“Let down”

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Workington
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
“Let down”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

This hotel caters for older people and the decor and menu reflect this. We went with "Diamond Holidays" and the package was designed to visit the Lake District (3 hour round tip away).
The staff are mostly local with some girls only teenagers who were learning the job.
I don't think it is fair to criticise individual staff but suffice to say you more or less get what you are given for breakfast without deviation and any requests other than normal will not be acted upon without a huff and a puff.
I expect that for older people without the means to express their wishes this was ok. The bar opens and closes when staff arrive and closes more or less at 11 pm so the elderly can get an "early bed".
You get what you pay for I guess.
The area is run down and is situated near the railway station but everyone arrives by coach! The town is about 20 minutes up the road with a decent couple of pubs which I would recommend.
Not a hotel I will be visitting again I am afraid.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nellyg077

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
scotlland
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My overall impression of this hotel is one of staff trying hard but not having a great deal of management encouragement.
The food is plain and wholesome but not presented as well as it could be.
The location is great if you are a rail traveller(the station is across the road) otherwise the location has little to offer.

Room Tip: I'me sure there must be some good rooms, but in this hotel they are hard to find.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank scotland848

Travellers are raving about these Workington hotels

Reviewed 27 November 2012

Worst hotel I have EVER stayed in. The rooms were cold,mouldy bathroom. You don't need a tardis to go back in time just stay here. Miserable waitress and expensive food.I would really wouldn't want to go near that place again. Let alone stay there!

• Stayed November 2012
12 Thank Reviewer1234456
airdrie
Reviewed 19 November 2012

just spent a great three nights at this hotel and found owners and staff very friendly and helpful The food was very good and well presented the rooms were comfortrable and very clean. we also had entertainment that appealed to all our group. thanks to you all

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank janet d
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I live locally and recently visited this hotel (not for the first time) for a "funeral tea". Believe all those reviews that mention a shabby exterior, chintzy decoration to the point of being nauseous, and very rude owners especially the husband. There is a response from the hotel saying that it won a David Urquhart Travel award. All I can say is that I dread to think what the hotels that don't win awards must be like. It is true about the cat prowling around freely. It makes you wonder if Environmental Health know about this. I didn't see the dogs but I have heard about them. A couple of years or so ago the hotel had a fire deliberately started by a resident placed there by DHSS. Need I say more? I cannot comment on rooms, breakfasts, dinners etc and to be fair I have heard that if you just like plain cooking the meals are not at all bad.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Robtraveller
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Our Retired Employee Association spent 4 nights at this hotel from22nd Oct 2012. We found the hotel to be clean, warm and well run by Ann, the owner and chef. We enjoyed good, home cooked food with three choices for each of the three courses at dinner. The cooked breakfast was also well received and the porridge was rated delicious - not bad from a group of scots! We were entertained each night by John and really enjoyed his music and "patter" OK the outside of the building is in need of a coat of paint and the internal decor is a bit chintzy and not to everyone's taste but the things that really matter were good and great value for money. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to any group wishing a good value for money holiday.
Tommy J

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I spend one or two nights a week in hotels for work and this was without doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.
The lady booking me in the hotel on arrival was so rude and obnoxious that I asked to speak to the manager to complain, and the reply I got was "I am the owner"!!
The hotel is full of chintz, devoid of character and the sheer hostility of the land lady means if the was the last hotel in the world I would be sleeping in the street.
In fact I would rather stick pins in my eyes than even look at the place again.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business