“Fabulous but a little chilli”

Hunday Manor Country House Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 61 Restaurants in Workington
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Fabulous but a little chilli”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

As we entered the bar area today we asked if we had to book and was told yes. We took a seat until someone came to say it was ok to stay.
We ordered drinks and took a seat in the bar area until a table was ready. We we're give a menu for £17.50 for a 3 course meal, our order was taken before we went through to the restaurant. Our drinks were collected on a tray and we were shown to our table. It was lovely and clean but a little chilli. There are 2 fires in the bar area that weren't lit..........December????
I only wanted a main meal which they accommodated me with and charged me for, which I was happy with as I'm not a big eater.
The meal was one of the best I've had in Cumbria and we've been eating at a lot of new places as we are new to the area, and this is one of the best for service and quality.
There is a battery operated flicker candle in the centre of the table, now no matter what time of day it is, I like to see these working and so turned it on, small thing I know but I'm fussy.
I will be definitely be returning to the Hunday and would take anybody there to socialise with. The staff are friendly although I don't like seeing people using their mobiles whilst at work!
Pity it was a little on the chilly side, maybe I'll wear a jumper next time I go.
The food is top quality but disappointed no sprouts or choice of veg was offered at this time of year.

• Visited December 2013

Cockermouth, United Kingdom
“A meal out with former work collegues”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

A group about twenty-five had lunch together, the meal was excellent and well served. In particular the menu was not bog-standard Christmas fare, I had stuffed pheasant which was first class. I could go on but don't want to over egg the pudding. A small gripe! The restaurant thermostat could do with turning up ever so slightly

• Visited December 2013
Cumbria, England
“Afternoon tea”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Sorry put this review on the Hotel review, but all i said there still stands.
Barry, thankyou, you were a wonderful host.
Lovely selection of sweets and savories, and we even asked Huday for a few additions to the 'menu' and they were more than happy to oblige.
Very reasonable price at £12.50 p/p, less than half the price of the last afternoon tea i had at a local restaurant/hotel.
Cakes weren't ginormous cream affairs, more nice little bite size cakes, but delicious all the same, and more than enough with the savories.
Would definately recommend for a nice afternoon out, with a decent priced tea.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank KaneyCumbria_England
Egremont, England, United Kingdom
“Brilliant place for a wedding”
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

We went to a wedding there the staff and food were great excellent location for afternoon tea and evening meals the rooms were lovely.

• Visited November 2012
Paris
“Good food at fair prices”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We dined one night as in-house guests and the food was great and we felt fair value for money. The meals were well cooked and the menu and wine list both covered what we needed.

Visited August 2013