“Coach trip to Lake District”

The Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Workington
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Our Retired Employee Association spent 4 nights at this hotel from22nd Oct 2012. We found the hotel to be clean, warm and well run by Ann, the owner and chef. We enjoyed good, home cooked food with three choices for each of the three courses at dinner. The cooked breakfast was also well received and the porridge was rated delicious - not bad from a group of scots! We were entertained each night by John and really enjoyed his music and "patter" OK the outside of the building is in need of a coat of paint and the internal decor is a bit chintzy and not to everyone's taste but the things that really matter were good and great value for money. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to any group wishing a good value for money holiday.
Tommy J

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 October 2012

I spend one or two nights a week in hotels for work and this was without doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.
The lady booking me in the hotel on arrival was so rude and obnoxious that I asked to speak to the manager to complain, and the reply I got was "I am the owner"!!
The hotel is full of chintz, devoid of character and the sheer hostility of the land lady means if the was the last hotel in the world I would be sleeping in the street.
In fact I would rather stick pins in my eyes than even look at the place again.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank John F
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Stayed at this hotel from 8th- 10th June on a coach trip to the beautiful lakes, who needs to go abroad. A very warm welcome awaited us after a long journey, good food, friendly and helpful staff, food excellent, hot shower, clean beds, and entertainment on the Saturday night what more could you want, would certainly visit again.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Margaret B
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Stayed at is hotel over the weekend of the 8th till 10th June very pleasent stay on a coach trip to the lakes i thought it was all ok food was very good staff friendly bar ok room small but clean and tidy i would certainly go again
The hotel had entertainment on the Saturday evening which was very good lots of people dancing the hotel left notes on you table as to the weather and the entertainment which i thought was a nice touch a nice family hotel very good value for money
I really don't understand comments from rb1kenobi about the hotel and the problem getting from the train station to the hotel as it is a 5min walk if that i'm sure a taxi company would not have wanted to do the trip as it would not be worth it for them by the time you had put the cases in you could have walked it if you didn't know where it was you could have asked what do you what the Ritz some people want a 5star hotel and pay budget prices

Room Tip: stayed on the first floor the floor where a bit creaky but it an old hotel no real problem
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank sammyemo
Reviewed 11 June 2012

the hotel is clean the staff very frendly and polite rooms exellent food top rate and the entertainment was first rate would return again

Room Tip: from other guest remarks all rooms very good
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank wrighty978
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I arrived in Workington quite late in the afternoon and there were no taxis at the train station to take me to the hotel I had booked so I walked to the nearest occupied building which happened to be this dump of a hotel. From the outside it looks closed down but unfortunately it is not. I entered and asked if they could call a taxi for me (they did not know at this stage that I was not a resident at their hotel). The girl who "helped" was extremely unsure of what she should say or do and merely handed me a scrap of paper witha number on it, pointing to the payphone behind me. I didn't have any change to use the payphone and my mobile phone battery was dead so I had to ask if she could call the number for me. She had to disappear to ask the manager which took over 5 minutes! (To international visitors, most local calls, especially short ones of this nature are normally free or at least less than 10p - ie as good as free). In the end I persuaded her to make the call for me but her manner was very rude throughout. Furthermore, I noticed signs by the tea and coffee machine threatening visitors not to steal the coffee for their room because they were on CCTV which was pointed right at the machine and they would be fined if they took a coffee without paying for it.

To call this place Fawlty Towers is unfair on Fawlty Towers. This place is a dump. Avoid!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank rb1kenobi
poppy112, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2012

As one of the uk's largest Coach Tours coaches were staying in the Hotel and the large coach parked on the carpark the Hotel looked far from closed down as you state in your review.
We have situated in the reception a payphone for public use, the girl who 'helped' is infact our Head Waitress who was busy tending to the needs of our paying guest in the very busy restaurant and is not here to make FREE PHONE CALLS for someone who had walked past 2 yes 2 public telephone boxes outside the train station.
The Cumberland Hotel has recently been awarded the DAVID URQUHART TRAVEL Premier Collection dated Friday 10th February 2012 to certify that our hotel was chosen from 250 hotels visited by customers of DAVID URQUHART TRAVEL during 2011, to have consistently shown the highest standards of welcome, friendliness, excellence of service, decor and facilities.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed 4 nights on a coach tour. Great hosts. Fantastic food. Building needs some attention but ok for price.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Richard C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Workington
Waverley Hotel
Hunday Manor Country House Hotel
The Old Ginn House Inn
The Old Ginn House Inn
#5 of 9 in Workington

Been to The Cumberland Hotel? Share your experiences!