“The worst hotel I have ever stayed in / very rude and abusive owner”

The Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Workington
St. Asaph, United Kingdom
“The worst hotel I have ever stayed in / very rude and abusive owner”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We regularly use hotels all over the country as being a removal company we travel all over the country.
We had a removal booked in whitehaven so I needed to book my three young men into a hotel overnight . I found this hotel through late rooms . The cost of one night was nearly £100 , more than we would usually spend but I hoped for that money it would be a nice hotel for them.
Two of my men arrived about tea time , the third of my drivers had come from another job in Warwick .
He had been travelling for 6 hours.
One of my young men was waiting in reception for him to arrive , unfortunately he had been held up in traffic on the m6 .
At 11.45 he was told to get out of the reception and go to his room , the alarm was being set and he was not allowed to be downstairs . If he came down stairs they would all been thrown out of the hotel.
I contacted the hotel and asked to speak to the manager to explain the situation . How this man can run a business I don't know , I have never spoke to such a rude man in all my life . I don't even want to repeat some of the language he used , but basically he was not prepared to let anyone else into the hotel
I have a poor young man who has been working all day and driving since 6.00 pm who now has nowhere to sleep tonight.
The hotel is also very dirty and grubby , the bed linen is soiled , very dated ...
I only wish that I had taken the time to read the trip advisor before I booked .
I feel terrible that I have subjected my men who work extremely hard to this awful hotel

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Julie F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2013

after our coach driver who liked to show you the back end of every thing we finally got to this HOOTELL ,it looked like something out of my great grannys old lounge room in the 50's ,photos all round the place of the owners family,we had to drag all of our suitecases up the stairs,the lift could only fit one person in it and it felt like a coffin , at tea time the bar did not open till half a hour before tea, as no one was there during the day to open the bar,,at tea time we all lined up like school to get in dinning room tables were to closed together, what you ordered the night before hand they run out off ,no tea or coffee was served with the meal,if you wanted tea ,coffee it was either in front lobby charged at 1.00pound for small cup 1.50 pound for large cup or go to youre room and make it youre self.even in the most basic hotel you get coffee tea with youre meal not hear we got water , this was terrible, at breakfast my husband ordered porridge they run out . my husband has terimal cancer he has trouble eating a lot of foods , so that is why we ordered the porridge and we asked if some more could be cooked their answer was( that it took to long as it was not instant ) what a disgrace ,my hubby did not get brekie , we went to tescios supermarket across from the hotel and bought yought cheese and other things my husband could eat ,also the state of the hotel,in our room we could not get the tv to work for 2 days,
Most important when you went to have a shower the hot water tap fell off in your hand and you had to bash it back on the wall also you had to do this with the hot water tap in the bath ,when we told lady at reception ,she said she knew just give it a bash ,, why put people in the room ,if my husband was not their when I was having that bath as I could not get the hot water to stop I would have been scalding . what if their was a child in the bath or an old lady ,,when we got back after being out all day in the coach the grandson of the owner would hand our keys out to us will answering the hotels phone and taking enquires at the front desk , he would have opened the bar if he was older. they were sighs saying you could not take any food or drink in youre room ,if the owner was not feeding us proper meals ,im taking food in my paid for room , this is the worst hotel ,worst service . yours r pebbles Sydney Australia

Room Tip: run if you see it faulty towers with old female basil
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rita S

Travellers are raving about these Workington hotels

Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

After an horrendous thirteen hour journey with Diamond holidays we didn't think things could get worse but, they did!. The access to the hotel was very difficult having to drag suitcases up and down steps just to get to reception, the lift wasn't much use as it would only take one person and luggage at a time. The one wall the room that we had (123) was covered in large patches of damp and mould. In the bathroom the shower curtain and bath mat were also covered in mould. Tried to get some air into the room but window was painted shut.Complained to owner but she said no other room was available. On the whole food was quite good. We wouldn't recommend this hotel or Diamond holidays to anyone. After our three nights we were glad to be leaving but were unprepared for a fourteen hour journey home which. allowing for breaks should only take 7/8 hours.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
59 Thank Jo C
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Spent three nights here on a tour with Diamond holidays.
Very bad access to the reception, 4 steps up then 5 steps down just to get to reception. 45 of us arrived together. The lift is tiny and would only hold one person with luggage. Most of us struggled up the fairly narrow staircase (4 flights) with our luggage. The staircase has various chairs/tables/flowers on the small landings making it a hazard to navigate.

The whole place has unnecessary items of twee chintz and flowers everywhere making it cluttered and very old fashioned.

Our room was OK though the bathroom needed updating, I can only say it was functional. The temperature gauge on shower didn't work.
Two of the rooms in our group had MOULD growing on the walls. The manageress wasn't able to offer another room. She complained that she couldn't get people in to do the work that was needed.

The food was good as long as you didn't want to deviate from the set menu.

If you had babies and pushchairs or were disabled in any way, you should not entertain using this hotel.
This hotel wants bringing into this this century or even into the latter half of the last one.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
17 Thank BettyWorcestershire
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

Firstly I didn't stay here as I'm local,
Several Steps up to get into the building? Disabled access? People with prams n buggys?
Certainly not big enough for the wedding party & that was with quite a few people not turning up still over crowded, NO BABY CHANGE FACILITY'S, WHY ?
Staff not that knowledgeable tbh
Pleasant though.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank Chipstar13
Motherwell, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2013

My husband and I had an excellent 4 night stay at the Cumberland Hotel with David Urquhart travel. We enjoyed everything about the hotel but, in particular, the food was first class. We would also like to thank the owners for giving us a fabulous welcome and fantastic service. We would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nancy T
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2013

This hotel needs bringing into the 21st century, the room my mother and I stayed in was cold even with the radiator on full.The bathroom was not fitted with grab handles in suitable places and the water in the shower on the 1st night was scalding hot,it was a little better next day.The one good point was they have a good laundry!, even though they ask you not to waste water they changed our towels when we did not ask them to. Do not bother complaining to them as they are not interested! If you are under 60 do not even think of going here unless you have a passion for roses everywhere.

Room Tip: Do not have room 121.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family