked #9 of 33 Restaurants in Wigton
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Traditional English cooking
“Worth every penny could not ask for any better.”
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Been today for Sunday lunch absolutely beautiful, we booked and just as well every seat taken.
The service could not of been any better polite happy and helpful staff second to none, the food £16 for 3 course meal and great variety of starters main and puddings, every mouthful was well cooked and tasty. If you want value for money get a table booked.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Carlisle39

Runcorn
“Great food -average service”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Been in here a couple of times over the last 3 years whilst staying over the road at the Skiddaw View Holiday Park .
The food is fresh, wholesome and very well prepared /cooked.
I notice a few poor reviews in relation to the staff. When we went in around 4pm on a thursday afternoon, 3 of the staff were seated at a table nattering and ( I assume) enjoying a well earned coffee break. Nobody attempted to greet us /serve us, infact, we were ignored!! -Maybe the staff could do with some customer service training!!
However, the food we ordered was hot, tasty and very well presented!- just like the times we have been previously.
Definitely recommend the food ! -not so for the staff they employ!!!!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank RoystonBling
Cumbria
“Easter Sunday Lunch - Brilliant”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We called intot he Craggs after a friend recommended it for coffee and cake, unfortunately it was lunchtime and they were only serving lunch, most tables seemed to be booked, I asked if there was an available table. I was informed there was a table if I could wait two minutes until it was cleaned down and reset. Wedecided that we would lunch, the fixed price was £16.00, for three courses. There were six (6) starters, three (3) mains consisting of Beef, Turkey and Gammon, and twelve (12) sweets. The place was full and a gentleman I assumed to be one of the owners served us, he delightful and made us feel very welcome.

There was the minimum of delay between courses and more than enough for two good eaters, my turkey was melt in the mouth and my wife said the same about her beef, and she got two Yorkshire puddings, we only had melon for starters but it was a quarter of a melon, and for sweet we had a Toblerone Pavlova and a peach and raspberry pavlova they were to die for.

I went to pay the bill and was told it was £32.00 I said there must be tea and coffee to add on and was told that tea and coffee were inclusive. I was so impressed I have decided to take my whole family there for Fathers day on 16th June.

My understanding is that on normal days they have a more open menu, if that is as good as the fixed menu it will be very difficult to beat.

Service was excellent, all the waiters were polite and welcoming especially the gentleman I assumed to be an owner, It was a priveledge to visit and we will return many times.

The environment where the restaurant is located overlooks the Skiddaw mountains and many other local fells, the cafe appears to be a converted type barn and is very clean, open and extremely pleasant, cleanliness being its No 1 consideratiion. A fantastic luncg time, thanks Craggs.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Geoff-Audrey
Cumbria
“Deserves to be better known”
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Lovely big, clean room and facilities, with unusual outdoor seating and views over upland farmland. Coffee and cakes are excellent. It's on the route from Carlisle to Keswick (or a 400yrd detour if you're going to Cockermouth from Carlisle) and it's a shame it isn't better known. Children are welcomed and catered for.

Visited September 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Service Without a Smile!”
Reviewed 15 January 2013

As other reviews have stated, if you're not local don't expect any kind of welcome, let alone a warm one!

Today was our third & final visit to The Craggs. Never have I been served with such a lack of enthusiasm & courtesy; we really felt like we were inconveniencing the waitress with our custom. (Actually, that's not strictly true as this waitress had the same lack of enthusiasm & courtesy last time we visited, but we put it down to her 'just having a bad day') It was very noticable how her manner completely changed when two other groups of people, that she clearly knew walked in, & she suddenly became all smiles & chatty.

The food was average; watery, tasteless soup; greasy bacon/eggs - but nice chips. After finishing our meal we waited for approximately 20 mins for the waitress to return to clear our plates & to see if there was anything else we wanted. She made no effort to do so when she had some spare time & so we decided to forego the sweets, pay & leave.

This place has so much potential but if more people vote like me & my family, i.e.. with their feet, they could soon start to feel the effect.

**On our first visit we were served by a very young lady, who I suspect is the owners daughter. She was everything you could possibly want in a waitress; pleasant, polite & attentive..........maybe todays waitress should take a few lessons from her!

• Visited January 2013