“Ideal place to stay”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Workington
Broxburn, United Kingdom
“Ideal place to stay”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed here for work reasons. It was recommended but after reading some of the reviews I was a bit unsure of what to expect.Everthing was excellent. Room was lovely with a welcoming glass of port awaiting which I thought was a very nice touch.
Interior of the hotel very nice, comfortable seating area in the bar/lounge and a lovely restaurant.The menu was extensive and the food excellent.My colleague suffers from celiac disease. Having advised them of this prior to arrival we arrived to find they had specially baked rolls for her.Very nice touch.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
kawildwchotel, General Manager at Washington Central Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate your positive comments particularly those little extras that made your stay a very pleasent experience. We strive very hard to offer genuine hospitality, which in turn we hope our guests appreciate. We look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Worst stay EVER………….

The Washington Hotel also has an adjacent hotel (The Sleepwell) and I decided to book a room there as I had a social event to attend in Workington.

I can only say it was the WORST stay EVER………..
The Sleepwell has no reception and is not ‘manned’ or ‘checked’ on during the night. When I stayed, there was a major disturbance inside the hotel but there was no staff member to intervene.

It was terrifying!!

As I only managed about 1 hour sleep, I complained the morning after at the Washington Hotel where I was faced with indifference – told it would be investigated.
On chasing an answer, apology or at least some interest in my complaint.

I was told ‘I don’t know what you want me to say’

Customer service???????????????????????????

I would hate to think anyone else would be subjected to this…………

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
kawildwchotel, Duty Manager. at Washington Central Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Firstly may I apologise form my late response on your comments, and for the fact that you had a very disturbed nights sleep on your recent visit to Workington. During the past few weeks I have been conducting an investigation into your observations. In order to complete this in a thorough manner, I needed to speak to all residential guests of the Sleepwell Inn on 11/04/14 . Recently a number of the same guests have again been staying at the Sleepwell Inn. So during their most recent stay I had the opportunity to speak to these guests personally. All the guests I spoke to, although commenting on noise heard from some revellers in a nearby dwelling, none of them heard any disturbance from inside the Sleepwell Inn. Also our night manager who periodically inspected inside the Sleepwell Inn throughout the early hours did not come accross any disturbances inside the premesis.
He did however report to me that there was noise disturbance from the property immediately behind the Sleepwell Inn, which he confirms could be heard inside the Sleepwell. To which he acted upon and spoke to the revellers, to consider other guests trying to sleep nearby.
We thank you for taking the time make your comments, which we do take very seriously. It is regrettable that on this occasion you did not have a pleasent stay with us, for which again I apologise. However should you have occasion to stay in Workington in the foreseeable future, please contact myself personally or the hotel Manager Mr Keith Wild. Then we can hopefully ensure that you have a very enjoyable stay on our behalf. Kindest Regards, Andrew Carruthers, senior duty manager.
Chalabre, France
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We have stayed here a number of times during the winter. Great location for shopping and lively nightlife at the weekend and just a few minutes drive from the western Lake District. The new rooms are beautifully done with lots of lovely touches, and the bed was enormous and comfy. Excellent food and service in the lounge bar and the restaurant. I especially like the lounge bar, squishy sofas, nice red wines, and a piano player at the weekends. We have stayed here for both leisure and business, the WiFi is great throughout the hotel. Breakfast is everything you could want, the omelette is about the best I've had. Lastly, the pool is lovely, and if you time it right, you can have it to yourself. Won't be long until we return I hope.

Room Tip: 5th floor has far reaching views across the Solway, the new rooms are quite luxurious, all are beaut...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 989CarolynC
kawildwchotel, Customer satisfaction department at Washington Central Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Washington Central Hotel and that you appreciated the extra comfort provided in our new deluxe bedrooms. We would like to thank you for the lovely comments on our food and service and we hope to see you here again in the future.
eltel
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Hi,
Had a great weekend (21-23 February 2014) at the Hotel and out and about around the area.
The Hotel Staff were very pleasant and the facilities are great and the room we had (22) was ok not much of a view but you are in the Town centre after all. The breakfast was excellent with a good choice and a good plateful for the full English or you could have porridge if you so desired.
We went across the road into the British Legion Club and the beer was cheap and tasty and the clientele were very friendly and welcomed us warmly.
Went out to Cockermouth and round and about and into Whitehaven before the weather drove us back to seek refuge and a few more pints.
We had an evening meal on the Saturday in the Hotel and it was very good indeed and the guy in charge of the Restaurant "slotted" us in onto a reserved table as we had not pre-booked and we had finished long before the people came to take up their table
All in all we had a great weekend and will certainly come back for more and definitely use the Hotel again.
Jean and Terry Burnley

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
kawildwchotel, Restaurant manager at Washington Central Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
We are very pleased to hear that you had such a positive stay with us, and would like to thank you for sharing this. We were happy to fit you into our restaurant and we are glad you thoroughly enjoyed your meal along with the service provided and the rest of the facilities we offer. We hope to see the both of you back in the Washington Central Hotel sometime again.
Grimsby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I stayed here last night as I was working in the ports of Workington and Silloth. I arrived at the hotel at around 22:30 after a long trip. I was welcomed by reception who asked if I had something to eat. The restaurant was closed at that time, however they were more than willing to try and accommodate me, if I had required it. I went to my room (room 24) and it was lovely, very cosy, clean and well decorated. I particularly liked the glass of port which was given with compliments of the hotel staff.. a nice touch for a night cap before bed! The room was faultless, it had free wifi also. Breakfast was brill, very attentive staff and a good choice for breakfast.

Unfortunately I did not get chance to use the pool and spa facilities, they looked fantastic though. Would certainly stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
kawildwchotel, Customer satisfaction department at Washington Central Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff, room and breakfast to be of a high standard. We hope to see you again some time in the future and again thank you for the positive comments.
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I recently went to The Washington on a party night for a xmas celebration, what a total waste of money!! Honestly the soup for the starter was the highlight of the evening. No choice in the meal except for desert, Turkey dinner with dishes of vegetables in the middle to help yourself, tasteless turkey, soggy veg... it was all just a total let down. I would of enjoyed a McDonalds meal more and would of at least got my moneys worth!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank l t
Allonby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I haven't actually stayed at this hotel but last night went there with my work colleagues to have the work Christmas party. Hmmmmmm
Firstly the hotel itself is quite posh bearing in mind its in Workington.
The evening was billed as : A 3 course meal with entertainment, a live band then disco till 1.
The function room was nicely decorated and the tables were set out quite nicely with all the usual Christmas stuff.
It was a set menu of 3 courses and the waiters and waitresses did a great job and were polite and friendly. The food was lovely, tasty and plenty of it.

Now for the disappointing bits.....

Given the fact we paid a discounted price of £28 pp (£32 pp normally )and there was at least 150 ppl in there, It doesn't seem too much to ask to be given a complimentary bottle of wine or two per table....

The bar was expensive.

The entertainment consisted of 1 question! Which was about the longest serving member of staff and how long he had worked there???? ! Followed by a' stay standing up if you get the question right' thing that lasted 2 minutes?

Now onto the live band...... Kev & Brian...WHAT???? since when has two old men singing, one with a set of bongos, ever been a live band ??? After the first couple of songs our table were sat waiting for the punch line , thinking they were a comedy duo..but NO they actually were serious! Sure, there was a mix of all ages, obviously because it was full of work colleagues... but REALLY ?? Some of the songs I had never even heard of! If I had been at Gala bingo for the night and this pair came on for a 5 minutes set then fair enough... but a Christmas party that people had actually paid for?? Not suitable at all...
They were completely lacking in any charisma or spark or anything to the degree that the comment was passed that' if all the drunk people here in this room took a turn at singing kareoke it would be more entertaining than this pair!' Two of our guests left the evening in their first set, whilst the die hard members of our team tried to stick it out till the end.
Finally the disco started which whilst it was like being at someones cheesy wedding, was much better than the duo. Alas..it wasn't to be and Kev & Bri came back to do more.....during which time about half of the remaining people in the room left. You would think that Kev having asked, several times 'do you want just one more song ?' and getting no reply that they would take the hint and leave ..but no. We did manage to stick it out till the bitter end but never have I been out to party, had so much to drink, and come home sober.! Just goes to show that crap entertainment really does have a bad effect on a party. As I looked around the room people were just sat there with bored expressions.
Sort it out Washington Central.

Room Tip: To the people responsible for entertainment.....Get a proper band / entertainment.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
kawildwchotel, Manager at Washington Central Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel and the services we offer. We welcome all comments whether they are of a positive or negative nature.
Your appreciation of the food quality and service is welcomed as the party that evening was for 220 guests, and we did receive many similar compliments.
We sourced non local entertainment, after customer comments in previous years. And in general this act was very well received, however we concede that entertainment tastes, are very personal and can be very subjective. We are however presently checking availability for a wider and more diverse entertainments programme to support our Christmas 2014 events.
We are sorry you did not fully enjoy your party, but would hope you have a look at this years programme and maybe reconsider joining us this year.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Workington
The Pheasant Inn
#5 of 9 in Workington
The Sleepwell Inn
The Sleepwell Inn
#8 of 9 in Workington

Been to Washington Central Hotel? Share your experiences!