“BEST FOOD IN WORKINGTON”

The Old Ginn House Inn
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Workington
cumbria
“BEST FOOD IN WORKINGTON”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Don,t usually write reviews of my local eating establishments but felt I had to after our recent visit....Called in for a meal with my family a couple of Saturdays ago and loved it.....from us walking into the bar to us being seated everything was superb.....The guy behind the bar looked after us and joked with the kids which to us is a major bonus...we have been in so many pubs for food (yes I no that sounds bad) with the kids over the years and felt they weren't,t welcome.....We sat in the beautiful bar and I had A lovely pint of real ale (Bluebird I think) The food was superb and very reasonably priced.....real chips which is always a bonus.....after we had finished our meal we went into the lounge for a drink which was also beautiful, a real home from home....I believe they also have accommodation which looks lovely as there was pictures of the newly refurbished bedrooms in the lounge......
To some it up I really can,t fault the Old Ginn House from the friendliness of the staff to the quality of the food......you,ll be hard pushed to find anywhere better for food and accommodation in the area.....thanks for looking after us....we,ll be back xx

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank superdavecumbria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Wife daughter and two grandchildren stayed here for one night, this is their review.

Made very wel come on arrival, all staff very friendly.
Evening meal was first class, and a varied childrens menu available.
A very clean tidy family room two single and one double bed, all very comfortable. Had the largest bath I had ever seen, plenty of towels.
Very good supply of tea coffee milk and buiscuits for all the family.
Drinks prices very reasonable.
Breakfast was first class, pleanty of choice well cooked and very well presented.
It was a shame we were only there for one night.
Staying in this area I would certainly recommend The Old Ginn House Inn.

Room Tip: Family room great value
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank 167Dave8
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Have stayed here on business a few times over the last two years. Consistent good service and excellent value 'pub grub'. Clean comfortable rooms, staff friendly and helpful. Outshines other hotels in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Mondriaan
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We have just got back from a lovely stay at the Old Ginn House. From when we arrived to the moment we left we felt well looked after. The staff were all very friendly and showed us many different things to do in the Lake District, which was only a short drive away. We took our children to Muncaster Castle after a suggestion by one of the girls on reception and had a lovely day out!  The family room had plenty of space for a family of 5 something we have struggled to find at other hotels. We booked a weekend break and even got the Sunday night half price which was excellent since the room was already very reasonably priced! The food was really nice in the restaurant and the portions big enough to fill us up after a day out in the fresh air!! The breakfast was also very nice with a large selection of hot and cold food! We will definitely be staying again in the future.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank alexh1964
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

Went for a meal at lunchtime and on arrival the girl behind the bar was friendly enough and sorted our drinks out and told us to take a seat. We had choice of the full restaurant as we were the only people in there which i found worrying. The menu was ok plenty of choice so i got the steak and my partner got the cumberland sausage. They came and it was very average pub grub. The chips were dried out and most of them were batter and i couldve eaten mine again as the plate size was very small. A small steak with a side salad and two onion rings and four half cut mushrooms. There was cob webs on the ceiling hanging from the wood and a very annoying fly kept buzzing around my head whilst i ate. I wouldnt rush back.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Apples1983
Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This was a reasonable place to stay and the breakfast was very good with just enough to eat. We stayed there as we thought it would be near the Maryport Blues Festival - unfortunately it was approximately 9 miles away from the venue and was just too far. We took our laptop with us and unfortunately after contacting the Reception and being given a "code number" for the server for the internet it didn't work - then when settling our account at the end of our stay, we were told we should have been given a "dongle" so that we could access this???? I thought the quality of the room was ok but could do with some updating. The jacuzzi was great although the filter had a number of black hairs from the previous user after emptying and not quiet enough toilet paper was available! I thought £130 per night was a little excessive due to decor, noisey people leaving the bar after drinking in the hotel and also the delivery vehicles on the Saturday and Sunday morning.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Stevenage
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

2nd time that I have stayed here and I can honestly say that the service is what you want, the old barn conversion has been done to a very good standard nice a clean, and the rooms are a nice size as well. The staff are friendly and helpful.
The restaurant does nice food also. So all in all I had a good night sleep with good food in my belly, I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed July 2013
OGH o, Manager at The Old Ginn House Inn, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit.
So pleased that you enjoyed your first stay and came back – look forward to seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Workington
Melbreak Country House Hotel
Waverley Hotel
Waverley Hotel
#6 of 9 in Workington
Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel

Been to The Old Ginn House Inn? Share your experiences!