“Helpful staff. Mobility unfriendly.”

The Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Workington
UK
“Helpful staff. Mobility unfriendly.”
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

Room was fine except for the leak in the bathroom ceiling. Tea/coffee facilities and tv. Bar/ lounge is full of furniture which made it quite hazardous for someone like myself who has a visual impairment. Definitely not recommended for people with mobility problems due to the number of steps.
Staff were friendly and helpful. I had some sympathy with the lady serving breakfast as she seemed to be alone despite there being a coach party staying. She also had to cover reception.
Handy for the train station which is just across the road.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Broxburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We visited this hotel with a coach tour and stayed for 4 nights and were to visit the Lake District.
Steps up into hotel, then steps down to reception. As reported by others lift only took 1 person with one suitcase if you were lucky. Our double bedded room had a 4 poster, but that is where the excitement ended. Carpet had black spots all over it and it was gritty to walk on. Hair Dryer on switch had to be held down while it was in use, which is no good. Shower was good size but shower door panel came off in my hand as it was not fitted into grooves properly, then the shower head was not stay in the fitting nor wood the shower head stay up on its own it kept sliding down riser. Food was very good, but limited choice, however, to be fair it was enough and there was plenty of it, in fact too much, there was a lot of waste, even when people asked for small portions. Staff mostly friendly although one particular female gave a grunt when you asked for anything. Tea and toast on table before you got in for breakfast, hence it was cold and had to ask for fresh. Lift broke down one day so stairs had to be negotiated, which was a nightmare for me with arthritis pretty bad in knees. Asked reception about shower etc and although was promised it would be attended to it never was while we were there. Also no grab rail in shower. As someone else mentioned this hotel does not really cater for disabled people.

Room Tip: Not possible to recommend any rooms. Our rooms faced side but got noise from traffic, which did not...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Agnes65

Travellers are raving about these Workington hotels

Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

it was a last minute idea to go to the lakes on our motorcycles for the weekend, and in august was nearly impossible to find anywhere to stay for 6 bikers, ( 4 guys ladies) but Steve booked us in at the Cumberland hotel for £35 per night each,with a locked compound for the bikes it was looking good.
we had read the reports on trip advisor !!, and were pleasantly surprised when we turned up, yes I admit a lot of what is put on here is correct, it is very dated decor, yes it does need a coat of paint to the outside of this massive building, but these things don't matter to me, I want a comfy bed, a good clean room, and a working shower, telly and tea and coffee are a bonus.
I nearly got them all !!,the shower was great, we had a small flat screen telly, we had some instant tea and coffee, and when I asked for more some more milk I was given a jug of fresh cold milk, the room was warm and dry, and the bathroom was massive !,but my bed was awful, the mattress was very lumpy and sloped, I could feel the springs, and didn't sleep very well at all, but the bedding was spotless and smelt clean, I was just unlucky, everyone else's was fine.....oh well !
the room was in need of a coat of paint, and a few finishing touches, and so was the bathroom, the hotel also has a well stocked and large lounge bar area, we went for breakfast on the Sunday morning and there was everything you expect, a very nice cooked full English, with hot tea and coffee, cereal and fruit juice.
overall I would say, lovely staff, they couldn't do enough for us, lovely breakfast, very dated decor, but ask yourselves " do I stay at a hotel for one night, to admire the decor?".

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed her while visiting the area for business. I arrived mid-evening tired from a long journey and there were no staff around. I kept pressing the bell with no response. Eventually a man came out and I was told my room had been let to someone else! I was told it would be 2 minutes get an alternative room ready but it took more like 30mins. I was offered a glass of wine but all I wanted was a shower. Eventually I was taken to my room which smelled like an entire can of cheap air freshened had just been sprayed in. It was small and dirty and very badly maintained. The cables were pulled out of the TV, I had to reconnect and retune. The radiator did not work. There was a stained 'decorative' cushion on the bed. There was hair in the bed and the whole room was very dusty.
There was a coach party staying and although my room was on the top floor, I could hear the loud entertainment all evening.
At breakfast time, there were no clean tables (one poor waitress run off her feet!) she cleared a table for me, only removing the cutlery on the plates so I was left with the last persons spoon for my cereal! My coffee cup was also grimey... Even after a shower I left the place feeling dirty! Decor is old and tired and in desperate need of a complete overhaul. I will never stay again and urge you not to either!!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Chester2222
St. Asaph, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We regularly use hotels all over the country as being a removal company we travel all over the country.
We had a removal booked in whitehaven so I needed to book my three young men into a hotel overnight . I found this hotel through late rooms . The cost of one night was nearly £100 , more than we would usually spend but I hoped for that money it would be a nice hotel for them.
Two of my men arrived about tea time , the third of my drivers had come from another job in Warwick .
He had been travelling for 6 hours.
One of my young men was waiting in reception for him to arrive , unfortunately he had been held up in traffic on the m6 .
At 11.45 he was told to get out of the reception and go to his room , the alarm was being set and he was not allowed to be downstairs . If he came down stairs they would all been thrown out of the hotel.
I contacted the hotel and asked to speak to the manager to explain the situation . How this man can run a business I don't know , I have never spoke to such a rude man in all my life . I don't even want to repeat some of the language he used , but basically he was not prepared to let anyone else into the hotel
I have a poor young man who has been working all day and driving since 6.00 pm who now has nowhere to sleep tonight.
The hotel is also very dirty and grubby , the bed linen is soiled , very dated ...
I only wish that I had taken the time to read the trip advisor before I booked .
I feel terrible that I have subjected my men who work extremely hard to this awful hotel

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Julie F
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2013

after our coach driver who liked to show you the back end of every thing we finally got to this HOOTELL ,it looked like something out of my great grannys old lounge room in the 50's ,photos all round the place of the owners family,we had to drag all of our suitecases up the stairs,the lift could only fit one person in it and it felt like a coffin , at tea time the bar did not open till half a hour before tea, as no one was there during the day to open the bar,,at tea time we all lined up like school to get in dinning room tables were to closed together, what you ordered the night before hand they run out off ,no tea or coffee was served with the meal,if you wanted tea ,coffee it was either in front lobby charged at 1.00pound for small cup 1.50 pound for large cup or go to youre room and make it youre self.even in the most basic hotel you get coffee tea with youre meal not hear we got water , this was terrible, at breakfast my husband ordered porridge they run out . my husband has terimal cancer he has trouble eating a lot of foods , so that is why we ordered the porridge and we asked if some more could be cooked their answer was( that it took to long as it was not instant ) what a disgrace ,my hubby did not get brekie , we went to tescios supermarket across from the hotel and bought yought cheese and other things my husband could eat ,also the state of the hotel,in our room we could not get the tv to work for 2 days,
Most important when you went to have a shower the hot water tap fell off in your hand and you had to bash it back on the wall also you had to do this with the hot water tap in the bath ,when we told lady at reception ,she said she knew just give it a bash ,, why put people in the room ,if my husband was not their when I was having that bath as I could not get the hot water to stop I would have been scalding . what if their was a child in the bath or an old lady ,,when we got back after being out all day in the coach the grandson of the owner would hand our keys out to us will answering the hotels phone and taking enquires at the front desk , he would have opened the bar if he was older. they were sighs saying you could not take any food or drink in youre room ,if the owner was not feeding us proper meals ,im taking food in my paid for room , this is the worst hotel ,worst service . yours r pebbles Sydney Australia

Room Tip: run if you see it faulty towers with old female basil
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rita S
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

After an horrendous thirteen hour journey with Diamond holidays we didn't think things could get worse but, they did!. The access to the hotel was very difficult having to drag suitcases up and down steps just to get to reception, the lift wasn't much use as it would only take one person and luggage at a time. The one wall the room that we had (123) was covered in large patches of damp and mould. In the bathroom the shower curtain and bath mat were also covered in mould. Tried to get some air into the room but window was painted shut.Complained to owner but she said no other room was available. On the whole food was quite good. We wouldn't recommend this hotel or Diamond holidays to anyone. After our three nights we were glad to be leaving but were unprepared for a fourteen hour journey home which. allowing for breaks should only take 7/8 hours.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends