“Just fantastic!”

Price range: US$8 - US$17
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: we are situated on the beautiful Solway coast, an area of outstanding natural beauty. we try to keep our supplies local when we can. haafnet fishing in the summer brings fresh Solway salmon, sea trout and sea bass. we have a wealth of local wildlife, a vast amount of sea birds. we are also on the roman wall walk. in 2013 we also started bed and breakfast accommodation. so come and try us.
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I've now been to the laddie several times as I holiday in the area, the food is excellent, massive portions, oh & the CHIPS!
The staff are really pleasant & as for Mark the owner he just couldn't do enough to spoil the customers!
On my first visit he took time to show me around the B&B, each visit he takes time to welcome you however last night on meeting my Dad for the first time, my Dad's birthday, Mark without knowing offered dad a drink on the house, showed him around & made us all very very welcome. The Laddie will be our regular when we visit from now on :)
Excellent value, service & atmosphere.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I dont want to turn this into a tit for tat kind of argument. But I'm ashamed that my sister-in-law (thebes196641) would put such a review.i cant understand where any of it came from apart from her own twisted self satisfaction. The other 6 of us thoroughly enjoyed our meal & couldn't fault the meal or service one bit. The food was hot & delicious. Plenty to eat to the point of bursting. The desserts are to die for. All was very reasonably priced. We have been back today & again thoroughly enjoyed our visit. The sticky toffee pudding is heaven in a bowl.

1  Thank dixiewesley
Reviewed 22 October 2013

A real gem of a pub set in a country village, yet only ten miles from Carlisle.
There were three very different ales on hand pump when we visited - Greene King IPA, Landlord and Jennings Bitter. All three were clean and fresh flavoured.
Had a meal there and resisted the specials in favour of the home made Lasagne. Really good and plenty of it, served up with house chips, salad and a superb coleslaw - also home made.
Looking forward to our next visit for more of the same!

2  Thank Rrr W
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Settled by the scenic Solway, this is a walkers, bikers and cyclists paradise this little gem of a pub has great character, and a warm inviting atmosphere. It is a nice friendly pub, clean and tidy. The food, conversation, staff and landlord are absolutely great a real home from home. My wife insists I book a meal at this pub every Friday as we travel over from Newcastle.
My daughter and partner have stayed at this accommodation and totally enjoyed the weekend, wowed by the massive breakfast .
The food is fresh local produce and in the summer months I enjoy the wild salmon, trout or sea bass caught from the Solway. If you wish you can join the landlord during fishing season and try your hand a HAFF NETTING, a local fishing style, that I have never seen in any part of the country. My only concern, by sharing this experience with you I am now going to have to share my weekend escape, proper chips (no frozen chips here) and our regular order of Gammon and Salmon.
Alan

1  Thank 76holiday11
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We are avid walkers and have stopped here previously for snacks and meals which have always been fabulous especially the fish caught locally, also portion size can be requested which is great for those watching the calories!!! Then this is spoilt by the fabulous desserts on offer you cannot resist it but then walk another 10miles it will burn off the sins!!!
We had already booked in to other accommodation nearby for the night so were delighted to find that The Highland Laddie is now a bed and breakfast so booked in for the following night. The bedrooms are decorated with very calming colours and co-ordinated beautifully but have kept a lot of the old fireplace and wood features giving them a oldie worldie feel to them, they are very comfortable and breakfast was fabulous owner and staff could not do enough for you.
I also liked not being rushed in the morning to vacate our room.
I thought that with not having an en-suite would be a negative but found this was not a problem did not bump into anyone else who had to wait for facilities but it has only a couple of double bedrooms at the moment. Mind the bath is very unusual in a wall (you have to see it to understand what I mean!) Was happy to hear that work is ongoing with a big room which could accommodate a family and an en-suite is being built into this room.
Intend to stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank Lynda R