“Lunch but nothing special.”

Melbreak Country House Hotel - Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Melbreak Country House Hotel - Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 59 Restaurants in Workington
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lake District,Cumbria
“Lunch but nothing special.”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We went for sunday lunch yesterday at the Melbreak.We had roast beef & 2 roast porks.The plates were either too big or the amount of food on each plate wasn't enough.The selection of vegetables arrived in a dish that was barely enough for 2 never mind 3 people.We also had to ask for extra gravy.Deserts were next.Sticky toffee puds x 2 & Hot chocolate fudge cake..no sorry I mean LUKE WARM chocolate fudge cake.2 decent portions of S.T.Pudding arrived with pouring cream & then after asking the waiteress where my desert was,a thin slither of cake arrived(obviously it looked like a portion of cake had been cut into 2 pieces and banged in the microwave for 30 seconds,so I got half...Not good.
Including drinks(2 soft & 1 glass of house wine)the bill was nearly £45...!!
Sorry Melbreak,we will not be returning. :(

• Visited April 2014

Workington, United Kingdom
“Good food, nice surroundings”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I see other reviews have really slated the Melbreak so I hope it isn't too much of a risk these days!
The times I've been were fine. The food was good and plentiful and the surroundings were clean and welcoming. I'm not sure they have the high-end presentation that justifies some of the prices but I haven't been disappointed by the food or service so far.
I've been for both meals and a funeral tea - the latter was very well managed and displayed and I'd recommend them for occasions where you need to cater for a large group of people.

Visited April 2013
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Attrocious!!!!! If you want food or drinks dont bother”
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Booked a table of 2 in advance. Got there and we had to go and look for anyone. Eventually found staff. Staff couldn't remember 2diet cokes 1 with lemon and had to ask what drinks were twice. Waited in the bar area and ended up helping the 1bar staff do her maths homework. Then being told by the mature woman (poss grandmother) that i didnt mind doing the homework as "it gives me something to do as i waited" height of rudeness!!! Then seated in a cold room with a noisey heater that did little to warm the room. No side plates, iced water or starter cutlery set out. Knife and fork also set wrong way round. Starter came looked lovely, tasted nice. Thats where it stopped being nice. No-one checked on us during eating our starter. Waited what seemed a long time for anyone and had to go Looking for staff to clear our plates away! Found them eventually at reception researching their homework with mature lady. Mains came (butterflied chicken that was meant to have option of chips or potatoes and peas or seasonal veg. Was just given grilled chicken (NOT butterflied- a basic skill) with chips and overcooked peas. Had to then say I wanted seasonal veg and reiterate what was specified on the menu. Veg (chunks of half cooked carrot and overdone red cabbage and sultanas which is not a combination you would put together- for good reason- awful. 2staff then walked in and out past thd room we ate in 4/5times anx didnt check ic everything ok. Which is unforgiveable as we were the only people in the building!!! Then out oc curiosity ordered pudding. Ordered crumble thinkinv it was fruit crumble as specified in the menu to bd told rhubarb and ginger. Fine I thought as I like that combination and my partnef sticky toffee pudding. Rhubarb and ginger was like wallpaper paste-no joke. Crumble was sprinkled on and not even cooked to make it crunchy. Sticky toffee pudding was dry. Overall, don't even try it if your hank marvin starving.

Billinge
“Cheap tasteless food”
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

Went here for a birthday meal with a large group of us. I think out of 20 of us only two people enjoyed what they ate )so if u like fajitas you'll be fine!!!

The steak was the most bland I've ever tasted (lacked seasoning) and the gammon was not only over priced (£15) for what can only be described as less than average but also very rubbery.

I understand that there was a lot to cater for but they had our order prior to us going.

I won't be back - EVER and will most definitely NOT recommend to anyone I like.

Staff- ok but couldn't cope with being busy!

Overall a very unsatisfactory visit.

Workington Cumbria
“Good Food and Staff”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Very good value for money food is very good and well presented Staff are very friendly and helpful will vist again

• Visited August 2013